Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Here's what I have to say about what is starting to......
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by janCA on 3/6/09 1:08pm
Msg #279837

transpire on this forum.

Well, it's not me saying it, I am quoting verbatim from the book "Don't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff by Richard Carlson, PH.D.

"Almost everyone feels that their own opinions are good ones, otherwise they wouldn't be sharing them with you. One of the destructive things that many of us do, however, is compare someone else's opinion to our own. And, when it doesn't fall in line with our belief, we either dismiss it or find fault with it. We feel smug, the other person feels diminished, and we learn nothing.

Almost every opinion has some merit, especially if we are looking for merit, rather than looking for errors. The next time someone offers you an opinion, rather than judge or criticize it, see if you can find a grain of truth in what the person is saying.

If you think about it, when you judge someone else or their opinion, it really doesn't say anything about the other person, but it says quite a bit about your need to be judgemental."

Take it for what it's worth. Remember, it's not just NSA's, SS's that peruse this board, but maybe that next big client that ALMOST called you until they read this board.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/6/09 2:23pm
Msg #279844

I'm with Jan on this one. I think too many people forget that this is a professional forum and there are a LOT of people reading our words that do not post. Those of us who get the positive feedback from people (and signing services, TC, etc.) who never post here understand that.

I visited and read this board and its' archives for over 3 years before I felt comfortable making a post. You'd be surprised at how very many others are out there like that. Not only that, but as Jan mentioned, people who may be considering us for work can (and do!) choose to call or not call based on a single post they might read here.

The way you respond and treat people here is very likely how you will treat a borrower, signer or customer -- and people pay attention. I know I've received numerous calls and jobs as a direct result of something I've posted here (all positive)... so I'm sure others have as well.

Reply by sue_pa on 3/6/09 8:17pm
Msg #279883

I SOOOOOO DISAGREE

...The way you respond and treat people here is very likely how you will treat a borrower, signer or customer -- ...

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/6/09 2:45pm
Msg #279849

Great posts and I agree, Jan and Marian! n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/6/09 2:45pm
Msg #279850

Great posts and I agree, Jan and Marian! n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/6/09 3:12pm
Msg #279857

Although I agree with the basic premise stated here

I'd suggest you go back and read Msg #279788 - started by the owner of a signing service that has been suspended and is not authorized to conduct business in the State of CA but IS still conducting business...this thread should never have been posted by him at all - he started this whole mess and and it sounds like you're defending him - I don't honestly see how you can condone what he said to and about your peers in that thread and justify it by calling it his right to an opinion ...

And that's MY take on it..

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/6/09 3:40pm
Msg #279860

Re: Although I agree with the basic premise stated here

Nobody's defending him, at least I'm not. I just chose to ignore it rather than make it worse. But that thread is not the only one. In recent days there has a swell of really nasty comments that just don't belong. And it's apparent that somebody agrees since several of said messages are being deleted for being abusive or inappropriate.

It is possible to alert people to a "bad seed" without being rude and abusive. That's the point. The information about this person and his suspended CA corporation are easily found via a search.

Most people can tell (at least those that read here) that some people and services clearly have some issues and we should avoid working with them. Their behavior here really is a good indication of how they are as businesspeople.

Reply by MichiganAl on 3/6/09 4:55pm
Msg #279865

Here's what I have to say

Whenever there's a disagreement on the forum, it's only a matter of time before someone feels the need to post some variation of the "why can't we all get along" post. Sorry, but I'll just continue to make my own decision on what to respond to and how I want to respond. If someone wants to continue to misuse this forum as their own personal chalkboard, scribbling their nonstop thoughts, awful advice, pathetic attempts at educating us, & giving us lame tips that any junior high school student would know, I'll continue to respond until they stop abusing this forum. If someone with a clear disdain for our profession wants to continue to treat us as a commodity to be bought as cheaply as possible instead of treating us as the provider of what I believe is a valuable service, then I'm going to take umbrage and I'm going to respond. You can choose to ignore if you want, that's up to you. I choose to defend my profession and I choose to respond if I think someone continues to provide misleading or potentially harmful misinformation on an almost daily basis.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/6/09 5:56pm
Msg #279869

Re: Here's what I have to say

I agree for the most part... but the real difference is in how people react, not if.

Using sarcastic insult is really just fuel for the fire most of the time. If you want to stop this guy, it's easy enough to do a bit of research and fight him using more effective methods.

You can call the CA Dept of Consumer Affairs at 916-590-5331 and report him. His suspended Corporation number is C2494409. Or, you could always call the CA Atty General's office, too, to their Public Inquiry Unit: 916-322-3360.

I have no experience with the man or his company so I have no opinion on it... other than his remarks are just as juvenile and rude as a few others here. Public record is pretty clear that his Corporation is suspended in the State.

Why? I don't know. A corporation can be suspended for a variety of reasons. But, a combination of behavior and publicly confirmed business troubles are fairly telling.

Reply by SoCal Signing Co. on 3/6/09 6:32pm
Msg #279871

Henry

Henry is trying to to ruffle some feathers
and for the most part its working.

He is enjoying this im sure.

a side thought:
Just because one of his corporation is suspended does not mean he has to stop doing business.
It means he has to stop doing business under his corporation under the name of the suspended company.

he can do business as an LLC, under a General Partnership, or another completely different corporation all together.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/6/09 6:37pm
Msg #279872

Re: Henry

"Just because one of his corporation is suspended does not mean he has to stop doing business.
It means he has to stop doing business under his corporation under the name of the suspended company.

he can do business as an LLC, under a General Partnership, or another completely different corporation all together."

I know that - perhaps you should do some googling and website surfing....quite revealing...

Reply by janCA on 3/6/09 6:46pm
Msg #279873

Freedom of Expression, "ain't it grand?"

Reply by Becca_FL on 3/6/09 7:41pm
Msg #279879

Bravo, Al, BRAVO! n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 3/7/09 9:13am
Msg #279955

Re: Bravo, Al, BRAVO!

Same here.

Reply by sue_pa on 3/6/09 8:34pm
Msg #279888

...If someone with a clear disdain for our profession wants to continue to treat us as a commodity to be bought as cheaply as possible instead of treating us as the provider of what I believe is a valuable service, then I'm going to take umbrage and I'm going to respond. ...

The reason I post about fees to this guy and other signing services, including everyone's "favorite guy", is that they cheapen our business. Signing services are here to stay and there are plenty of them that treat us fairly and HONESTLY. Notaries without experience in our business (not necessarily putting pen to paper) will think that $90 is the 'standard'. Think how many are out there working for $60 for a full refi w/e-docs (received something from a CA signing service today w/their prices listed.) There are MANY of us who earn CONSIDERABLY higher fees, earn those fees consistently and earn those fees with full schedules. His trying to say that there are many who accept the lower fees is probably very true but if no one speaks out loud and lets others know that there are MANY companies who pay fair fees for competent closers, how would anyone know. I had 5 orders today - $175, $150, $150, $188, $125. Tomorrow $50 for 2 docs (from the ss who pays $60 for an entire loan package) and $150. Monday $110, $175, $112.50, $150 - unfortunately I had to turn away a $188 and a $150 (although the $188 may get wiggled in if docs come in the a.m.)

Perhaps those of us with years of experience who have seen almost every situation possible (until the next one pops up and makes us scratch our heads) should keep quiet and allow others to learn from their own mistakes ... as those of us on the ground floor of this business a decade ago did.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/6/09 11:34pm
Msg #279930

Very well said, Sue!! I agree with you & Al big time! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.