Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
BACKGROUND CHECKS - HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT PAYING FOR IT?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Bonnie T Gray on 3/3/09 8:44am
Msg #279288

I certainly don't mind anyone doing a background check on me before using my services but I don't agree with having to pay for it myself. I've gotten notices from several companies with the cost to me of $30 to $70. I can't see putting out this much money since I don't even know if I will get any work from those companies; or, maybe I'll get one or two jobs from them a year. I have E&O insurance and I am bonded and I have been doing closings for 11 years with never a problem.

Does anyone know if we can get the information on our backgrounds ourself so that we could pay for it one time and send it to the company when they request it?

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/3/09 9:02am
Msg #279291

Many have gotten their own & many co's accept it; some won't. Some co's will send you a copy & some other co's will accept that; some won't. Some of those who won't, will, if you persist. Some will ignore their own requirement (& even pay for it) if they are desperate enough. In other words: it's a crap shoot. BTW, there is nothing wrong with your logic on this topic.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/3/09 11:47am
Msg #279323

Try using the orange search button. There have been many discussions on BGC.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/3/09 12:26pm
Msg #279334

Re: Background checks

Personally, I think all notaries should be background checked by their state before getting their commission. After all, the whole point of being a notary requires somebody who needs to be of character to pass a background check. I would not be happy to find out that the guy who notarized anything I signed was a felon or had been convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude.

Those of us in CA have to pay for our BG checks as part of the commissioning process. I'm totally okay with that.

But I do get annoyed with this conversation... which I have at least once a month:

"Have you passed a background check?"

"Of course, I'm California notary. As part of my renewed commission in 2008 state law required that I be fingerprinted and that I pass both a state and FBI background check."

"Oh, well... I meant another one, a better one."

"You mean the NNA one?"

"Yes, I passed that one, too."

"Thanks, that's the one we want."

It's like if someone came to me and said, "I need this file printed in color, can you do it for me?" And you say, "Of course, I've got a nice color laser that will do it for you." And they say, "Oh, well... I was really hoping you could do it on an inkjet."

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.