Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
21st Century Legal Services, check bounced.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Jim/AL on 3/28/09 6:15pm
Msg #282535

Should have gone with my gut and turned them down. I should not be surprised, they paid me in 10 days and got the bank news today...cost me $8.00 for their bounced check! The client paid them with money order so 21st Century got paid and I got burned. Posted in signing central also, but wanted to give others a heads up.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/28/09 6:26pm
Msg #282536

That's too bad, Jim - sorry to hear it....I certainly hope you're going to pursue payment and reimbursement of your bank fees..

I know those applications pay a fee of about 50% of a standard refi fee, and if $65-$85 checks are bouncing, that doesn't sound good at all...this company may be in trouble..MHO

Reply by ConnieK on 3/29/09 11:18pm
Msg #282624

Hmmmm! Legal services check bounced! If it was reversed, they would be on YOU! Call lender, then borrower (if no action) if Notary Fee was on HUD...keep on it! Have a confirmation for fee??? If so, tell them you will report to BBB (check to see if a rating exists with BBB for them.)

Reply by jba/fl on 3/31/09 9:11pm
Msg #282932

Re: 21st Century Legal Services, check bounced.Hmmmmm

LFC used that ploy: have to get new bank account, be a few days, then they said remove thyself from thy offices post haste - we are done.

Also, another issue: $8 bounced check fee? Try my bank: $32.00 - yep, $32.00 Try collecting that!

Reply by aatatusko on 3/28/09 6:31pm
Msg #282537

Bummer. Live and learn. Here is an article from my morning paper:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/27/AR2009032703058.html

Reply by nez on 3/28/09 9:19pm
Msg #282540

I am so glad u posted this, just got an email to do one for them the 1st, thank goodness I can turn them down, I wasn;t feeling all great about this company anyway. Hope you get your check collected.

Reply by A-1 Signing Agents, LLC on 3/28/09 9:30pm
Msg #282542

Sorry this happened to you Jim. Careful now. This is the same company that threatened to sue me for slander. Last weeks posts.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 3/28/09 9:49pm
Msg #282546

I have been googling them. Inevitably, the positive comments about them read like a PR article. The kind business's pay to have in the business section of a newspaper. All comments have the website and phone number in them as well.
I did one for them. Never again. No copies of the docs were left with the homeowner and they were instructed not to fill out the forms. Just fill out their name and adress info and sign them.
This does not sound good all around to me. If they are legitimate, why so many questions being raised?

Reply by A-1 Signing Agents, LLC on 3/28/09 9:57pm
Msg #282547

Not to smart on the person's part who would just sign a form with no info on it. They left themselves wide ope at that point for the scam.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 3/28/09 10:21pm
Msg #282548

ANother thing I noticed

A lot of the defenders of 21st appear only for their pro comments and have no links to their information. One has the same name as one who contacted me for a job.

Yes it was stupid of them to sign blank pages. The speil they were told was that some one would call them and interview them over the phone and fill it in. These people were definately under stress.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/29/09 9:30am
Msg #282553

I just did a quick search of the last seven names

to post about this company - of the seven, two people had multiple prior posts, one had two posts and four of them only had the one PSA post....makes ya go hmmmm....

Reply by Notary/Guy on 3/28/09 10:56pm
Msg #282549

3/28/2009 Unorganized, bad instructions, paid quick & check bounced. Never again! AL
3/27/2009 Told client not to pay mortgage. Not to fill out forms just sign them . No More! WI
3/21/2009 Never received confirmation for signing.No calls.Then docs arrived today!NO way! HI
3/17/2009 pays on time, really, really hard to work with. doesn't return calls, bad comm. WA
3/17/2009 Never can get their act together & Borrowers must give ck or u do not get paid. NJ
3/16/2009 paid 1st two times and now 90 days late. NEVER AGAIN - RED FLAG TX
3/9/2009 Never received confirmation for accepted signing...very unprofessional! MO
3/6/2009 i personally think they rip off their "borrowers". won't EVER work for them TX
2/27/2009 Very questionable. Check them out on the BBB website NY
2/24/2009 Very fast pay, professional. OK
2/21/2009 company wants notary to represent self as customer service rep for the company. MI
2/18/2009 I never had a problem getting paid from them. NC
2/7/2009 Thaey are very profesional NC
2/5/2009 Paid me within 18 days MA
2/4/2009 I like working with this company the job is easy and they pay on time CA
1/30/2009 I think they're shady, couldn't tell the client that I'm a Notary. CA
1/26/2009 http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre42.shtm VA
1/24/2009 They gave wrong address for job!! and now 45 days past due for my invoice. FL
1/2/2009 I have been contacted by this company and have decided not to accept any assignm TN
12/29/2008 Booked me for appt, but never sent confirm as promised - seem very disorganized

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 3/29/09 10:01am
Msg #282557

This company gets homeowners when they are down and out and take their last buck in the bank in hope that they will help them out with no guarantees. I wish those of you who work for them would think about what you are doing to people. And I'm so sorry Jim got stung. There's a lot of investigation on going about companies like this one.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 3/29/09 10:37am
Msg #282562

One final thing. They want you to present yourself as their representative. To "work on our staff". But will not answer questions about this status or send either a W2 or W9.
They also do not set up appts with the homeowners. Your call is the first for the appt. If the homeowner does not respond to you, they tell you to keep trying for them.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/29/09 10:45am
Msg #282563

Re: 21st Century Legal Services....Ilene...

