Notary Rotary
Dell 1710 "paper jam"
Notary Discussion History

Dell 1710 "paper jam"
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by LauriecPA on 3/30/09 1:04pm
Msg #282664

Dell 1710 "paper jam"

Does anyone else have this printer? I am having problems with the one I just bought. (I have 3 of them, it seems like 2 just went pfffft at once!)

The paper won't feed into the printer, and the paper jam message comes on immediately.

It never actually gets far enough to "jam".

Kicking it hasn't helped...yet, maybe I didn't kick it hard enough! Smile

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/30/09 1:27pm
Msg #282669

Laurie I know nothing about this particular printer, but am wondering if there is something
stuck in a part of this printer, that you can't see.
If it were me, I would remove the paper trays, and the toner, and the drum, just to see what might be interfering with the function of the printers.
I had a similar issue with one of my Brother printers.
My Brothers have a "back" door, where I have found the occasional torn tiny piece of paper that was holding up the show.

Reply by KRH/AZ on 3/30/09 3:34pm
Msg #282701

Laurie I used to have that printer and this worked for me...

Don't laugh! I know this sounds silly. I took the paper drawer out, tilted the printer back to see and removed those little rubber wheels that grab the paper. I turned them inside out and just put them right back on. For some reason, that did the trick and it started to feed and grab the paper normally. I had "had it" and I was ready to throw the printer away, so it didn't matter to me that I wasn't sure what I was doing! Good luck.

Reply by LORNA DENT on 3/30/09 8:17pm
Msg #282755

Re: Laurie I used to have that printer and this worked for me...

I dont know how long you have had the printer but I also have have this printer, have had it for almost 2 years. About 8 months ago it started jamming papers like crazy, i called dell, they told me about those little rollers...i turned them, replaced them and things were fine for a bit....they also told me that I would need to order new ones soon so I did. you may need to contact dell to get the information. These are great printers but that little roller can cause some problems when it needs to be replaced. I always have a spare laser printer handy just in case something happens with my main printer, in fact my old spare one finally gave out recently so I went to best buy and got an inexpensive brother laser that cost just a little over $100.00, it works great and when I am in a hurry I can use both printers to get the printing done faster.

Reply by LauriecPA on 3/30/09 8:31pm
Msg #282760

Re: Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try the advice

with the rollers tomorrow.

I just bought this one last month, so it should still have some life left in it! (I bought it through Craig's list, though, but it was NIB.)

I didn't want to call Dell, b/c I'm usually on hold so long. The trouble shooter guide only has info in it that I've already tried.

I appreciate everyone sharing their experience!

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 3/30/09 8:42pm
Msg #282761

I didnt know Dell made laserjet printers! n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/30/09 9:19pm
Msg #282769

Yeah, they do, Sheila...we had one at the office

where I worked in CT (the receptionist had it) - she had more problems with it than you could shake a stick at - paper jams, print issues..etc., etc.. now I'm not sure if it was the printer or the person at the keyboard but she hated the printer..

I got one free from Dell when we bought our new desktops...it's still in the box for the day I go totally mobile!!...Smile

Reply by LauriecPA on 3/30/09 10:21pm
Msg #282778

Re: I couldn't wait 'til morning to try the roller trick,

sadly it didn't work. Frown

It just makes a loud clicking noise and the paper gets stuck immediately.

I'll try taking one of my old ones apart tomorrow, and see if the rollers from that one make a difference. (The paper feeds on the old one, it just prints the same message on every page! lol)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.