I just don't get it.
The site, that is.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/3/09 7:20am
Msg #279282

What are you doing?

www.twitter.com/jbaFL

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/3/09 6:09pm
Msg #279379

So, it's just for telling the online world what I am up to?

LOL
No chance. I can't have witnesses.Wink

Reply by Charles_Ca on 3/3/09 12:13pm
Msg #279331

Wish I could Misty but the whole social networking thing has

me confused. I've been on the internet since Hector was a pup. I remember BBS and usenet and still hang out on some. I watched the whole evolution of the World Wide Web but when it comes to the social networking sites I'm involved with some of them simply becuase friends and rlatives wanted me on there. To start with I'm kind of a private person and don't like to have all my laundry haning out for everyone to see. I've seen stuff on other people's sites that just make me cringe. I've been embarassed for some becvause it seems that they haven't the sense to be embarrased them selves. I've finally come to the conclusion that I just don't understand. I have finally completed the descent into old fart-dom and the younger generations are just leaving me behind. Anyway if anyone can actually explain social networking and how it can be beneficial either personally or businesswise I'd really appreciate it. Recently I took down a lot of the stuff I had because I saw no purpose in it and a lot of the interactions were just crap. Anyway until someone can convince me that there is a return on the time invested I'm not participating. Sorry but that is the best I've got.

Reply by PAW on 3/3/09 12:46pm
Msg #279337

From one Old Fart to another ...

I'm in full agreement and lack of understanding. I too was around when SysOps were revered and were few and far between. RIME, UseNet, PostNet, Windows 1 are all nice memories. (Okay, 3 out of 4 isn't too bad! LOL!) I simply cannot envision myself on FaceBook, Twitter, Flickr or any other of the myriad out there. I just don't have time, what with all the therapeutic hurdles one has to go through as the sun slowly sets on my backside.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 3/3/09 6:22pm
Msg #279380

Thanks Paul, nice to know I'm not alone....

As far as aging gracefully its not for me, I'm going kicking and screaming all the way.

Reply by sue_pa on 3/5/09 8:03am
Msg #279572

Re: Thanks Paul, nice to know I'm not alone....

I arrived several years ago when new neighbors moved in across the street with preteenage girls. Oh my, what screeching for apparently no reason. Now that they've discovered boys, cars and music ... oh my.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/3/09 1:13pm
Msg #279348

"Twitter:" The incessant conversations of birds, especially

parakeets.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/3/09 1:23pm
Msg #279350

Re: "Twitter:" The incessant conversations of birds, especially

Good one, Susan. It really is like the squawking of a flock of crows, isn't it. Social evolution--replaces real human connection--how sad.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/3/09 2:58pm
Msg #279361

Exacta mundo. (Although when a murder of crows begin their squawkfest in the treetop outside my window, I found that they all just shut up when I squeeze the stuffed eaglet and a true eaglet recording twitters away. The Nature Conservancy, I believe, has these gorgeous little plush birdlets and ducklets with actual recordings, and the crows just flat shut up and go somewhere else after I squeeze Elvis the Eaglet a few times.)

Totally off topic, I know, but just thought I'd share Smile and find a way to use 'murder of crows' in a sentence.

As to your point, I totally agree. Sad.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/3/09 3:20pm
Msg #279362

Hi - I'm in the mall, hunks everywhere, some have Sax card. Tweet-come here.

Like a Paris Hilton, Brittney Spears thing.

Mine is to publicize my group, but don'tknow how that is working, time will tell. Free, so will leave for group till our event in Nov.

Reply by Pat/IL on 3/3/09 7:27pm
Msg #279386

Is it really a murder of crows?

I never knew that one.

I have had a profile on face book for a while now. I still don't get it, and can't explain it. But I have been contacted by nearly a dozen old friends whom I haven't seen since I graduated college in '86. It's fun to see what they've been up to. They post pictures. I guess it's worth keeping the profile up as long as old friends keep dropping in.

I tried Twitter and left after about five minutes. That one totally escapes me.

I like Active Rain when I have the time to weed through the crap and find the good blogs. It can be worth while at times, not so much at others. That may not really qualify as a social networking site. I try to behave on Active Rain, because I am linked to my profile there.

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/3/09 10:49pm
Msg #279403

Yes, it really is a murder of crows...

The things I learn here~~ thanks, Susan. Oh, and I don't get Twitter, either.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/critters/crow.html

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/3/09 11:00pm
Msg #279404

Re: Is it really a murder of crows? True. A murder of crows

http://rinkworks.com/words/collective.shtml

A fun resource for collective nouns.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/3/09 7:31pm
Msg #279390

Read more about all the ways you can use Twitter at
http://tinyurl.com/3lbcaw

Hendry Lee Says:
February 24th, 2009 at 11:59 pm
Contests are all over the place within Twitter. Zappos has done it successfully, as well as solopreneurs.

Nothing allows you to interact with your target market more directly than Twitter. With the power of retweets, your contest can go viral.

Not to mention that it makes a good case study for many bloggers to write about, increasing your publicity even more.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/3/09 7:35pm
Msg #279392

Cfredit for above, which I forgot to add

Reprinted from "The Publicity Hound's Tips of the Week," an ezine
featuring tips, tricks and tools for generating free publicity.
Subscribe at http://www.publicityhound.com/ and receive by email
the handy cheat sheet "89 Reasons to Send a News Release."

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/4/09 7:18am
Msg #279419

Twitter: My daily inpirational diary, I guess.

I use twitter to keep a list of my inspirational ponderings (aka a verse a day from the Bible) and short thoughts on those. Use it like you want to. It keeps mouthy people down to a dull roar. (Me.) So as not to incite violence or innure to the benefit of my own advertising my twitter link is in my profile.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/4/09 7:21am
Msg #279420

Twitter: The city of Sarasota is using it

for notifications of whateva.
Interesting.

http://twitter.com/cityofsarasota

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.