"This company gets homeowners when they are down and out and take their last buck in the bank "

That's the part that bothers me the most...in the case of the last one they called me for (which didn't go through) the people were NOT late on the mortgage, were NOT down and out....the guy was on total disability tand getting only $1,500/month and I was supposed to collect almost $3K in checks...this guy had inquired over three months prior about modifying his loan....to me that was the closest to "predatory" I'd seen...

Reply by Jim/AL on 3/29/09 1:40pm
Msg #282568

Thanks, I warned owners, please feel sorry for them, not me.

I told the homeowner that I did NOT represent 21st Century, and I was not sure what kind of company they were when I confirmed the appt.. I suggested she research them before our appointment and before handing them any cash. She checked with the BBB and got good info. on them (I did the same and the info. is mostly good, but a bit sketchy) and she also had a friend (who was my second and LAST appt. for them) check on the internet and they also felt like they were reputable and helping people.
I felt sorry for the both homeowners situations and prayed that 21st Century was a reputable company that would help them get back on track. Yes, I got burned and cannot afford it, but I feel more sorry for the homeowners who probably will not be getting the help they were seeking. I still want to hope and pray that they do!
Companies/people like this usually get what is coming to them sooner or later.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/29/09 3:12pm
Msg #282574

If the gov. got the loan mod program rolling that is supposed to be coming, this kind of thing will come to an end.

Reply by MichiganAl on 3/29/09 8:11pm
Msg #282609

Some of us tried to warn everyone that this smelled

But a lot of people didn't want to hear it. Not our business what they do some said. As long as we get paid who cares some said.

Yep, should have gone with your gut. Every time I go against my gut, I end up kicking myself. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck.

Reply by Taylor Smith on 3/30/09 5:26pm
Msg #282714

I have done many signings for this company, and have been paid for all of my assignments. Out of the last two checks that I received, one bounced. I contacted them, and it was due to the fact that they changed banks. I re-sent my invoice, and they cut me a new check. No big deal. I look forward to working with this company again in the future. The assignment was easy, and I received my payment in a reasonable time frame. Even when the customers decided not to sign, I still received payment. 21st Century had come through on everything with me. Obviously, some people do not know how to handle certain situation. Trust me, 21st Century is a good company, and anyone would be foolish not to take a job from them. It is so easy, I almost feel over-paid.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/30/09 5:35pm
Msg #282715

Another shill: Taylor n/m

Reply by Shoshana Roller on 3/30/09 11:07pm
Msg #282783

Yep! Definitely a shill! n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/30/09 7:20pm
Msg #282736

Check your state laws before proceeding here,

Taylor Smith of CA...

"It is so easy, I almost feel over-paid"....Good Grief!!

Reply by MichiganAl on 3/30/09 11:17pm
Msg #282786

How truly stupid you must think we are. n/m

Reply by Murphy Brown on 3/31/09 8:02pm
Msg #282912

to whom ever it may concern: the check that bounced was only because, the company was changing accounts (and signer), for your information, you were going to paid by money order, but refused, so you should not bad mouth other companies, if you are not sure of yourself or others!!!Guess what they paid me my money-orders the very next DAY!!!!! Please do not expect everyone to believe your stories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply by Lilia Dominguez on 3/31/09 8:59pm
Msg #282925

Well with the whole checks bouncing, I myself had a check that bounced and as soon as I got the news that my check bounced, I was very frustrated. I called the ladies over at the office and was very angry at the moment, but when I talked to the young lady she clarified that the bank account that the company originally had was closed and in that process the checks that were already issued were being collected back and then they would be reimbursing the check amount plus the fees that were charged. In all reality, yes this was a matter of panic but the way we were all handling it, was not the way we should have handled it. Jim, you should have called the office and gotten everything clarified and then just accepted your money order for the reimbursement of your fees instead of creating this whole dilemma.

Reply by Yamileth Cruz on 3/31/09 8:40pm
Msg #282922

Hello there. As soon as I heard this I called them to make sure that my cheks for my fees were not going to bounce. I send them my invoice again and everything is good now. You should send them the invoice and the $8 for your bounce check and give them a call to let them know, they should reimburse the whole amount.

Reply by Lucy Levreau on 3/31/09 9:03pm
Msg #282928

I have been working with for them months and was concerned when I heard what was going on with the bounced checks.
I too do have outstanding invoices on signing that I have done in the past week or so. I called
to make sure that would be issued were indeed going to be ok. That all was alright and the matter
had been addressed and fixed.

Reply by Sheila Weaver on 6/23/09 10:41am
Msg #293191

I WISH I WOULD HAVE READ THESE POST BEFORE I TOOK ON THREE SIGINING WITH THEM. I COMPLETED THREE SIGINING(04/2009-05/2009) AND RECEIVED ONE CHECK AFTER MONTHS OF CALLING-THREATING-REPORTING THEM TO NATIONAL NOTARY ASSOCIATION-EMAILING -FAXING THEM AND SSPEAKING WITH HEATHER DIAZ(WHOM IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE PERSON WHO CUTS CHECKS). ALL MY SIGNERS SENT IN CHECKS/MONEY ORDERS SO THEY RECEIVED THEIR MONIES. I RECEIVED ONE CHECK FOR $85.00 THAT BOUNCED AND NOW MY TIME, ENEGRY AND GAS HAS COSTED ME THE NSF CHARGE. SO YES ALLTHE POST ABOUT THIS COMPANY IS TRUE. ALL NOTARIES BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY
I AM STILL TRYING TO GET MY MONEY

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.