Copies of Drivers Licences
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by TinaCA on 3/5/09 5:49pm
Msg #279695

Hello All:

Does anyone carry a digital camera or some other way of taking a copy of the borrowers ID?

Reply by Margaret_FL on 3/5/09 5:52pm
Msg #279696

I have a scanner that cost me $25 that is in my car. I also have a laser printer that makes copies. Best investment I ever made

Reply by snowflake/PA on 3/5/09 5:56pm
Msg #279699

Forgive my ignorance, and you are all certainly prepared, but don't you advise your borrowers ahead of time that they need to have copies of ID ready to send back with the closing docs? Just seems like you are doing their job for them.

Reply by TinaCA on 3/5/09 6:17pm
Msg #279703

Margaret:

What is the make and model of your scanner and your laser printer. Where did you get it.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/5/09 5:53pm
Msg #279697

Yes. I always carry a digital camera in my purse, and I also have a portable copier that I carry in my vehicle. The copier was purchased in response to a client who wanted their closers to make ID copies at the appt., and in my response to not wanting to travel back home to download the photos. I got it for $5 on ebay, it is a Canon portable copier.

Reply by KODI/CA on 3/5/09 5:53pm
Msg #279698

I use a kodak EasyShare C813. Fits in my pocket, has a flash if necessary, and does a great job. You will need to get a 4mb ultra II ScanDisk for it. It does not come with any.

Reply by TinaCA on 3/5/09 6:00pm
Msg #279700

Yes I always inform the borrowers that they need a copy of their drivers license, but sometimes they forget. Anyway Thanks for all the great info.

Reply by Leon_CO on 3/5/09 6:23pm
Msg #279705

Message Deleted

This message has been deleted by a forum moderator.

Reason: Generally Inappropriate

Reply by Linda Juenger on 3/5/09 6:29pm
Msg #279707

I carry a digital camera. Got tired of running around

looking for a copy machine at local gas stations, etc. I do remind borrowers also, but they do forget or left them at work or just didn't get out to get one, etc etc etc.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/5/09 6:32pm
Msg #279708

Re: no flash required n/m

Reply by C. Wayne Moore on 3/5/09 6:33pm
Msg #279709

Carry a Canon PC 160 for copies just in case they forget! n/m

Reply by Becca_FL on 3/5/09 6:53pm
Msg #279714

Message Deleted

Reason: Abusive

Reply by MichiganAl on 3/6/09 12:41am
Msg #279780

Message Deleted

Reason: Abusive

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/5/09 6:45pm
Msg #279712

<<<Does anyone carry a digital camera or some other way of taking a copy of the borrowers ID?>>>

No, I don't carry a digital camera. I inform the borrower during the initial confirmation call to have the necessary copies of whatever the TC requires. If I find out the borrower is homebound or hospitalized, I will bring a digital camera.

If they are able-bodied, I expect them to take care of business. So if the borrower forgets to have the copies, I give them the TC's fax number and advise them to get a copy and fax it as soon as possible. If they don't have a copier or fax - which are so cheap these days you can practically get them out of the gumball machine - too bad, they should have gotten the copy so I could return it with the docs.

Reply by davidK/CA on 3/5/09 6:53pm
Msg #279713

I agree with LKT/CA. It's the borrower's responsibility to get a copy of their ID to the title company.

If they can't follow the instructions to make a copy (that they were clearly given by me when I set up the appointment) then it's their obligation to fax the copy the next day. I refuse to add "Photographer" to my resume.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/5/09 8:59pm
Msg #279759

Me three

These days it's pretty common for people to have the ability to make copies of their license at home. If I happen to know in advance that it's needed I'll mention it on the phone, if not and they can't make a copy, I just tell them to fax one to the TC. In 6 years of business I can count on my fingers the number of calls I've gotten after the fact asking why it wasn't included in the closing package.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/5/09 7:49pm
Msg #279729

Even though I always let the borrowers know I will need a copy of their ID, it is amazing how often they misunderstand. I started carrying a small HP color scanner/copier about a year ago. It cost under $50. I don't know the model # off hand. I'm more comfortable doing that than taking a picture of the D/L.

