Notary Rotary
Email/download help...
Notary Discussion History

Email/download help...
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Linda_H/FL on 3/16/09 2:26pm
Msg #280892

Email/download help...

I'm having a problem lately opening some e-mail attachments - hoping someone here can help me...

I have Windows XP, Yahoo e-mail - here's what happens - click on attachment, click on "Open" in dialogue box and pfffttt...nothing happens...if I click to save, here's the error I get from the open file...

"An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtine Environment:

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION ...blah blah blah

I have the most current version of Java, also have Microsoft works, Wordperfect and OpenOffice 3.0...

Any suggestions for a non-techie?? TIA

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/16/09 2:32pm
Msg #280893

Re: Email/download help... - forgot to add

Also sometimes get a window up saying Internet Explorer cannot open the program and is terminating the application....aaarrrggghhhh

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 3/16/09 2:51pm
Msg #280894

Re: Email/download help... - forgot to add

first, do a hard shutdown and restart (power it down completely then turn it back on, don't just do a restart)

See if that helps. Sounds like you could have some spyware clogging up your system, so download and run Spybot (its free). Make sure you have accepted all your Windows updates. Restart after each scan or update.

Also, I use Firefox except for a very few sites and applications that absolutely require IE.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/16/09 5:20pm
Msg #280904

My husband said that is likely an error within OpenOffice dealing with memory and java. Chance are that the file you're trying to open is either too large, or associated wrong.

What is the format of the attachment you're trying to open? PDF? DOC? Something else?

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 3/16/09 5:33pm
Msg #280906

Re: Email/download help...Marian

The error message indicate a system problem, not a file association problem. She was trying to download and save and the computer would not let her do that. You have to download before you can open it and unless I misunderstood, the files would not download (even though she did use the term "open", it never got to that point). Linda needs to troubleshoot the basics before file associations are addressed.

Linda, correct me if I misunderstood the problem.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/16/09 7:38pm
Msg #280910

Re: Email/download help...Marian

No..you're right - and I did the hard shutdowns....btw they were pdf docs and I've never had a problem before...

Just got in and am having an issue with another email attachment....

Shoot me now,....please?

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 3/16/09 9:02pm
Msg #280915

OK, then scan you computer for spyware and viruses

make sure you have the latest updates. You have some VOO-DOO somewhere in the system. I will get out my doll and stick a few pins in it .....

Here is the link to spybot in case you don't have it. When my family or friends have issues similar to yours, this usually cleans it up ...

http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html?cdlPid=11000454

Have fun

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/16/09 9:21pm
Msg #280917

Thanks Glenn...

I did just scan with McAfee over the weekend - will do it again.

I just had one - the e-mail has 3 attachments, all pdf - I opened 2 successfuly, the 3rd one wouldn't open...I e-mailed him I couldn't open it, he re-sent it and it opened..I now responded and asked what he did or changed to allow me to open it...

This is just weird.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/16/09 9:22pm
Msg #280918

Re: Thanks Glenn...okay...'nother question

My computer guy (a/k/a my husband) just told me No Adware is the same as Spybot..and I've run that recently....

Reply by Gary Boehm on 3/16/09 10:52pm
Msg #280925

okay...'nother question

Ok Spybot and AdAware are not the SAME program but they do similar things. I run both of them sometimes and they find and fix different things. But since I installed AVG Free they don't find anything new or very rarely.

BUT what I and my computer guru (this is the guy that dissassembles new operating systems before they are even RELEASED yet) recommends is CCLEANER. It gets rid of so much junk AND NOW it also fixes system registry problems (if you don't know, don't ask, you got 'em anyway) that has saved my (butt) SO MANY TIMES with file problems and system slowing down/locking up/just plain ignoring me that you GOTTA get it.

AVG FREE and CCLEANER are both available FREE from FILEHIPPO.COM and/or DOWNLOAD.COM and yes they are both FREE and you get much more than you pay for!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/16/09 11:19pm
Msg #280929

Linda, your computer guy is not entirely right. Those two programs are NOT the same. They do similar things, but they are totally different. Think of it like a difference between a cement truck and moving truck. Both trucks... totally different functions in that they check for different types of bad guys.

My husband is over my shoulder here and he said you check your JRE... or in other words, follow this link here and let it test the version of Java you're using:

http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

He said that if the Java Runtime Environment recently updated, that might be the cause of the trouble, too. He seems pretty convinced that it's an issue with Java and OpenOffice, especially if it is happening randomly.

