Notary Rotary
sarcasm
Notary Discussion History

sarcasm
Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 1/8/09 3:03pm
Msg #273872

sarcasm

Some of the arrogant, sarcastic comments on this board are offensive. Some signing agents seem to think that they are the most intelligent, well informed and best educated notaries that ever graced this earth. Maybe we should all bow down to the exceptional intelligence and knowledge that they have been graced with by some unseen force.
I did not list any names but with all your higher intelligence I am sure you know who you are.

Reply by Jessie Calderon on 1/8/09 3:28pm
Msg #273875

I agree with you COMPLETELY!!!

Reply by MW/VA on 1/8/09 3:57pm
Msg #273880

I agree. Expertise shouldn't equal arrogance. After a while you will learn to ignore the cyberbullies.

Reply by Becca_FL on 1/8/09 4:44pm
Msg #273885

I love sarcasm...I can't stand whiners. n/m

Reply by sue_pa on 1/8/09 4:46pm
Msg #273886

really pat, are your feelings that hurt when you are wrong? You came on this board and posted about a situation where the LO told you to go over the docs line by line, page by page. Apparently you didn't think that was right or you wouldn't have told us the situation. Without looking back, EVERYONE who responded told you that the LO was wrong and that it is not your job to do so. Then, you come on here and ask where to purchase a book to pull out of your briefcase at a closing should someone in the future tell yuo to go over the docs line by line, page by page. What is it that I am missing here ?????

Don't know how to include them here but little kitty kats, butterfies flitting by and baby bunnie hopping along ... if that makes you feel better about a situation where you don't grasp what your job entails, AT ALL.

If someone knowing what their job is and isn't makes them ... the most intelligent, well informed and best educated notaries that ever graced this earth.... then so be it but it sure beats someone not knowing why they are sitting at that table.

Reply by pat/WA on 1/8/09 5:03pm
Msg #273888

Sue I am so reassured that you recognized yourself in my previous message. Although, I had no doubt that you would.

Reply by sue_pa on 1/8/09 5:27pm
Msg #273891

why aren't you answering the question?

EVERYONE told you you don't explain a reverse mortgage line by line, page by page. Then you wanted to know where to purchase a book to pull out at closings should anyone in the future ask you to explain line by line, page by page. Is your intention to throw the book at the LO or to explain the loan, line by line, page by page? Since you charge for your services, WHY don't you know the very basics of what your job entails?

Little ponies and puppies stopping by to say HI !! ...

Reply by Philip Johnson on 1/8/09 5:19pm
Msg #273890

Geez Pat good thing you live here in Washington.

For with skin as thin as yours, if we had a lot of sun you'd risk sunburning some of your internal organs.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/8/09 5:30pm
Msg #273893

The vast majority of professionals recognize how to use limited amounts of sarcasm and humor while still maintaining a professional tone. Others don't.

The fact that some of the worst offenders have posts removed by moderators with notes about being abusive or inappropriate speak for itself. The best we can hope for is that they keep it to a slow simmer rather than a boil and that we not excessively feed their egos or need to bully.

It's tough, and this place has earned a bad reputation for being unfriendly because of it. Ask for help, and you'll get opinions. You'll like some, you won't like others. Some will help, others won't. Personally, some of the rudest people here do have a great deal of knowledge, and are often correct. That doesn't make me have to like them or want to invite them over for dinner, though. Smile

Reply by KODI/CA on 1/8/09 5:36pm
Msg #273895

Agree completely Marian. Fortunately these egotistical unprofessional individuals can be ignored. There are many, many more contributors to this forum with equal or greater knowledge that know how to express themselves. Just ignore the rude few.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/8/09 8:47pm
Msg #273910

Please note: butterflies, flowers and kittens in the sunshine abound the margins of my missive.

I've been lurking around all your crying, wallowing and flip-floppping the past few days getting my jollies privately at the sheer stupidity you have displayed with your questions for advice that you appear not to want. Another who only wants to hear what is 'nice', whether relevant or not.

