Notary Rotary
Backdating
Notary Discussion History

Backdating
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 3/5/09 9:50am
Msg #279593

Backdating

For the first time in six years we were asked to backdate. We said no, not even no but hell no. But I bet someone said yes.

Reply by LindaD/NJ on 3/5/09 10:24am
Msg #279605

My favorite of the month was, "Well it's not back dating because .................. the loan funds on Tuesday, SOOOOOOOOOOOO if you don't sign it on Friday prior, it's OKAY to sign the docs on Sunday (with of course FRIDAYS date) BECAUSE the loan doesn't fund until Tuesday Sooooo how COULD that possibly be back dating. uhhuh

Reply by rengel/CA on 3/5/09 10:42am
Msg #279611

Then: "but, but, but.... I don't see what's wrong with it, the other notary dropped the ball... and, and, and.... my borrower shouldn't have to be punished for the other notary.......... everything was ready at the time - the other notary dropped the ball."

Me: "Sorry, no can do. I will not risk fine/jail for a borrower whom I have never even met!"

Reply by Alice/MD on 3/5/09 11:24am
Msg #279625

Are there still notaries out there backdating? If we can get the names of the TC asking for docs to be backdated we could report them.

Reply by sue_pa on 3/5/09 11:50am
Msg #279633

Dealing in the 'real' world, what result do you expect?

Reply by sue_pa on 3/5/09 11:48am
Msg #279631

"But Wachovia WANTS it dated for the 12th" when I'm meeting the borrower on the 24th !!! turns out the borrower was also "stood up" on the 23rd by a notary ... could it be that they were also asked to backdate? AND, the borrower all but slapped my hand when I put the 24th on my notary block ... she told me that Wachovia NEEDED it dated for the 12th.

But it was "weather related" so it's okay.

"It's only one document, not the entire package so that's not backdating".

They told another notary in my area that I was "sick" and couldn't complete the order. She called me to be sure I was okay !!!

I could go on and on and on. I cannot begin to count the number of times (including at least 5 so far in 2009) I have been asked to backdate. The "key" is to do such a great job for them consistently that they continue to use you even though you say no on those rare occasions. I have been asked by the largest lenders and the most well respected title companies and vendor management agencies, along with the tiniest little companies.

Reply by Dawn/PA on 3/6/09 6:44am
Msg #279782

So glad you are still well Sue! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.