You might also check to see if you have the most recent version of OpenOffice.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/17/09 8:00am
Msg #280938

Re: Marian - about Java and OpenOffice

Thanks for the link - I just updated Java yesterday and OpenOffice is a new download and install I did when I read the error report. Still no dice...

The funny thing is he re-sent the same attachment and it opened fine..I asked what he changed and he said "nothing, I just re-sent it"....oy...

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 3/17/09 11:12am
Msg #280954

Linda, you don't need Java to download and open PDF files

Do you have any other pdf files you can try to download and view? Don't discount the fact that the screw up could be on the other end. Go to the IRS site and download a form or a booklet. If it works, the problem is not yours. Just the fact that he sent it again and it worked tells me that the issue is probably not yours.

You can download, open and print pdf files without using Java. And OpenOffice is just an open source program by Sun Microsystems designed to replace Microsoft office. Nothing to do with downloading, opening and printing pdf files other than the fact that some sites require your Java to be turned on for their site to work and some web-based email sites require Java to be turned on. I surf with Firefox using the NoScript add-on to prevent Java from working unless it is absolutely necessary. I have never needed Java to download and open files through my email program (Thunderbird).

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/17/09 11:50am
Msg #280967

Glenn, I so appreciate your time...

I normally don't have problems with pdf files...just recently and only random attachments...not from the same people either...two different companies...the reason I did the java and openoffice downloads was because of the error report I got about a java runtime error...

When I'm getting ready for a signing is NOT the time to discover I'm having download problems!!...Smile

Again, thank you so much for your help..I've scanned and rescanned and don't have any issues there (you can put the voodoo doll away..<G>Wink...

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 3/17/09 1:27am
Msg #280931

I have found the two tend to conflict and I chose to keep Spybot as I think it works better.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/17/09 2:55am
Msg #280932

Yes, 'nother question - while we're on the subject... When I installed the anti-virus program I have (ESET NOD32), which seems to have served me very well, I remember reading something (or being told) about not installing other similar programs, that they might conflict with each other. I think it's supposed to have anti-spyware feature, as well. [I'm on Vista Home.] I had both Spybot and AdAware on my old pc, but haven't downloaded either on this one because of that. Anyone know if that should be an issue or am I over-analyzing? Appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 3/17/09 10:59am
Msg #280951

That's right

NOD 32 is very good, AVIRA is very good, but mix like oil and water. Same with some of the anti-spyware programs. And mixed together can cause issues that would seem unrelated to spyware and virus, such as printing and download issues. Spybot and AdAware do not mix any longer, but with those, you get an error code telling you exactly what the problem is. Most don't. Pick what you like, and use one. More is not better.

Personally I use AVIRA, Spybot and Spywareblaster (a sister app to Spybot). All free. That being said, I am a low risk user, also. I don't usually use Windows to surf to places like Facebook, or read my daily dose of overseas news. I have both my laptop and desktop set up as dual-boot machines and use Linux to surf the internet, as I am right now.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/17/09 2:50pm
Msg #281002

Re: That's right

Thanks, Glenn. I guess I'm wondering if I could (or should) add Spybot (and/or Spywareblaster) to the NOD 32, which I think I'll stick with. It's found and neutralized so many things for me (most recently one of those Trojan worms, I think).

It's so great to have tech-savvy folks like you, PAW, Marian, etc. here so willing to offer your expertise! It is very much appreciated!!! Smile

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 3/18/09 4:08am
Msg #281078

Janet - I'm using those 3 ...

ESET, Spybot & AdAware all in use and not having any conflicts, BUT with X/P Pro. These 3 were/are the choices of my techie, what he uses for all his customers.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 3/17/09 9:34pm
Msg #281051

"I have Windows XP, Yahoo e-mail - here's what happens - click on attachment, click on "Open" in dialogue box and pfffttt...nothing happens...if I click to save, here's the error I get from the open file...

"An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtine Environment:

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION ...blah blah blah"

You're probably getting that error because Open Office (which is written in Java) is still trying to load and open the file, and then you think that nothing is happening so you try to save it instead. EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION means that one process is trying to access a file that another already has - think of it as two kids fighting over a toy that both of them want, and then one of them starts crying to mommy and then neither of them gets the toy...

Your best bet is to not open the files directly from the email, but to save them to disk instead and THEN open them. It may take a nanosecond or two longer to do it that way, but there's less stress involved. Your other option is to always have Open Office up and running BEFORE you attempt to open the file directly from the email; in my previous life in IT, we would call that a "bigger hammer" solution. Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.