Notary Rotary
HP Toner vs. Generic
Notary Discussion History

HP Toner vs. Generic
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Michelle/AL on 3/17/09 10:59pm
Msg #281071

HP Toner vs. Generic

Is it just me, or what? Up until 1-2 months ago I purchased only HP toner for two of my printers. I ordered from the HP website and would occasionally get some half-way decent discounts. Well....when I was in a pinch in January I purchased toner from Office Depot, and then one month later from LD Products. It seems to me that the non-HP toners don't contain as much ink as HP. When I print loan docs a window pops up on my screen showing me how much toner is left in the cartridge. There is no way this current cartridge that I installed 3 days ago should be almost out of ink. I purchased the "X" cartridge version for HP and the generic which means xtra ink/toner so my comparison of the two seems valid to me. Has anyone else come across this?

Reply by snoopdogMs on 3/18/09 5:31am
Msg #281080

Michelle, I have an HP3005 and have used only the genericX versions without a problem. I have ordered from 2 different sites where my cartridges only cost around $50 for 11K or 13K pages. So far so good!

Reply by CopperheadVA on 3/18/09 6:02am
Msg #281083

I've been ordering toner from LD Products for about a year and a half - the Q6511X cartridge. There was one cartridge that I installed and after about a week it told me that toner was low. I contacted LD Products and they replaced that cartridge. I do track my page usage per cartridge, and I seem to get *approximately* the same amount of pages that I did from the genuine HP cartridges. I can still get about an additional 2,000 pages out of the cartridge once it first starts to tell me that toner is low.

In any case, paying $50 for the generic as opposed to $215 for the genuine, it's definitely worth it for me to go with the generic.

Reply by JamesLee/VA on 3/18/09 6:54am
Msg #281087

I had a bad experience with the generic toners as well. I have an HP4350DTN and a HP4250TN that both use the Q5942X that is supposed to yield 20,000. The cartridge retails for about $250 I believe. I usually buy 3 or 4 at at time so I bought 1 from Inkjets.com for $75.00 to give it a shot. I stay pretty busy and at times I can print 1500 to about 2000 pages a week. I opened the cartridge about 3 months after I get it and within 5 days I get the low toner indicator. I assumed it was a bad chip on the cartridge. BAM!! 3 days after that, out of toner. They have a return policy of 6 months but you have to have 75% toner left. Told them I would never do it again.

EBAY all the way!!..Genuine HP unopened Tab not pulled $135 to $150.00 Never have had a problem. It may not yield quite 20,000 but its a heck of a lot closer than the 3000 generic.

Reply by CF on 3/18/09 7:03am
Msg #281088

Hit or miss for me....I have a Brother. I ordered from einktogo.com and only was able to print about 1000 pages out of 3 cartridges that I ordered. It should have yielded around 8000 pages. I have been ordering from LD Products with more success, although, I have a couple of duds from them too. Luck of the draw- if you ask me. I am still saving money- even if they are on the low side of printing capacity.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 3/18/09 7:07am
Msg #281089

OK. So it isn't me. Thanks for all the responses. n/m

Reply by Cambeth/FL on 3/18/09 9:51am
Msg #281111

Re: OK. So it isn't me. Thanks for all the responses.

I have been using ReChargX ( www.TonerRefillKits.com) for my refill. They tell me each brand of printer uses it on mix of toner and not to use a generic. Each time I order, I receive a new chip for the cartridge to reset the count. After a xxx number of page prints, the chip indicates the toner is low or empty. No problems with the toner or cartridge ordered with the company. They also send a fresh back of "M & M's" with the order.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 3/18/09 10:19am
Msg #281115

I, too, use TonerRefillKits.com & they are a great savings.

The cartridges are refillable mutiple times. I even refill the ones I have bought at stores. They have a handy little tool for this purpose.

The only problem I have is beating my husband to the M&M's! = )

Reply by LynnNC on 3/18/09 10:35am
Msg #281122

I have ordered from TonerRefillKits.com...

...but never received M & M's!

Reply by trnsa_IL on 3/18/09 10:50am
Msg #281123

Wow! I have always gotten M&M's, You were "robbed"! n/m

Reply by MichiganAl on 3/18/09 10:09am
Msg #281112

Not only do I have that same issue, but I also find that I can't refill my generic cartridges and get any decent results. They go bad before the first refill is finished where as I can usually get three or four refills with the HP before it starts to go bad. I've had to stick with the genuine HP cartridges.

Reply by davidK/CA on 3/18/09 1:05pm
Msg #281170

I believe there is a significant difference between remanufactured cartridges and just refilled cartridges.

My experience with LD Products has been excellent with their remanufactured cartridges since the process of remanufacturing actually takes the cartridge apart and replaces the used or worn out components and then refills the cartridge with toner specific to that manufacturer and printer model. The result is (IMHO) a quality product akin to the automobile dealers "certified" used cars.

I have actually refilled cartridges, both OEM (HP and Brother) and generic in an attempt to save money, but none of my "home" refilled cartridges have ever been equal to the performance of remanufactured cartridges from LD Products.

For the record, I have no affiliation with LD Products other than as a satisfied customer.

Reply by RickG/CA on 3/18/09 3:19pm
Msg #281188

I've been using monoprice.com for my toner cartridge purchases. I've squeeked out close to 6,000 prints with my Hp2000 (average yield is 5,000). I get the remanufactured vs refilled, but who knows what goes on at the other end. In California if ordered by 11a you can receive the next day for $0.50 more than 2-3 day shipping.

Reply by bahama on 3/18/09 4:27pm
Msg #281203

I have been getting my toner from Cartridge World haven't had any problems. Where I would have paid $104.00 for my Brother's printer I paid $59.99 for their high yield.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.