Notary Rotary
Deaf Signers - Want it to go as well as possible
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by M. Alexia Shaw on 3/4/09 12:42pm
Msg #279458

I do not sign and there will be someone to translate at the table, but would appreciate any advice from one who has handled a signing for a deaf couple before. I believe I know how to handle myself professionally, and also politely. Just looking for any insight or cautions.

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/4/09 12:46pm
Msg #279461

Just remember--they are deaf; not blind. They can read. Point & Sign goes well.

Reply by M. Alexia Shaw on 3/4/09 12:47pm
Msg #279462

Thanks Lee, knew that. Won't be rude, know better.

Reply by Becca_FL on 3/4/09 1:39pm
Msg #279478

And, Don't YELL! I find deaf people very easy to communicate with. Most read lips very well so just be sure not talk real fast. As Lee said, point & sign works great too.

Reply by MichiganAl on 3/4/09 2:14pm
Msg #279487

Don't yell!

I did a signing last month for a guy who just had throat surgery and couldn't speak. He walked in with a hand written sign around his neck that said "Throat surgery, can't speak. Ears are fine, don't yell!"

Reply by Leon_CO on 3/4/09 12:48pm
Msg #279463

>> I do not sign <<
------------------------------------------

Then do not sign.

If you are not able to communicate with the signer **directly**, then you should refer them to a notary who is able to communicate with them.

A notary should never rely on any kind of interpreter -- be it in a foreign language, sign language, etc.

Good luck.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/4/09 12:49pm
Msg #279465

*A notary should never rely on any kind of interpreter -- be it in a foreign language, sign language, etc.*

Is that your final answer?

Reply by SueW/Tn on 3/4/09 12:52pm
Msg #279466

Baloney Leon! My couple could read lips, on the essentials I spoke slowly and they would sign to their daughter and she would repeat back to me any questions. Not to mention the fact things are right there in black and white...when we went over the HUD and the NOTE I did point to what I was saying as the daughter signed. Language barrier is totally different than a hearing disadvantage.

Reply by sue_pa on 3/4/09 1:27pm
Msg #279474

WRONG response for PA

...A notary should never rely on any kind of interpreter -- be it in a foreign language, sign language, etc....

According to PAN, you put the interpreter under oath and proceed.

I had a deaf couple one time and it took forever ... they were 'chatty'.

There is an organization that is equivalent to signing services ... they pair up deaf individuals and a sign language interpreter. I forget what the fee was but I thought it was VERY cheap.

Reply by Becca_FL on 3/4/09 1:51pm
Msg #279481

Newbies BEWARE! Another bad answer from the self-

professed notary guru.

Leon, when will you learn that you can NOT speak for every notary in every state? Please quit polluting this forum with your "how tos", "helpful (obvious) tips" and "customer service tips" that are irritating at best and dead wrong at worst.

What's wrong with you, man? Are you so starved for attention that you feel the need post here, get your a$$ handed to you over and over again only to bask in the negative attention? Or is the emails and phone calls to Harry complaining of being picked on that motivate you? Either way, there's professional help out there.

Reply by MichiganAl on 3/4/09 1:56pm
Msg #279484

Of course you can do the signing.

There's a a nifty new high tech gadget that allows us to communicate **directly** with the deaf. It's called a notepad. Several state manuals specifically address using written notes with deaf signers, and your precious NNA quiz, the same quiz that you used to argue that you couldn't turn down an Alzheimer patient, addresses this very issue.

Wrong advice as usual.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 3/4/09 12:48pm
Msg #279464

I've done only one but the experience was great! Their daughter translated and I think the only problem I had initially was the worry that I wouldn't be able to be "understood". Their LO had taken alot of time being sure they understood terms and conditions, the daughter was terrific and it was a very relaxed closing. One "hint", you'll find yourself talking a bit louder than usual, check that...lol. Be relaxed, comfortable...they appreciate your situation and they'll be easy on you for that reason.

Reply by M. Alexia Shaw on 3/4/09 12:56pm
Msg #279467

Sue, Thank you for your input. I will watch my tone, and rely on their own intelligence to read the paperwork, and the interpretor of their choice to assist. If there were a language barrier, or if they truly could not understand the information in the documents, of course I would not handle the signing. I was not questioning their ability to read the documents and sign where directed, only asking what Sue was so kind to explain - what to watch out for on my part, so that I do not make them uncomfortable. Again, SueW, thanks.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 3/4/09 1:04pm
Msg #279469

You're very welcome. I was worried too but made a quick call to Ms. Sylvia who's very experienced with this. She put me at ease and let me know that I was causing distress to myself by having second thoughts. Thank you Sylvia again for your help when this came up for me. She was right on the button with her help and I'm just passing it on. I did take a note pad with me (per Sylvia's suggestion) just in case but I really didn't need it. The hearing impaired, as with the sight impaired, have dealt with issues over and over again. They know what they need in order to accomplish something. It's new to you but old hat for them so just follow their lead and you'll find things will be alot easier for you.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/4/09 2:28pm
Msg #279495

"If there were a language barrier, or if they truly could not understand the information in the documents, of course I would not handle the signing."

Fawlty Language - now THAT IS when you yell and speak very loudly! LOL

Reply by Linda Juenger on 3/4/09 1:01pm
Msg #279468

I also had the pleasure of closing 2 different deaf couples. Both closings went very well. It was an experience that was pleasant both times. They read my lips and we wrote a couple notes back and forth when needed. No other parties were there to help them, just them and me. I had no problems at all communicating with them and they understood everything they signed. Would take more deaf couples than some of the so called normal couples we see everyday. They are very nice.

Reply by M. Alexia Shaw on 3/4/09 1:12pm
Msg #279471

Re: Deaf Signers - Sue and Linda - Thank you both N/M n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/4/09 5:46pm
Msg #279524

CA Notaries cannot use a translator/interpretor

If we can effectively communicate with the signer, then it's okay. If we cannot, we must refer the customer to a Notary that speaks their language (pg. 18 of the handbook). As others have said, a deaf person can still see and read (and read lips) so there shouldn't be any problems communicating by writing notes back and forth.

I think a laptop would be faster and more efficient than pen and pad. You could go into a word doc or notepad and set the font to 28 or higher so it's easy to read the screen. Get a lazy susan thing and set the laptop on it so you can type and then spin it around so the signers can see. Then they type and spin it back to you to read. JAT (just a thought)

Reply by jba/fl on 3/4/09 7:37pm
Msg #279529

Personally LKT/CA- that's a great solution (Lazy Susan idea)

Very clever

Reply by sue_pa on 3/5/09 7:43am
Msg #279566

Re: CA Notaries cannot use a translator/interpretor

without extra compensation, that is more than I am willing to do for an appointment.

I unknowingly accepted my appointment with my deaf couple several years ago. I'm not sorry at all that I did it because it was something I never knew about (the phone calls through the computerized service, red lights flashing in the rooms signaling someone at the door, phone, etc). When a refinance was offered for them several years later, I declined as no additional compensation was offered. The lender must pay for all additional services required (such as the sign language interpreter) but refused to pay additional for what is at least twice the regular signing table time.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.