Notary Rotary
e-docs
Notary Discussion History

e-docs
Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 1/23/09 12:51pm
Msg #275403

e-docs

I was just asked to take $10.00 for e-docs! Anyone else go along with this? How do we fight it?

Reply by CF on 1/23/09 12:56pm
Msg #275404

Tell them SURE my standard fee is $115.00 and my edoc fee is $10.00 or plug in whatever numbers you need to. LOL- but this is seriously insulting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/23/09 1:08pm
Msg #275405

You can't really fight it. They are a business, and so are you. All you can do is say, "No."

To some of these companies, they know the actual cost of printing edocs does not exceed $10, and that's why they drop the fees. And honestly, in most cases, if your actual printing costs exceed $10, you're doing something wrong. What they don't consider, though, is the time involved in waiting, printing, reviewing and compiling the docs. Some companies consider that in their edoc fees, others don't.

Reply by TRG_wy on 1/23/09 1:15pm
Msg #275407

The "actual" cost does include everything you noted. It just isn't the cost of toner, paper and equipment usage. Wish I could argue buying everything I need "at cost".

Just like the cost of fax-backs; tell them to send it to Kinkos and then quibble over the price.

Good points Marian.

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 1/23/09 1:37pm
Msg #275410

Re: e-docs....consider their savings...

over the way it once was. Thay have saved the salary of at least one employee, not including benefits, who printed, collated and sorted the docs, mailed them to the closer with the ensuing FedEx expense, got them back in, proofed them and FedEx'ed them back to the lender/TC. This is, of course in addition to the actual expense of copying. When you think about it, we should be charging alot more than $25. I have not, nor would I accept $10 as a print fee...no way, no how, no time....just say NO!

Reply by rolomia on 1/25/09 2:40pm
Msg #275547

Re: e-docs....consider their savings...

Unfortunately, there are way too may newbie notaries trying to make a fast buck at the experienced notary's expense. As a result, these green notaries are making less green per job, but getting more jobs. This is what happens when the market is flooded with notaries public. Too many notaries willing to work for peanuts just to get the assignments.

Fortunately, such notaries become quickly disillusioned about this profession when they discover that they are spending very nearly all of their time and money just to break even in this so-called lucrative profession. Supply exceeds demand. Signing/title companies win. Notaries lose. The only way to make it anymore is to start your own signing service.

Then, find the suckers, I mean the newbie notaries. Pay them peanuts. Believe me when I say, you won't have any trouble hiring these patsies, pansies, and pushovers. They're out there by the bushel, ripe for the picking (just make sure they have their green card...LOL).

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/23/09 2:07pm
Msg #275413

I totally agree with you, I'm just trying to say that's how "they" see it, even though we know that's NOT necessarily the case. They only tend to consider tangible costs, which is crazy. That's why place like Kinkos charge $0.05 a page or more.

I occasionally have to go there to have some spiral binding work done and I'm always annoyed that they charge $6.00 to drill a few holes and slip in a piece of plastic, knowing if I had the equipment my costs would be far less that that. But then... that's what happens when I need someone else to do it for me, so I willingly pay what they ask.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 1/23/09 2:50pm
Msg #275417

Actually, I have one company that is starting to have..

dox printed at Fedex Office (kinkos), for about $7 for two copies
of a 100+/- page pkg. I am sure that Fedex is not losing money on the deal.
I prefer printing them myself for my usual $25 fee, as my actual incremental
cost of printing such a pkg is about $3.
They are, of course, doing it to save $$.

Reply by CF on 1/23/09 2:55pm
Msg #275419

Re: Actually, I have one company that is starting to have..

That charge for Kinkos to print 2 sets of docs seems very- very low. Has Kinko's told you that fee or the company?

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/23/09 3:02pm
Msg #275421

Well, it could be that low if they pre-pay for bulk copies ahead of time. I can buy a pre-paid and the per copy cost works out to be less... but I also prefer printing at home, it's at least half the actual physical cost.

