Notary Rotary
FASS-February 2009 Docs
Notary Discussion History

FASS-February 2009 Docs
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Dianna Hanson on 3/5/09 10:03am
Msg #279600

FASS-February 2009 Docs

I have been in a business relationship with this company since around 2001 and have always respected them because the schedulers and support have been there when I needed them, they pay as the transactions are closed out and will add print, fax and travel fees as required. The market has been very busy the last 8 weeks due to interest rates changing and caused a usually slow period of the
year to be very busy. It did not just effect this company. Did anyone else have appointments with date and time changes due to documents not being ready? Did your borrowers call you asking you why you did not have the docs? Were you waiting 12, 24 and 48 hours on "stand by to print" and not paid for it and turning down other customers assignments to you? I answered my phone in a closing and late and got wrote up for the first time. I hit the panic button because it is the first time I've had a QC. I did everything right, but contact FASS and tried to talk it out because their reps called me and the situation got out of hand when it should not. Because I got told I had too much business I told them to take me off their list. I am their vendor not employee and I've never been treated with disrepect before. I had some very valid points to make and lost it because I cut off short. I didn't disagree with their borrowers concerns, but I do not believe FASS needs to know how ugly the borrower was and I had written up a reply yet and tried to discuss how I could write up my reply being positive and all I got was FASS wants to know "everything that happened." Its not how I was trained in the legal field. I was shown how to write up situations in a positive way without being a blame game or pointing fingers and my understanding is they allow 14 days for a reply and I was getting pressure from the QC to answer it "Right Now"---I haven't had the time to write it out and get my head together because I have been busy with a lot of signing. Yesterday was only day 6 --- I was going to reply to it this weekend, but because I ended the relationship I am locked out now. Problem is I felt like they are telling me to only work for them and be their exclusive employee. I am Independent Contractor and I do well because I care and try very hard to be the best in my area. I am really frustrated, because they were great to me until yesterday. I don't overbook, but when my customers don't have docs in a timely matter, it really messes me up and I am fair and accommodate all of customers and their clients, not just FASS only. Because there is hardly anyone in this area that is full-time started training a person for the Dallas Co. area and referred them to FASS and even gave FASS the new recruit's contact information---That's how much I wanted to help FASS out. I'm just curious if anyone else has been told by them to only be great with just them, their clients only and the client's borrowers only and not to take care of your other customers with the same great service?

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/5/09 10:28am
Msg #279606

Don't think anyone's been 'told' not to work with anyone else, but the points you made in this post are a very good reason that few experienced notaries work with FASS (except, perhaps on an infrequent 'this one works for me' basis). They want too much for what they are willing to pay. Be happy & move on to better things.

Reply by Dianna Hanson on 3/5/09 12:58pm
Msg #279637

I was not aware that FASS is like Nations Direct. I am aware that I am one of a very few persons in this area that is certified and background screened working this business as my sole source of income. I believe the other reason I have a high number of cold calls to me is my reputation of being nice (sometimes too nice), having knowledge of the documents to say this is what you are signing and the purpose and/or being able to show the borrower where the answers are to the terms, conditions and rates and usually very accurate in getting the signing done the first time. I am Mr. Farris and his partner, Mr. Garrate, the City and Assist. City Attorneys I worked for as their paralegal after graduation are happy they gave me the Real Estate training. They taught me how to prepare their transactions Notes and different types of Deeds as well as had me running the "closing table" at their office. I really love what I do and like the freedom of being self-employed.

