Notary Rotary
Illinois Notaries
Notary Discussion History

Illinois Notaries
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Kay/IL on 3/30/09 9:17pm
Msg #282768

Illinois Notaries

What's a suggested fair price to charge for your notary signing service? I've been a part-time signing agent for about 5 1/2 years. It seems I'm on speed dial for the low paying signing companies since that's how I started out. However, since this surge in refinancing, many other companies have been calling me for closing starting anywhere from $90.00 to as much as $175.00. I've done these closings and received excellent reviews so I want to not only do more work for them but make sure I'm being paid a fair price.

So what is a fair standard rate for an Illinois signing agent?

Reply by oldhippie_IL on 3/30/09 9:34pm
Msg #282772

Kay, where are you located?

Reply by Kay/IL on 3/30/09 10:01pm
Msg #282773

I'm in Cook County, Illinois but also serve DuPage and Will Counties.

Reply by Cari on 3/31/09 3:29pm
Msg #282879

DON'T DO WORK FOR LESS THAN $125!!

check you pm

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/31/09 4:08pm
Msg #282880

I would not say that, Cari.

As I told the Dept. of Justice agent when she called me about possible price-fixing..."If experienced notaries see that kind of statement in the notary community online we tell the poster that it's considered price fixing, it's illegal and the DOJ doesn't take it lightly."

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/31/09 4:21pm
Msg #282883

Too many variables to make that statement

I don't know how someone can pick a certain fee out of the air....there are so many variables
in requests, therefore (at least in my world) many variables in fees.
Real estate, purchases (one or both sides), refinances, HELOCs (which include HECMs), vehicle lease or purchases, amt. of travel, printing or not, etc etc etc.
That is not to mention that geographic location and competition sometime cause varying fees.

Fees are not one size fits all.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/31/09 4:40pm
Msg #282885

Re: Too many variables to make that statement..may I add

the degree of expertise brought to the table also carries some weight...

Reply by trnsa_IL on 3/31/09 4:41pm
Msg #282886

Agreed, You took the words right out of my mouth. n/m

Reply by Cari on 4/3/09 11:25am
Msg #283386

Price Fixing...r u nuts?

How can my statement be possibly construed as 'price fixing'...it's merely a suggestion...price fixing is what major food store chains do...price fix their milk prices so as to 'ease' competition.

And that price isn't a one size fit all price....I agree with most that it really does depend on the type of situation/loan, experience and what you bring to the table....

My point was that NO ONE should work for anything less than that for any type of loan closing...the notary costs are just too high to go any lower than that....

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/3/09 11:32am
Msg #283392

Re: Price Fixing...r u nuts? Cari, I wish I were nuts.

I'm not the only one on this board whose had the experience of chatting with the DOJ about alledged price-fixing going on among notaries.

I think if you do a search you'll find where others mention having talked to them since late summer, early fall.

I'm surprised more didn't chime in on this thread. Maybe they weren't paying attention that day.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.