Notary Rotary
what would you do
Notary Discussion History

what would you do
Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by AngelTX on 1/8/09 8:17pm
Msg #273904

what would you do

Someone else asked me to post this: If you new someone who you brought into the signing field to help them out, but by doing this you actually shot yourself in the foot because now they are getting the work that you were getting and are now your competition, now has gotten in trouble and actually has a felony conviction since they first started earlier this year, and are still doing signings. what would you do, report them or just be quiet, now that person thinks they are the shit, with all the extra money they are getting.

Reply by Angelina Saenz on 1/8/09 8:18pm
Msg #273905

please pardon the typos, ladies and gents!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/8/09 8:28pm
Msg #273906

"now has gotten in trouble and actually has a felony conviction since they first started earlier this year, and are still doing signings"

Providing you have proof of the above, report them to the SOS - let the SOS take it from there.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/8/09 8:43pm
Msg #273909

I agree with Linda.

Make sure you have proof and call the Secretary of State. They can verify a felony conviction lickety split. If it is in Texas, Texas has form 2304 to file a complaint... which, ironically enough, has to be notarized.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/forms/2304.pdf

Personally, it doesn't matter what the history is... a felon is a felon and if he shouldn't be a notary, he should be reported. The Texas form is clear, though, that the complaint must contain personal knowledge only.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 1/8/09 8:56pm
Msg #273913

I appears to me that this form is only to be used to report

Notorial misconduct that occured in complianant's presence.
Does TX law provide that a Notary's commission can be revoked
upon conviction of a felony? If so, then the proper thing would be to
inform the SOS of the conviction by referromg them to the court case #.
I can barely keep track of applicable IL law.

Reply by JerryhFL on 1/9/09 3:52pm
Msg #274006

Why he, may it is a she

Reply by jba/fl on 1/8/09 8:35pm
Msg #273908

Sounds like the green eyed monster is with you

Yes, training another and introducing them to the joys of your job and having them be more successful than you had hoped for, well, it is a bit disappointing. At the same time though, take inventory of what you offer, how you offer it, and resolve to put this out of your mind while you continue with your marketing efforts, which will put you out there to more companies.

As for the other, the felony conviction: that does present a delimma; will it be the right horn or the left horn of one of your longhorns there in Texas that will sweep the mess aside, only you can decide. Philosophically though, these things will get out sooner or later. I assume that this person is no longer your friend; that being the case you can move ahead ethically.

Please note: butterflies, flowers and kittens in the sunshine abound the margins of my missive.

Reply by AngelTX on 1/8/09 9:20pm
Msg #273917

Re: Sounds like the green eyed monster is with you

Even if she was still my friend, other things have presented and she decided to stop the friendship, I just cant do that, like the other poster stated it will all come out and I am not mean enough to report her. I just somewhat feel responible since I am the one who brought her in, I have also turned on alot of others and they are doing just great too.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/8/09 10:13pm
Msg #273923

Well, I would be mean enough to report her and it would have nothing to do with jealousy or history, but everything to do with the fact that she is no longer qualfied to be a a notary.

Would you let a pilot continue to fly if you knew he were drunk?
Would you let a cab driver continue to work if he lost his drivers' licsnse becuase of wreckless driving?

Per the TX notary website: ( http://www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/npcomp.shtml )

========================
The secretary of state has the authority to suspend or revoke a notary public's commission or take other disciplinary action for "good cause". A good cause may include, but not be limited to, the following:

(1) a final conviction for a crime involving moral turpitude;

(b) A crime involving moral turpitude means the commission of a crime mala in se (an offense that is evil or wrong from its own nature or by natural law irrespective of statute) which may include, but not be limited to:

(1) Class A and B type misdemeanors; and

(2) felony convictions which have not been set aside, or for which no pardon or certificate of restoration of citizenship rights have been granted.

(c) The dismissal and discharge of proceedings under either the misdemeanor adult probation and supervision law or the adult probation, parole, and mandatory supervision law shall not be considered a conviction for the purposes of determining good cause.

(d) Final Class C type misdemeanor convictions shall not be considered in determining good cause.
====================

SO I guess it depends on the final disposition of her case. At any rate... yes, I'd probably still mention to the SoS.

Can you tell us what the conviction was for?

Reply by AngelTX on 1/8/09 10:27pm
Msg #273926

drug possession (cocaine and Dwi

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/8/09 10:39pm
Msg #273929

Well... that sounds like moral turpitude to me. Drugs and a DWI?

Lets put it this way, I wouldn't want a recently convicted felon notarized anything of mine... or anyone else.

The SoS should be made aware of the situation. I doubt they actively monitor notaries for convictions during their commissions. After that, let the SoS decide what to do. If they feel she's still qualified to be a notary...that's their decision.

I'll bet the SoS has no idea, though, and they'd be very interested to learn of it, too.

Reply by CaliNotary on 1/9/09 1:25pm
Msg #273984

"I just somewhat feel responible since I am the one who brought her in"

Isn't that more than a little egocentric on your part? In what universe are you responsible for your friend acting like a dumbass? She's an adult, she can do what she pleases, and she can also accept the consequences of it all.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/8/09 11:07pm
Msg #273932

It is a moral dilemna for you & we all encounter "tests" of our integrity.
Your notary duties outweigh the friendship. I'm sure that reporting to the SOS may look like a jealous revenge, but IMO it does need to reported to the SOS.
I have also trained another notary, who is a friend & competitor. It has helped to have a "team" member to pass along signings I can't take. On the other hand, if they were to steal my accounts, that would be another story.
It also sounds like your "friend" is using the money they are making to buy cocaine--too bad.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/9/09 8:03am
Msg #273954

Drugs and DWI offenses show a complete lack of regard for the human race and one's self. Bad judgment in the first place to be using and illegal, irresponsible and very selfish. Doesn't have what it takes to be a professional notary. Needs to step aside and relinquish her commission and destroy her notary seal. Not the calibre of notary we need out there to represent our profession.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/9/09 8:16am
Msg #273959

oops...this got posted in the wrong section...belongs under Pat/WA~let's see about relocating this.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/9/09 8:18am
Msg #273960

never mind, think I need to go get some more sleep. Loonggg day yesterday!

Reply by sue_pa on 1/9/09 8:07am
Msg #273955

sounds like you're mixing up two scenarios.

If you feel strongly enough about her misdeeds (and it would always appear on the surface to me that cocaine possession is a misdeed) then you should report her. Bringing her into the field, helping her out, her being more successful than you, her thinking you're shit, etc., all should have nothing to do with it if you feel strongly enough.

One thing ... has she been convicted or just charged? Might make a difference.

Reply by snoopdogMs on 1/9/09 4:28pm
Msg #274018

Did you know this person's character

before you trained her? Is her behavior now a surprise? My sister had a best friend who she turned a blind eye to concerning this friends philandering until this gal stole her husband. If you hang with snakes, they are prone to bite.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.