Reply by Les_CO on 3/5/09 2:55pm
Msg #279665

Actually FASS and Nations Direct are NOT alike except in the fees they pay ‘their’ notaries. FASS is a de facto subsidiary of First American. Nations Direct is an independent ‘low paying’ Signing Service.
In your post you sound like an intelligent and capable person with at least some background/training in the real estate/legal field, and say that you have actually been doing signings/closings for some time? How can it be that you have never researched this business…or the many sites…boards…chat rooms pertinent to, until now? You say you are in an area that is covered by few Notary Signing Agents (for the want of a better title) yet you have been unknowingly working for one of the most renown, and maybe the first bottom feeder in this business, taking abuse along with stupid demands, and low pay for the absolutely necessary service you perform?
Well…….now that you are here…you know better. This site is well worth the cost of Premier Membership. Learn, Join, and prosper.
There are several other sites similar to this that are worth joining. If you want my recommendations send me a private message.

Reply by Les_CO on 3/5/09 10:47am
Msg #279615

May I say I’m impressed that you speak Tagalog, I’d think not many in Texas do.
I would say your first mistake was to work for FASS. They are right down there with Nations Direct, SOX and a number of others. You can do better. As to helping them out, anything you do for them just degrades this business for others. Soon there will be companies asking for $10 signings. This business now has become an occupation for part timers, due to the likes of FASS, the practices od the NNA, and the slow down in business in general.
Just my opinion.

Reply by JandB on 3/5/09 2:33pm
Msg #279655

We also parted ways with FASS a few days ago and that's OK with me. I guess they make notes about everything you say. When we asked for a reprint fee they noted my husbands remark that one print fee does not cover multi prints if the error is theirs. They also noted our repeated comments about our base fee. They did pay it several times but now they are telling me there are plenty of notaries in our area willing to go for $50. They are welcome to it. We are moving on to work with companies that understand we all have to make a profit or find other work.

Reply by TonyV on 3/5/09 3:42pm
Msg #279676

Always meets my $XXX.00 fee Re: FASS-February 2009 Docs

I do a few closings per week for FASS and they have always met my $XXX.00 e-doc fee. As any and all transactions, I always state my fees upfront and they take it or leave it.

From my experience with FASS and aside from the strict qualty control they have, they are a good company and pay within a business week!

Reply by ChristineHI on 3/5/09 6:37pm
Msg #279710

Wow, you just made me feel much better today! About 3 weeks ago I had a flurry of signings for them. I had 4 in about a week and a half.
Anyway, every single set of docs had major errors on them, that would have delayed funding. Just so you know, I have processed loans for 16 years too so I tend to notice things like errors on docs. In each case I told them about the errors and they corrected them. Besides the major errors on the docs, which were things like major typos, no signature line for borrower on the mortgage/deed, etc. I felt I was being very helpful in pointing out these things so their transactions would close smoothly.
Then on one closing I got a message saying that I was written up for not calling a borrower within 24 hours. Well, I had, of course, called within minutes and confirmed shortly thereafter. I had numerous emails between me and them as well confirming the appointment. I called them and told them they had an error and I as concerned that it be corrected or else they might think I made an error. I went on the site as they instructed me to do to challenge. They came back and said it was correct and I could not challenge it further!
So I contacted them again and forwarded the emails with the communication between them and myself and they instructed me not to "spam" them as they put it. They didn't seem to want to clear this up for me.
I also kept getting that call asking if the appointment was complete, but in every case she called me several hours before the signing time had even occurred. I kept telling them to look at their clocks before calling me.
Anyway, I also was getting frustrated with what I call the "sit and wait attitude". They said to wait until 2 hours before the signing to check on status of docs. Since every set of docs had been wrong I had checked on the docs a bit earlier than that since that is really late to me to check on them. They said they do not check on the docs and if they don't arrive then we just cancel the appointment. They don't want to bother the lender. They know that that mean docs might be delayed, but that is what we need to do.
Then to top this off, this was only in a 2 week period of time mind you, I get an email saying I am being dropped from their database. There was not reason, just a generic email. I have never had anything like that happen in 18 years of doing this. I think this is because of the write up that was in error. It wasn't. A VP there said she removed me herself. She said that they do not have time to take my calls for follow up and that we are not a good match. I was confused still as this was in another email so I called her boss to get clarification and many days later I finally spoke to her.
She said they are very busy and they cannot bother lenders etc and again we were not a good match. I said it would be easier for me not to contact them at all and just cancel appointments etc but I am a proactive notary. After a long conversation she still seemed to think that not working with me was the best idea and I told her I still did not understand why. It has driven me crazy because I have never had someone not want to work with me, especially for doing a good job. It was very confusing and hearing your comment helps me to see that there are others out there. I am in a region where there are only a handful of notaries so it is sad to me that she has limited herself.
Anyway, the most confusing experience I have had so far in 18 years. Thanks for the post because now I can let it go. I thought I was missing out on getting work with a good company but now that is probably a blessing. I also worked for less money so I could get their business! I rarely do that. Serves me right for doing that. :-)
Fortunately, I have never experienced this before and hope not to ever again!