Dry your eyes, say thank you to those who bothered to give you some time and serious attention to your travails. All I can say: you must NOT be from WA as the spirit of the people there is not this weak. I am from WA, God's Country, the last frontier with the greatest pioneers ever and that abiding spirit that is infused thusly into each of us, and if you did happen to pop into the world in WA your parents didn't edumacate you properly in the finer points of learning.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/8/09 8:47pm
Msg #273911

Please note: butterflies, flowers and kittens in the sunshine abound the margins of my missive.

I've been lurking around all your crying, wallowing and flip-floppping the past few days getting my jollies privately at the sheer stupidity you have displayed with your questions for advice that you appear not to want. Another who only wants to hear what is 'nice', whether relevant or not.

Dry your eyes, say thank you to those who bothered to give you some time and serious attention to your travails. All I can say: you must NOT be from WA as the spirit of the people there is not this weak. I am from WA, God's Country, the last frontier with the greatest pioneers ever and that abiding spirit that is infused thusly into each of us, and if you did happen to pop into the world in WA your parents didn't edumacate you properly in the finer points of learning.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/8/09 8:49pm
Msg #273912

sorry for the echo... n/m

Reply by Roland on 1/8/09 9:51pm
Msg #273919

What is the purpose of the sarcasm. Usually it is by people who are themselves insecure.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/8/09 11:14pm
Msg #273934

The most knowledgeable person I know on these boards is PAW, who shares his expertise without seeking self-gratification. He is a true professional & never stoops to personal opinions/attacks. He is a class-act.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/9/09 2:35am
Msg #273940

I certainly couldn't disagree with that statement! However, there are several others here who I've come to believe also have a great deal of experience and success in this business. Personally, if one of them has something to say that I might be able to learn from, I don't care how they put it or how coarse the language is. I'll take whatever good info I can get from whatever source, as long as I believe they know what they are talking about. [Ultimately, though, we all have to depend on our own best judgement.]

The posts that degrade into nonsense, personal attacks, sarcasm and name calling are fairly easy to skip over (although sometimes they're good for a laugh...) Bottom line, though, I figure that if I'm asking for free information from someone else, I have little right to criticize how it's delivered. I'm grateful to get whatever I can -- and like many others here, I've learned a great deal from this board over the years. Do I wish sometimes that some of the discussion was less crude and rude? Sure. But like I said, it's my choice what to read and what to ignore. Just my 2 cents.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 1/9/09 5:48am
Msg #273946

An analogy, hopefully for perspective

Let’s put this into a more visual perspective …

Let’s pretend that NotRot is really a company where we all work. It’s a huge company with a lot of people working together – so there’s obviously a lot of different personalities, different levels of experience & skill, various degrees of business savvy as well as different depths of intuition, intellect and the ability to grasp the whole picture.

If it WAS a company – some of these people would be on the ground floor, some would be in data processing, some would just be manning the phone, a lesser number would be in management and a select few would be upper management.

Every day, a cross-section of all the different people would sit around a table and avail themselves to a long line of others who want information and/or opinions about their jobs. Over the years, these queries begin to sound like we’re trapped in the “Groundhog Day” movie – so many of the same things, over and over and over.

It’s easy to imagine how ‘management’ can begin to feel frustrated, sometimes angry, often baffled, truly concerned for their industry – they still ‘do time’ in the query room, but they’re cutting to the chase now, some more than others and always an across-the-board smattering of personalities and experience levels.

The industry has some serious problems and the time to be fluffy was over years ago. Some people have a very good grasp of that, and some don’t.

So … it’s your turn, you come into the room and present your question and get your answers from all those who happen to be there at the moment. You leave, and then get back in line, come back in, and in essence say “I didn’t like your FIRST set of opinions, so I’m doing it differently – but now tell me how to go about doing it the way I want to do it.”

If it really WAS a company where you worked, you’d have likely been fired on the spot. Instead, you had to take some good opinions from some very, very skilled & knowledgeable people that was a little hard for you to stand there and listen to.

