Notary Rotary
Acronym Overload
Notary Discussion History

Acronym Overload
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Jim Partridge on 3/2/09 10:35am
Msg #279202

Acronym Overload

OMG! That would be "oh my God". But most of you knew that. I've been reading this bulletin board for some time and I'm still confounded by the acronyms. Sure, I can figure out most of them but when I can't, I'm lost. Please don't flame on me (which seems to be the norm here and that's why I never post), just point me in the right direction if you will. Is there a list somewhere that I've overlooked?
My new HDDVD is NG on my LCDTV without an HDMI connection. OK? LOL

Reply by Les_CO on 3/2/09 10:44am
Msg #279203

Try Google Gadgets "Internet Slang Translator"

Reply by Linda Juenger on 3/2/09 10:44am
Msg #279204

Talk about overload. Try texting with a high school or college kid. Almost impossible sometimes. I just call them. Easier. lol

Reply by BEEJ on 3/2/09 10:58am
Msg #279209

Re: Acronym Overload. I agree

Jim,

I agree, the acronyms are sometimes confusing and I find myself trying to find the meaning to comprehend posts. Suggestion, I would like to see NOTROT create an alphabetical list of acronyms in "The Library" since this would be the most logical place to look. Users could add to list accordingly. Most of the lingo I can get through, but when a acronym is used that I'm unfamiliar with I try to use context to create meaning, but this doesn't always work.

I would like to start with DOT = Deed of Trust. It essentially takes the place of a mortgage. This is not used in all states.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/2/09 11:01am
Msg #279210

Paul Williamson (a/k/a PAW) has a list on his website

google him or find one of his posts here and you'll be all set...

Actually - you can probably also just google the acronym you're questioning and it'll probably pop up - including many you probably don't wish to see!!...Smile

Reply by BEEJ on 3/2/09 11:17am
Msg #279214

Re: Paul Williamson (a/k/a PAW) has a list on his website

Linda TYFI.

Check out Paul's link to
http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=D

PAW, you may want to add DOT to your list and thank you for providing this info on your website.

Reply by PAW on 3/3/09 9:50am
Msg #279302

Re: Paul Williamson (a/k/a PAW) has a list on his website

The link you provided is for "internet" acronyms. That is, commonly used on the internet. The list I have on my website (http://www.pawnotary.com/tla.htm) is specific to loan signings. (DOT is on the list.)

Reply by Jim Partridge on 3/2/09 12:56pm
Msg #279221

My dad once told me to "never state the obvious-it's arrogant" or something like that. Anyway, I didn't mean the "common" acronyms, I'm referring to the acronyms that are unique to this forum.
IREP
HECM
TC's
POA
EOM
ETF
G/B/U
SOX
SE
DFWAI
And the list goes on and on (yes, I know what some of the above are, but I'll bet nobody knows what all of them mean).

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/2/09 1:18pm
Msg #279226

IREP- A company
HECM - Home Equity Conversion Mortgage, a/k/a Reverse Mortgage
TC's - Title Company/s
POA -Power of Attorney
EOM - End of Month (busy time)
ETF - got me hanging
G/B/U - Shorthand for Is this co. Good/Bad/Ugly?
SOX - Sign on the X (a very bad notary-abusing co. with the longest, baddest rep. on the planet)
SE - Self Employed
DFWAI - ???

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/2/09 1:25pm
Msg #279228

ETF - Exchange Traded Funds....or if you meant EFT - Electronic Funds Transfer

DFWAI - Don't F**n Worry About It

And yes - I got the rest...<G>

Reply by jba/fl on 3/2/09 2:51pm
Msg #279235

And I did know these too! Not too dense (notwithstanding the other issue of the day) LOL

Reply by Jim Partridge on 3/2/09 3:06pm
Msg #279237

Linda, I had to laugh because I didn't think anyone would get the DFWAI. I guess it's more common than I thought. Thank you for your help.

Oh, and I re-read my earlier post and realized that some might think my comment about "never state the obvious" to be disrespectful. Not my intention...I should check my posts for tone as well as content. My bad.

Anyway, thank you everyone for the acronym help.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/2/09 3:14pm
Msg #279238

I have to fess up...

I had to google it - I had NO idea what it was!! LOL..Smile

Reply by jba/fl on 3/2/09 2:50pm
Msg #279234

Can always use http://www.urbandictionary.com and find just about all you need, and don't need. (Well, that's presumptive - what do I know?)

Reply by BEEJ on 3/2/09 3:03pm
Msg #279236

if you want a surprise look up DOT in jba / fl post n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/2/09 3:15pm
Msg #279239

I'm not sure I get what you mean, BEEJ...what post? n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 3/2/09 3:18pm
Msg #279240

SP: urban dictiionary is the reference in my post. n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/2/09 4:46pm
Msg #279248

Re: SP: urban dictiionary ... ah...got it.. n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 3/2/09 4:06pm
Msg #279244

Too funny! ROFL! We probably all need to get with it. I heard the Twitter site is one of the latest blackberry info sites. Anyone Twitter?

Reply by Pat/IL on 3/2/09 4:28pm
Msg #279247

I don't tweet, I don't twitter. Another point of view.

I may come off as a contrarian troublemaker with this, but it wouldn't be the first time. I think anybody asking for answers on a message board should try to make it easy to understand the question, and not fill it with acronyms. If I am otherwise inclined to help, I am not inclined to google aqcronyms that the author was too lazy to spell out in the first place.

If the author is taking the time to answer a question, I have a little bit more patience with the acronyms.

If somebody is just making a general point, or small talk, and wants to be understood, introducing uncommon acronyms will not help - at least not if you are trying to convey your point of view to me. I will not spend much time trying to figure out what you were too lazy to type.

You may think I'm stubborn, and I may soon find myself unable to communicate with future generations. I took the time to learn piglatin at one time, and I hardly ever get an opportunity to learn that skill. So now I stick with English.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/2/09 7:38pm
Msg #279263

Re: I don't tweet, I don't twitter. Another point of view.

I totally agree... spell it out.

Unless you're texting or using twitter... and then you're really limited on the characters you can use. It's not really laziness. In fact, I sometimes have a hard time using those shorter formats because I like to spell things out.

JMOOC

Reply by PAW on 3/3/09 10:13am
Msg #279306

Use standard writing skills

Whenever writing about any subject matter, it is always proper to spell out an abbrev. (abbreviation) or MLA (Multi-Letter Acronym) so the reader doesn't have to look something up and lose the train of thought.

Granted, there are some common abbreviations and acronyms that are universally known, or should be, (e.g., IRS) and some that are specific to our industry (e.g., DOT)

Reply by ADD/NYCT on 7/19/09 8:21pm
Msg #296525

Re: Use standard writing skills

OK - I DID google GBU because it was making me nuts,and found 'God Bless You'. First I thought you guys were really religious, then I thought - NO - this has to stand for something else. It's not on PAW's list - but I did find it in some acronym site. I THINK it means Good, Bad, Ugly. Am I right?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.