Reply by snoopdogMs on 1/23/09 3:13pm
Msg #275422

What about driving fee to get the docs?. n/m

Reply by snoopdogMs on 1/23/09 3:15pm
Msg #275424

Previous post should be under Bob's post n/m

Reply by Julie/IL on 1/23/09 3:29pm
Msg #275425

Re: What about driving fee to get the docs?.

I'm not sure about everyone, but we get paid a "little", very little, to pick up docs. Our base fee plus the little extra. Then we do get add'l $10 to pick up docs if the signing location is within a certain mile radius from us. (25-35 miles)

Reply by Julie/IL on 1/23/09 3:15pm
Msg #275423

We work for that same company that prints at Kinkos. When we picked them up last week the reciept was still attached and the company was charged $11 bucks and some change to print both sets. The bigger issue with sending them to Kinkos is a privacy issue. I'm sure if asked, the bwrs would not want some kid at Kinkos printing/viewing their important information. This of course is just my opinion.

Reply by dickb/wi on 1/23/09 5:54pm
Msg #275447

right on---it's called graham-leach-bliley act.... n/m

Reply by VIP Mobile Notaries on 1/23/09 10:50pm
Msg #275479

Kinkos $0.47 per page Re: e-docs

Latest kinkos price per page printed is $0.47

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 1/23/09 11:19pm
Msg #275481

Re: Kinkos $0.47 per page Re: e-docs

That is the charge if you print off of their computers or your
own laptop and use their self service printers.
If you give them your own media (Disc, thumb drive , etc.)
and they print for you , then my experience is about $8 to $10 if they print for
you in b & w on regular paper and with no post print processing for about 200
pages. Problem is if they are busy, you may need to wait.
I have done this in a pinch a few times. Made sure I recd my media back
and they handed me the dox directly when finished with p;rinting.

Reply by dickb/wi on 1/23/09 5:49pm
Msg #275445

what about your time??........... n/m

Reply by BobbiCT on 1/23/09 2:28pm
Msg #275415

Re-statement of terms ...

My all-inclusive fee for this signing is $XXX.
I don't mind if you note in your file that $10 of that fee is for eDocs.

The company either accepts your "total" fee, which includes eDocs, or it doesn't.

Reply by John_NorCal on 1/23/09 2:54pm
Msg #275418

Re: Re-statement of terms ...

Now that's the way to "fight" them, just lay down the facts, take it or leave it.

Reply by Leon_CO on 1/23/09 4:27pm
Msg #275429

It's a very simple equation

If your normal fee is $75 + $25 for edocs, and they want to offer only $10 for edocs, ...

then your normal fee just became $90 + $10 for edocs.

Good luck, and have a nice weekend.

Reply by Dennis_IN on 1/25/09 12:40pm
Msg #275541

Re: It's a very simple equation Fees are changed...

They start out by agreeing to your fees but after the fact they decide that the docs will be printed at Kinkos and remove the print fee. If they will accept a higher fee up front great, but in most cases they "will have to get the higher fee approved", and we all know what that means...Those of you that deal with this company know they are not super low ballers but they do have a set fee structure and unless they are desperate they will keep calling down the list to find a notary that will accept their fees. If they tell you up front then it's our choice to accept the fee...but don't alter our confirmed contract after the fact!!!!! The one time they did that to me I wrote off the difference as bad debt!!

Reply by Todd/OH on 1/23/09 5:06pm
Msg #275435

To fight it

It's the same power as the "power of the consumer". You can just say no. You don't have to accept it. If enough notaries refuse the arrangement, a mutiny is started (sort of). A professional notary has his/her fee and won't go below that. Ever had "sticker shock" from an excellent physician or reputable attorney?

Ya want good work? Pay my fee !! Simple as that.

Reply by Julie/MI on 1/23/09 7:52pm
Msg #275468

FHA's are a killer

Price yourself accordingly. Normally they are 132 pages but I just returned from one that was 195. I called and am getting $10 more. Even title was shocked at the size of that package.

Reply by pan/nd on 1/24/09 7:53pm
Msg #275511

Re: FHA's are a killer

Julie,

Not every FHA is a killer....I did several last summer where the total amount of

pages...INCLUDING title docs was less than 75.

I also did one where the total was 205.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.