So you get BACK in line, come BACK into the room and you try to admonish those whose advice you didn’t really want in the first place about a delivery style you didn’t like.

My question to you is – whose opinions and advice would you really like to have?

Please understand my intent is not to imply any person here is self-appointed ‘management’ over anyone else, it’s just an analogy that I thought might bring a little better understanding.

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/9/09 7:52am
Msg #273950

Perfect analogy, Renee! n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/10/09 1:13am
Msg #274072

I agree!! Brava!!!! n/m

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/9/09 9:04am
Msg #273965

And the early lead for 2009 post of the year goes to Renee! n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 1/9/09 8:15am
Msg #273957

Each of us, individually, is the sum of all our experiences. We all have different ways of responding to stimuli. I'm always amazed at the bluntness, rudeness, bashing and sabotage that posted here. Many members are more polished and civilized than others. I am always grateful for posters like PAW and Sylvia in Florida who have constructive, professional input and don't put members of this community down, no matter how much they might have invited critiquing. Mostly, I enjoy this board and those who are professional, well intentioned and have valuable input. Those more childish, mean spirited posters don't mean much to me and so I ignore them. So if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen, or just stand aside and observe and don't invite the surly, cutting feedback you're bound to stir up.

Reply by sue_pa on 1/9/09 8:30am
Msg #273962

the REAL reason for much of this

MANY of us earn a living at this job ... it is not play money, it is not extra money, it is not supplemental income. EVERY time someone screws up in the field is cheapens the rest of us little by little.

There are a lot of methods and ways that are completely open to interpretation and our own ways of doing things - recently, the RTC calendar, signing additional copies of the RTC, thumb prints, spending time reviewing docs ahead of time, etc. No way is right and no way is wrong.

What is WRONG and that frustrates me to no end are the ones who advertise that they know how to do a job, want to charge for the service, and then have no idea what their job entails. I personally feel if you don't understand the entire job you should be a point and sign notary and work only for the companies who want point and sign notaries - there are plenty of them. If you know what you are doing, you can offer your experience and expertise to those companies who are willing to pay for that.

Knowing the reason you are with the borrowers is the most basic job function we have. Being told, EMPHATICALLY by many that a certain course of action is incorrect and then having your little feelings hurt in a day or so because you choose to ignore information given (not a grey area but absolute) is totally behond my comprehension. Bambi, daisies and baby birdies chirping in their nests attached to soften the blow.

A year or more ago someone came on here and said they had received an order for a purchase but had never completed one. She was told to "just wing it". I almost fell out of my chair. The biggest financial purchase of someone's life and someone at the table is going to 'wing it'. Of course, the hiring party in that case is the one really at fault for not 'interviewing' the individual they hired. What abuot the guy who came on here not too long ago. He said he was honest with a caller about his lack of experience. He was basically told to evade the truth to future callers. My belief is that he should seek out those who hire the inexperienced and gotten some experience.

I have always been different than many others about beginners. I've always felt that if your experience conssits of taking a class and being 'certified', you should be on your knees thanking someone for giving you $50 and teaching you as you go.

It drives me nuts when I see people asking LEGAL questions on this board. How in the world doesn't their brain function properly to know they should be asking their client ... rather than 'certified sigining agents' around the country giving their past experiences. Can't you see that as a defense ... but I asked on NR and here's what they told me !!

And one of my biggest peeves are those who ask a question and then have their little feelings hurt because they are wrong, don't like other points of view, etc. Remember, don't say something if you don't have anything nice to say !!! How stupid is that. Thinking we should sit by idly with our mouths shut while someone else screws up our jobs.

Everyone makes mistakes. There are mistakes due to being human and then there are mistakes due to ignorance and there is a huge difference.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/10/09 1:27am
Msg #274073

Another excellent post!! Thanks! n/m

Reply by CaliNotary on 1/9/09 1:44pm
Msg #273991

You're obviously not that offended by it

I think punching babies in the face is wrong. I don't prove how wrong it is by punching babies in the face.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.