Notary Rotary
Homeland Security Form I 9
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Barbara___IL on 3/23/09 9:17am
Msg #281748

Does anyone know if there would be a problem with my notarizing a signature for someone regarding Homeland Security Form I 9, Employment Eligibilty Verification? The signer told me, her bank wouldn't notarize it. She has IDs. Thanks, Barbara

Reply by CopperheadVA on 3/23/09 9:26am
Msg #281749

After reading the wording on this, I will not notarize it because it's not asking for a notarization, but rather a certification of employment and eligibility of the applicant to work in the USA. In lieu of, I have offered to notarize/certify a copy of their identification (this is allowed in Virginia) but I've only had one person take me up on it.

Reply by Barbara___IL on 3/23/09 9:39am
Msg #281750

Thanks. I didn't understand where it needed to be notarized. B.

Reply by Roger_OH on 3/23/09 9:54am
Msg #281753

I will notarize the signature on these using a loose ack, but cannot sign the part that certifies they are eligible to work in the U.S.

Reply by dickb/wi on 3/23/09 6:20pm
Msg #281866

exactly what i do rog..the employer told me that all.......

they were interested in is that the party signing was identified and is in fact the party whos signature is on the document...as it is printed it is not notarizable.....you just have to attach a loose ack......

Reply by A-1 Signing Agents, LLC on 3/23/09 9:54am
Msg #281754

I have been called alot lately to notarize these forms. There is usually an acknowledgement that is sent with it.

Reply by LynnNC on 3/23/09 9:59am
Msg #281757

PAW - What is your opinion?

Although employers tell new employees to contact a notary to complete the form, you would not be acting as a notary when doing so as a notarization is not required. You would view the person's ID, either one or two forms depending on what is presented, and complete the form. When I talked to the employer I 9 representative, she said that where the form asks for capacity of the certifier, to put "employer representative".

I have handled on of these, completing the certification online. I knew that I wasn't acting as a notary in doing so, but, there might have been a risk that I hadn't thought of. I did record his identification information in my Notary Journal, with a notation that it was a I 9 certification, rather than a notarization. I charged $35.

I would be interested in PAW's opinion on this.

Reply by PAW on 3/23/09 1:19pm
Msg #281796

Re: PAW - What is your opinion?

The I-9 Form itself is not notarized. However, if there is an Authorization Letter, which subsequently authorizes the notary public to act as the 'hiring' company's bona fide representative, then have at it. Short of that authorization, it is not a notarial function in most, if not all, states.

You may want to look at the thread starting at msg# 112904

Reply by LynnNC on 3/23/09 1:35pm
Msg #281802

There is an Authorization Letter

The employee fills in information on the I 9 online, which goes to the employer, and then the employer sends an email "which authorizes the notary public to act as the 'hiring' company's bona fide representative" with a link and a password. After entering the password on the employer's I 9 website, the notary is able to access the partially completed I 9.

I should probably use the term "employer representative" rather than notary in this instance, since there is not a notarial act involved in completing the I 9.

Reply by PAW on 3/23/09 2:05pm
Msg #281807

You got it, Lynn!

As you stated, you are acting as their representative, not a notary. Colleges and Universities do this a lot. They'll 'hire' notaries to act on their behalf in the performance of validating the applicant.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 3/23/09 5:43pm
Msg #281860

Isn't this what the NNA was touting...

with the Trusted Agent thing, or whatever they called it? What ever happened to that?

Reply by Barbara___IL on 3/23/09 10:00am
Msg #281758

Thanks everyone. I appreciate you being there for me.

Reply by A-1 Signing Agents, LLC on 3/23/09 10:10am
Msg #281760

Just pulled up one of the forms i've been sent. The only thing I do is Section 2. Employer review and verification. I know i'm not the employer. Only acting as a representative. Now you all have me thinking. I fill in the type of ID's, underline Authorized Rep, get photo's of their ID and off it goes. All that I have done has been for people who sell credit card machines. They are finding it odd themselves being as some have been in business doing this for a while and suddenly they are being asked to identify themselves.

Has this been the same for others?

Reply by A S Johnson on 3/23/09 11:22am
Msg #281775

I have refused to do these.
1) I am NOT the employer representative, unless the employer has ask to me to do this and I would be charging him.
2) I am a Notary 24 hours a day. If I do any thing that can be considered as a Notary Act, then I will abide Notary rules. In other words, I am never a "witness" because that is what a Notary is really diong. As a Notary I am NOT premitted to fill out the blanks in the body of the item am to notarize.

Reply by RickG/CA on 3/23/09 12:12pm
Msg #281788

Questioning why you are involved?!?!

This form is to be completed by

(1) an employee (and/or preparer) who attest to his/her eligibilty to work in the US and,

(2) an employer (or authorized representative) who attest to examining the ID presented.

What part are you?

Reply by SueW/Tn on 3/23/09 12:41pm
Msg #281793

Absolutely correct Rick

I had to fill one of these out when I started my part-time job and my boss was very precise about the form. He had to verify my identification and forwarded everything to the home office where I assume they finished the form. He told me they were all over him about NOT filling things in, that it was their job to verify my eligibility and that his was only to verify who was sitting in front of him signing the form.

Reply by Cari on 3/23/09 1:20pm
Msg #281798

I-9 Verification

check out http://www.chicagonotaryservices.com/E-Verify.html. You can register with USCIS and file these electronically. I do these all the time....

P.S not promoting my website or anything like that...

Reply by A-1 Signing Agents, LLC on 3/23/09 3:46pm
Msg #281823

Re: I-9 Verification

Just like with a SS or TC, we represent them. They hire us, we do the job. I'm not into all the legal mumbo jumbo. I fill out the portion the company hires me to do, witness their sig and i'm done with it. Seems like any other notary act.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/23/09 3:48pm
Msg #281826

Re: I-9 Verification...that's just it...

Filling out those I-9's is NOT a notary act - at least not in FL and not from what I could see of the form..

Reply by A-1 Signing Agents, LLC on 3/23/09 4:27pm
Msg #281844

Re: I-9 Verification...that's just it...

That is what i'm saying. I do not fill it out. Only witness them signing. And put in the type of ID they present. I'm getting these from a very reputable company. I think they wouldn't put their name on the line unless it is legit.

Reply by Barbara___IL on 3/23/09 5:31pm
Msg #281854

I didn't do the notarization. She went to Harris Bank and they did it for free. I told her to check with her bank again or another one, and I'm glad she did.

Thanks all. I'll know more for next time.
Barbara

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.