Notary Rotary
Forms of ID if passport is not stamped
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Letty Marquez on 3/13/09 3:58pm
Msg #280628

I checked all the postings before deciding to post again in regards of forms of Id's.

Scenario

One of my lenders wanted to know if there is any place where her client can get an ID since she only has the Matricula Consular and a passport without a U.S stamp.

I heard AAA issue international driver licenses (to people who has a international DLs). So, I called them and yes, they do issue id's to people who already possess an international DL ($15 dlls and all they need is DL and 2 passport pics), nice but they do not issue any other type of ID for people with Matricula or unstamped passport.

This person needs to QC property to her husband and they just want to know if anyone of you know or had heard of any place were they will issue an identification that we as notaries can use for identification purposes.

Please let me know.

thanks

Reply by Letty Marquez on 3/13/09 4:10pm
Msg #280629

I got it!

I got the answer from my notary class instructor.

If the person does not posses a valid ID for identification purposes then she/he can use 2 credible witness whose under oath will testify they know her/him.

(someone told me I don't stop till I find my answers Wink

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/13/09 5:08pm
Msg #280632

Just make sure....

Since this is a DEED, get her thumbprint. Also, make sure that the two credible witnesses DO have proper ID and DO NOT have any interest in the transaction... and are willing to not only swear under oath that they know the signer, but also that they know that the signer does not have proper ID nor does she have any reasonable means of obtaining one and they do not have any interest in the transaction at all.

If they are not willing to do that, you can't use them.

Good on you for not accepting the MC card. That thing is bad news.

Shoot, most banks and agencies in Mexico won't even accept them as valid IDs.

Reply by Leonard Texas Mobile Notary Services on 3/14/09 7:39am
Msg #280682

Her Passport is an ID even if it does not have a US entry stamp, it just means she entered "another way". I'm in Brownsville, TX and just down Palm Blvd. by my office is Mexico, I often have clients with only their passports, The Mexican Consulate office, one street over, can attest to any passport carrier with a letter from their office if needed. The Matricula Consular Card was designed to help with ID for banks and passport support. I've not seen a conterfit but hear stories that there are some but there are fake US drivers licenses and passports too. Take the thumb print and go on with life.

Reply by PAW on 3/14/09 8:03am
Msg #280685

Maybe in Texas ...

>>> Her Passport is an ID even if it does not have a US entry stamp ... <<<

Maybe an unstamped foreign passport is acceptable in Texas, but certainly is not in Florida. FSA 117.05 states, in part, concerning valid documents that can be relied upon to identify the signer:

"A passport issued by a foreign government if the document is stamped by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service;"

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/14/09 8:43am
Msg #280687

CA is pretty specific about that too...

Page 8 of the Handbook, in part...

"A. Paper Identification Documents – Identity of the signer can be established by the notary
public’s reasonable reliance on the presentation of any one of the following documents, if the
identification document is current or has been issued within five years (Civil Code section
1185(b)(3) & (4)):....

3. Other California-approved identification card, consisting of any one of the following,
provided that it also contains a photograph, description of the person, signature of the person, and an identifying number:
(a) A passport issued by a foreign government, provided that it has been stamped by the U.S.
Immigration and Naturalization Service or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;"

Reply by A S Johnson on 3/14/09 10:04am
Msg #280699

Re: Maybe in Texas ...

PAW, as usual you make a good point.
I think "Leonard Texas" need to call the TX SOS Notary div office Mon.
I realize where he is, but I don't think the rules are different for Notaries on the border than for the rest of the state.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/14/09 11:39am
Msg #280714

That's not how it works in CA...

As others pointed out, CA requires a stamped passport.

And MC cards are garbage... anyone accepting them as valid ID, including banks... are just deluding themselves. You don't see any "forged" MC cards because they're so darn easy to get, there's no need to forge them.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/14/09 8:24pm
Msg #280781

Make sure you read the handbook about CWs

It's fairly lengthy and your notary class instructor oversimplified when they can be used.

However, this is a case where the use of credible witnesses would be justified, as one of the requirements is that it must be very difficult, if not impossible, to obtain proper ID.

Some notaries think that "couldn't be bothered to do it when they should have" falls into the "very difficult" category, some of us are a little more stringent about following the wording that the handbook provides.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.