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/5/09 8:53pm
Msg #279755

Why on earth would you people go through this much trouble?

Even if I didn't already know what a crappy company FASS is to work for, it would take about 2 signings worth of dealing with this ridiculous stuff before I fired them as a company I was willing to do work for. And if they happened to fire me first, I CERTAINLY wouldn't waste any additional time calling and emailing to find out why, I'd just be grateful to be rid of these pains in the butt.

Unless you're brand new to the industry, you should know the signs of a good company by now. I work for plenty of good companies, and not a single one gives me demerits for mistakes, they treat me like a professional adult. Take a little pride in what you do and don't let these companies treat you like their b!tch.

Reply by Dianna Hanson on 3/6/09 12:55am
Msg #279781

I received 3 calls from the QC and decided to talk with her boss---it was a lady VP, too. It just seemed to me the two gals were working together twisting words, being a double edge sword --- for you then against you and I really lost it when she told me it appeared to her I had too much business and should cut back. She asked me about the one signing still set up for this Sat. and I told her I always fulfilled my commitments and she stated she didn't trust me or want me and was removing it from my schedule. That is when I told her to remove me. I thought I was going to be able to have a reasonable discussion, but that was not the case. I've let it effect my performance and started making errors as the two persons would not reschedule a time to talk with me when I was not driving to a signing or getting ready to leave for one. I did get the VP's boss's name and this weekend I will write him just to clear the issue with the help of one of my legal friends. I do not like being treated as a child who is not responsible. I will be 53 next week and I have always been successful and happy in whatever I put my best foot and efforts into! Being full time at this has taken a lot of patience and learning. It is not just book knowledge, experience, but also who you know. I believe QC has a place but it should not be harassment. It should be Issue, Rule, Facts and Conclusion and an agreement on what should or should not be done to prevent the issue in question in the future and then move on and be able to learn from it. The other thing that upset me is when I asked to be able to talk with them later they did not care even tho it was for one of their company's assignment. I was late again and now I am thinking it was like a setup because I have been requesting a higher fee to travel 50 to 70 miles away to signings for the last 4 or 5 jobs as there is no one up there in that area. It was like they do not care it will cost them more money to find a title company to do it. And some of those little north western towns do not have a title company close by. That will cause the borrowers for their clients to have to travel. Some of their clients do use the other customers I have and when I started to "cool off and think it out" today I startrf to believe it is alright they just cut off their noses yesterday. I had less stress today and actually did some work for a company I like better as they don't play mind games and pay me more. I was turning down jobs as I was already booked for the time and dates they needed. So as my kind southern friend in AL, Eric (my mentor!) stated, I can do less for more $. I miss working with him as a team---how he ever found me and decided to help me only he knows! I have been a basic member on this site for a couple of years and this morning I had a little time to check out its features. I do not know it all, but I am still trainable and willing and wanting to know more.

Reply by sue_pa on 3/6/09 7:01am
Msg #279783

I don't understand most of what this says but

...Did your borrowers call you asking you why you did not have the docs? Were you waiting 12, 24 and 48 hours on "stand by to print" and not paid for it and turning down other customers assignments to you?...

the answer is NO. How can you be on 'standby for 12, let alone 48 hours? Why are you discussing loan doc delivery with borrowers? That's between them and their lender. Makes no sense at all.

