Notary Rotary
Borrower's Copy
Notary Discussion History

Borrower's Copy
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Yahoo_Notary on 3/27/09 12:55pm
Msg #282356

Borrower's Copy

Just an idea... Does anyone agree that a Borrower Copy is a waste of paper/ink and something they should get from the title company? My personal choice is to put the docs on a memory stick or CD and give it to the Borrower )not that any title company is okay with this idea). I'm happy to download it onto their personal computer if they choose or just give them the CD. The docs belong to them anyway so it's not a confidential issue and it would save the Notary paper/ink and time. Just throwing that out there. Smile

Reply by MW/VA on 3/27/09 12:59pm
Msg #282357

It doesn't matter if you feel it's a waste of time, paper, ink. It is a requirement that the borrowers received a copy & part of your job to provide. We all look forward to the day when we will be able to give them a copy via CD. For now, we will need to continue to print 2 copies of all the docs.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/27/09 1:01pm
Msg #282359

Do you know how many times I have to pull from the copy package when a mistake has been made? I've been very glad for that copy package a lot of times.

Reply by Yahoo_Notary on 3/27/09 1:04pm
Msg #282362

I have not been in that situation, but thanks for your feedback. I have been in the situation where the borrower wants to go through the copies at the signing and then jumble the papers! That's fun! lol. Thx MW/VA for your feedback.

I'm looking forward to the days of less paper, have a great day Smile

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/27/09 1:10pm
Msg #282365

"borrower wants to go through the copies at the signing and then jumble the papers"

That's why they don't have access to their copies until the signing is done.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 3/27/09 1:12pm
Msg #282367

Forgot to also say: "Don't give the borrowers their copies until it is complete" That will save you from them going through them at the table. I don't pull them out, unless I need them, till the end.

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/27/09 1:01pm
Msg #282360

Every borrower does not have a computer and/or laptop. Weird, huh?

Reply by Linda Juenger on 3/27/09 1:10pm
Msg #282366

I can't count the times that I have pulled a doc from the borrower's copy because they dated wrong, signed wrong, scratched out before I could stop them etc etc etc. I do not look foward to the day that their are no paper copies.
It will happen to you eventually.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/27/09 1:12pm
Msg #282368

or they only half listen and instead of signing at the bottom of the RTC they "cancel' the loan....

Reply by Linda Juenger on 3/27/09 1:14pm
Msg #282370

Yes, Linda, that happens a lot also. Forgot that one. n/m

Reply by ChristineHI on 3/27/09 1:13pm
Msg #282369

Me too. Those borrower copies have helped me many times when a borrower signs incorrectly. I just grab their copy and replace it with the one they signed or whatever they did. :-)
I always get more nervous when I Don't have copies. If one gets messed up, well, we have to fix it and it doesn't look pretty sometimes. :-)
You never know what a borrower might do before you can stop them. hehe.

Reply by Jayhawk/KS on 7/15/10 11:30pm
Msg #345148

I had the borrower's dog pee on the signing copies one time. The doorbell rang, he got up to answer. We were signing on his coffee table (all that was available). The dog came to sit down beside me. When the borrower came back he shooed the dog off the couch, and as he took off over the coffee table he let loose with a stream of urine, all over the docs. Boy was I glad I had the borrower's copy safely tucked away in my briefcase. I wish my leg and arm had been so lucky. After a quick paper switch of the fouled docs I finished up, got out of there, and headed for the nearest convenience store to clean up. I couldn't wait to get home, to put my clothes in the washer, and me in the shower.

Reply by doglover/CA on 3/28/09 12:47am
Msg #282472

Yes, the borrower's copy package can sure come in handy. There have been a few instances of borrowers signing the RTC where it says "I wish to cancel" which made it necessary to swap pages from the borrowers package. Another time the borrower's copy pages were swapped was when a borrower thought the loan amount was incorrect on the Note and crossed it out and wrote what he thought was correct. At the conclusion of the signing he expressed remorse for what he had done.

One lender I have dealt with stated in their closing instructions that it is alright with them for you to provide the borrower with their copy of the loan package on CD if you get their consent and you also provide printed copies of certain key documents like the Note and the Settlement Statement.

Reply by Cari on 3/27/09 1:19pm
Msg #282373

instead of all of that...whaddabout emailing the docs 2 them n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/27/09 1:20pm
Msg #282374

Suppose they can't open them? n/m

Reply by Yahoo_Notary on 3/27/09 1:24pm
Msg #282377

Re: Suppose they can't open them?

OK, so how about a choice for them maybe we can make everyone happy Smile

Perhaps one day we can say I can give you paper copies, USB, CD or email, you choose!

Have a great day!

Reply by davidK/CA on 3/27/09 1:24pm
Msg #282378

The problem disappears with e-signings. NOT. n/m

Reply by Yahoo_Notary on 3/27/09 1:26pm
Msg #282379

Re: The problem disappears with e-signings. NOT.

OH for sure. not only is it e-sign with all different log ins, they also want you to "wet sign" most docs, and send back certain pages, then give them certain copies.

Through it all i still love what i do, just thought i'd ask a question to get other opinions.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/27/09 1:39pm
Msg #282380

the edoc fee covers copies for the borrower, would you reduce your edoc fee if you didn't have to print out borrowers copies??

Reply by Yahoo_Notary on 3/27/09 1:45pm
Msg #282381

Yes. I am extremely fair with my pricing, i don't nickel and dime them to death, but what's fair is fair. A fee for one type of closing is not a fair fee for another.