Reply by Patricia/VT on 3/5/09 8:37pm
Msg #279750

I've always carried a digital camera. Vermont is very rural and not everyone here can easily make a copy. It only takes a minute to snap a photo that I print and enclose with the docs.

Reply by Steve Kunsaitis on 3/6/09 9:11am
Msg #279796

For my pictures I use my cellphone, then I email them to myself from my phone and send that to the Title Company. No complaints yet.
Printer=HP2015 (HIGHLY recommended for those spots where speed is key).
I also recommend Verizon Nationwide service for receiving files basically anywhere in the country except "dead zones".
Been doing this 3 years, new to the site and trying to stay in this game with you all.
-Steve

Reply by Charles_Ca on 3/6/09 12:00am
Msg #279779

Hey, lets see how many times we can misspell Licences n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/6/09 7:02am
Msg #279784

Re: Hey, lets see how many times we can misspell Licences

Or Rescission. Just remember there's part of sciss-ors in that word. Re-sciss-ion. Am I being Captainette Obvious?

Reply by Charles_Ca on 3/6/09 11:41am
Msg #279823

I've given up on rescission, seems some just can't get their

minds around the concept. Good moring!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/6/09 11:47pm
Msg #279931

If it were obvious, we wouldn't see it misspelled so often - even in lender packages! Great little technique for remembering, though! Let's see if we see an improvement going forward... Only problem is that the ones who are likely to ask about rescission issues are more than likely to be folks who didn't read this thread! (One can only hope. Wink)

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/6/09 8:38am
Msg #279793

Well ain't that the pot calling the kettle black. Only the first poster misspelled license. The rest of us just hit "reply". Check your own spelling before you point fingers at others. BTW, it's "cannot" instead of "can not" - correct your profile comments.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 3/6/09 11:39am
Msg #279822

I see California's No 1 Notary is a bit cranky this AM

I though it droll that post after post repeated the same mistake, looking at the posts all together it really is quite a visual treat.

Anyone who knows me already knows that I am the No 1 worst typist and after running my hand through a table saw last Fall my already poor typing has gotten even worse. Anyway as California's most astute Notary (in your mind alone) I bow (feigned with great exaggeration) to your superior intellect and spelling skills. It must be terrific to wake up in the morning just knowing that you are such a superior being, I'm surprised that Notary Rotary hasn't awarded you a Premium membership just to have your exalted presence here. TTFN

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/6/09 12:56pm
Msg #279832

Re: I see California's No 1 Notary is a bit cranky this AM

<<<Anyone who knows me already knows that I am the No 1 worst typist and after running my hand through a table saw last Fall my already poor typing has gotten even worse.>>>

I am sorry to hear that and hope you heal quickly.

<<<Anyway as California's most astute Notary (in your mind alone) I bow (feigned with great exaggeration) to your superior intellect and spelling skills. It must be terrific to wake up in the morning just knowing that you are such a superior being, I'm surprised that Notary Rotary hasn't awarded you a Premium membership just to have your exalted presence here. TTFN>>>

Completely uncalled for and yes I'm cranky this am 'cause my new hdtv dvr satellite dish doesn't work and I cannot watch reruns of the golden girls and now I'm forced to go and read a book. A premium membership "scholarship" would be nice in these economic times.

<<<I though it droll that post after post repeated the same mistake, looking at the posts all together it really is quite a visual treat.>>>

Well, we all have our pet peeves so I will no longer make an issue out of your pet peeve. Again, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 3/6/09 4:29pm
Msg #279862

As completely uncalled for as your's! n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/6/09 4:56pm
Msg #279866

Re: As completely uncalled for as your's!

I apologize, Charles.

Reply by thnotary_NY on 3/6/09 3:57pm
Msg #279861

Re: I see California's No 1 Notary is a bit cranky this AM

Wouldn't it be nice if there was spell check on this site.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 3/6/09 4:31pm
Msg #279863

Google toolbar has a great spell check system that works

well on most fill-in boxes. The only ones I have not been able to use it on are the fill-in boxes on PMs here on this site.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.