The VERY few times you should have issues with either the borrower or the LO/lender rep/whoever, you get on the phone IMMEDIATELY to your client and 'tattle' on yourself.

Reply by Dianna Hanson on 3/10/09 3:26pm
Msg #280190

Re: I don't understand most of what this says but

Yes, I was waiting for documents and borrowers were not being called by L.O. The L.O. and "support team" made it my task to inform them the documents were late and to please be flexible.

I was calling in to my "customer" 2 hours before appointments to try to get documents. I told by one representative "well, you this happens at end of month."

Yes, I have experienced docs being late from 30 minutes to 2 hours in the past, but the last week of this Feb. was a first for 2 to 4 days waits.

I know for a fact this company had its processors come in to work up loan doc pkgs and scan docs to upload on a Sunday. I think because one of their sites was closed out this summer the work went to another site and they are short handed, which caused the delays.

Because I agreed to be "flexible" I turned down some job offers from my other customers so I could print and get the signings done for this company. I got told "you are too busy and need to cut back the number of signings you do for other companies. You must be over booking." Excuse me, but this is not a "hobby job to get out the house." It is my business! This company had 6 signings that ran behind from a Fri./Sat. I receive two of the packages late Sunday evening and the rest around my schedule on Monday that happened to be just this customers clients. I can do 4 to 8 closings in a day. I space them anywhere from 2 to 4 hours apart allowing for printing and traveling time. I go North, East, West and South.

Reply by sue_pa on 3/10/09 6:00pm
Msg #280201

If the LO and whatever the "support team" is MADE it your task to inform borrowers about something you know nothing about (doc delivery) you should look into the mirror rather than complain.

If you waited 2-4 days for docs and turned away other work in the meantime, you should REALLY gaze into that mirror and ask some questions of the person looking back.

As a subcontractor how do you even get into a discussion with a client over "cut back the number of signings you do for other companies"?

As I said, I didn't understand most of what you were saying but I comprehend these instances but fail to understand why you allowed yourself to be used like this.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/10/09 9:15pm
Msg #280231

One thing has become clear to me from reading this thread (as if I didn't have a pretty good idea before). It's that this company has decided that, for the most part, the kind of notaries they want to hire are those who are the "hobbyists" just doing a few assignments a week, thrilled to get any work at any price. They probably need to be babysat - or are at least willing to put up with it. It's ridiculous for a company hiring independent contractors to tell them that they have too much work because they won't sit around at their beck and call, waiting around for docs to come in, turning down other work. (Sorry, but that sounds like someone on a power trip, to me). Apparently it's working for them, allowing them to get away with paying very low fees. They seem to be going for quantity at low cost rather than quality, and can't be bothered with little details. But if that's their business plan, so be it.

The only times I've worked for FASS have been last minute calls when they needed a Spanish speaking notary and I guess couldn't find anyone else. They paid whatever fee I quoted each of those few times. Ironically, I was told that even though they want replies via their website, I wouldn't be given access until I had done xx assignments for them. (If I ever registered with them - I don't recall doing so - it was when I was brand new, years ago.)

I guess I finally met their minimum after a couple of years and was given a user name and password. One day,after another assignment, I decided to check my profile and to my surprise, I found that I had been written up the previous year for an "infraction" that was for something that was out of my control and unavoidable by me. I was never notified and didn't have access to their website when it happened, yet it said that there was a deadline for replies to dispute write-ups. Talk about a Catch-22!!! I just let it go.

That to me feels like a juvenile approach to doing business and not anything I will pursue or feel bad about missing. If they want to call me again to get them out of a bind, if I'm available I'll be happy to do it, as long as they continue to meet my full tc fee. Otherwise, I will happily conduct my business without them and not lose any sleep over it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.