I think each signing is different. I have had very simple ones with around 80 pages that copies are fine. I have also had singing with around 180 pages where a copy seems like alot paper wise. The job that we do is worth money that's why it's a business. It's very detail oriented and in my state some things are punishable with jail time. I am dilligent in my process and am constantly looking for ways to make it better. I think a choice to the borrower is fair, i know for me personally i prefer electronic docs as copies and i have been through this process, but that's me! Smile

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 3/27/09 2:39pm
Msg #282398

Wait until you give the CD or download docs to the BO's

computer and then they sue you in small claims court for loading a virus on your computer and taking it down. Think it can't happen? I already know someone that has had that happen. A landscaper friend of mine used a program to take a digital photo of their property, then load several proposals for new landscaping onto a CD for the customer to view. He use to do that that all the time. Even though he thought he could prove and did prove it wasn't him, he still lost. Rather than file an appeal, he just paid the $600 and figured it was a lesson learned. He bought a laptop to take to the job, or prints the photos out on his color printer at home.

My bottom line, I would not touch anything else that belonged to anyone else in the course of my duties that I do not have to. That means eSignings, I use my own equipment. I never use their bathroom, never leave their sight and yes, I print the two sets of docs when it is an edoc signing. It may be just the experiece of old age setting in, but in business you need to make sure your own personal butt is covered at all times, or it could be a costly experience for you.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 3/27/09 2:40pm
Msg #282399

Oops, first line should be "from your computer" n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/27/09 3:26pm
Msg #282405

Re: Wait until you give the CD or download docs to the BO's

*I never use their bathroom, never leave their sight*

Very, very good advice. I agree. If I need to rinse my hands off for some reason I go for the kitchen sink...not the powder room.

Reply by mike/co on 3/27/09 2:49pm
Msg #282400

I was closing a VA loan the other day for a guy that had just returned from Iraq, we were about 25 pages deep during the signing when he noticed his middle name was mis-spelled. I told him to hold on while I got the TC on the phone and just as I was connected to my contact the guy grabbed the 25 pages he signed and tore them in half like the incredible hulk. TC said to cross out and initial as I was hoping so we resigned his borrower copy and I left him with the torn ones. he didnt seem to mind.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/27/09 3:25pm
Msg #282403

*Does anyone agree that a Borrower Copy is a waste of paper/ink and something they should get from the title company? *

I do not agree.

Too many people are not comfortable with electronic documents.
They lose them...swear they never received 'em...whine, bully, threaten to sue...so on and so forth.

They are less likely when they have a stack of paper shoved into their hands.

Don't let the bwrs get their hands into their own copies until you are done.

BTW - aren't you working as an extension of the title company...or as an extension of an extension?

Reply by Gary Boehm on 3/28/09 12:25pm
Msg #282525

Borrower's Copy

Hmmm... I use two printers. The "main"set goes to my dual tray which prints both sizes, and then as soon as that starts I send the borrower's copy to my good old 3015 in 8 1/2 x 11 format only to save on paper and costs. They both get done about the same time since the slower printer doesn't have to switch trays back and forth. Makes for FAST document printing! I always print and give the borrower the HUD, RTC and TIL on legal size anyway and haven't had one complain yet on everything else being on "small" paper.

Second part - I usually give the borrower "their copy" as soon as I sit down at the table just to get it out of the way. I tell them to put it aside unless we need a page from it as a backup copy if there is a mistake. It seems that some people on here are saying that they give them out last. As a test just yesterday I did a purchase signing with the RE Agents present and I did not present the borrowers copy set first. We got down to the last few pages when somebody said "Are we about done?". Right away their Agent said "You don't get a copy? Why didn't you get a copy?" and really TRIED to get the borrower upset! I had to stop what I was Notarizing, grab the copies, hand them to them and say "This is your copy of everything you signed today..." and then go back to what I was doing. I think I'll keep giving them out first. Opinions?

Reply by Michele WEINTRAUB-FLEITES on 3/28/09 7:44pm
Msg #282538

Gary,

Defintely give the copy to them first. I always state' here is your copy of everything you are about to sign, I will be going over all important items and this will allow to review anything anytime...'

In fact, when I make my initial telephone call to introduce, I ask if they want the packaqge forwarded in an email. That way they will ways have the docs with less storage woes for them and less paper/costs to me.

Reply by PAW on 3/28/09 9:20pm
Msg #282541

>>> Defintely give the copy to them first. <<<

What happens if the borrowers don't sign? Do you take their copy away from them? How would you get the emailed copy back?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/28/09 9:45pm
Msg #282544

I disagree Michelle

The less clutter on the table the better for all involved - give it to them prior to signing and they're too tempted to open it and review it, take it apart, flip through, etc., etc.. - I let them know I have a complete copy of the entire package for them (take out of briefcase and show them folder of docs) but it then gets set aside, near me, until signing is done - I then have access to it if I need to use one of the docs due to a signing error - in the event of a no-sign it easily gets put away and goes with me...MHO

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/28/09 9:46pm
Msg #282545

Re: I disagree Michelle...woops...forgot

As for e-mailing the docs to them - I don't even offer that option - it's a printed copy for them, period....

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 3/29/09 10:21pm
Msg #282622

Re: I disagree Michelle...woops...forgot

I agree with Linda. I explain and pull out their copies (in a folder with my card on it) and let them know they will be receiving their copies when we are finished. I then lay it on my briefcase within my reach in case a replacement is needed.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.