Notary Rotary
Is there as site for G/B/U notaries?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Yowheelz on 3/14/09 4:41pm
Msg #280764

I had this question put to me today by a very good signing service that had a no show. I agreed to go do the signing but they wanted to know if there was a site like NotRot to list notaries. I suggested they check out notaries on this website first. If they do not have a profile and have not updated their profile in years than don't use them. They are probably not qualified or at the most only occassional signers. What do you think, any suggestions?

Reply by Ernest__CT on 3/14/09 4:45pm
Msg #280765

That's good advice! n/m

Reply by VioCa on 3/14/09 5:22pm
Msg #280767

Re: That's good advice!

How is it possible that a Notary Signing Agent be evaluated based on his/her activity on this site. This is beyond my comprehension and it is wrong. I know a few very knowlegeable Signing Agents that do not even have a free membership on this site, does that make them not eligible to receive any work? Again I feel this is the wrong aproach

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/14/09 9:39pm
Msg #280791

That's one way to look at it. And I'm sure you're right about there being many good notaries who don't bother with this site. But another way to look at it is that if someone DOES have a decent profile and a recently updated one here, the hiring entity just upped the chances that they will find a well qualified notary. I've looked at more than a few profiles over the years and they can be very telling. For lack of a better solution, I'd agree that it was good advice.

Those of us that bother to advertise here would like to see as much traffic coming this way as possible. I know I've gotten several assignments from new clients from this site just in the last week. Your knowledgeable signing agent friends who don't advertise here are missing out. I think it's a great idea for those of us who do advertise -- especially Premier Membership -- to promote this site to our clients as much as possible!

Reply by VioCa on 3/14/09 11:29pm
Msg #280805

From the original poster
"suggested they check out notaries on this website first. If they do not have a profile and have not updated their profile in years than don't use them. They are probably not qualified or at the most only occassional signers".

That is what I was thinking. Why would an escrow officer not use a good Signing Agent only because he/she does not have a profile on this site. This is not proof that the signing agent is not qualified or is an occassional signer.

I agree this site is a good informational source for this kind of business but to select good qualified Signing Agents there is a need of a little bit more than what was suggested by the original poster

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/15/09 6:05pm
Msg #280839

I certainly couldn't disagree with your comments about the original post - with one exception: your comment about it not being a good approach. She clearly overstated in saying that unless someone had a current profile and was a member in good standing (or however she put it) that they wouldn't be qualified. But she was suggesting a way that they could find someone who IS qualified.

I think if one of us is faced with a question like that, and we are paying to advertise here, that it is a smart move to refer a title company to somewhere they are likely to find you, along with good information that can help you get the assignment. Of course, that assumes that the person is actually a paid member, with an updated posting that has had some good effort put into it. Shoot, if all of us here did that, we would all benefit...

Do you have any other suggestions as to what she might have told them (apart from referring them to a competitor to NotRot - against the rules to mention those here!)

Reply by JulieD/KS on 3/14/09 7:12pm
Msg #280769

Continuing the theme of "You get what you pay for"....I daresay that companies that insist on hiring the cheapest notary are more likely to get no shows and/or incomplete docs.

I had a company email me yesterday and said they'd paid me $50 last time they hired me and they have a similar job and would I do it for $50 again? I knew they were trying to railroad me because I don't work for $50 and haven't for a long time. I dug out the invoice from March 2008 and they'd paid me $80. I responded with "You actually paid me $80 last year and I'll take $80 again this year". She then responded with "Well, the most we can pay is $65 but I like to use the same notary if I can". So, why did she offer $50? I thanked her and told her to let me know if I can help her in the future but that my business fees are what they are for a reason.

You get what you pay for.

Reply by Roger_OH on 3/14/09 7:46pm
Msg #280770

Re: Is there a site for G/B/U notaries?

As with the various "no-no" lists that have been around for years, one SAs trash is another one's treasure.

Perhaps you had an issue with a particular company, and they placed you on a general GBU notary list that other companies had access to. Can you imagine finding out you were on a blacklist for many companies, when you only had an issue with one?

Reply by NCLisa on 3/15/09 1:54am
Msg #280809

We've hired notaries from this site for out of state closings, and we've had nothing but problems. Never again! If I can't find a state with a Notary Network, or the NotCoop doesn't have a notary in that area, then I'll do a "mail-away" before I will hire a notary from here or 123 again.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/15/09 8:43am
Msg #280817

Re: Is there as site for G/B/U notaries?....wow

that's quite a harsh statement there, Lisa...

Reply by MW/VA on 3/15/09 10:28am
Msg #280824

That statement is harsh, and not necessarily true. There are highly qualified notaries who advertise on the major sites, and there are those that are clueless. There are many qualified notaries that don't list on the sites at all. It's no different than accepting work from an ss--there are good & bad on both sides of the coin in this business. I know that many of the major companies keep their own database, with ratings for the notaries. I for one, get annoyed with the handholding, threats of deductions, etc., but I also know why those measures are necessary.

Reply by Cheryl Anderson on 3/15/09 12:18pm
Msg #280830

For what it is worth...

Here is my analogy for what Notary Rotary, or other sites are....to me. I feel that sites like this are like aisles in a super market. The aisles are covered with packages (notary profiles) that are distinctively painted in enticing colors...reds, yellows, white, etc., just like the marketing colors on packages of goods, used to draw the attention of the consumer...(signing companies, title co's, etc.) But our colors are our wording...what we put in our profiles to "sell" our wares. We may be passed over if our profile doesn't meet a certain criteria, or we may be chosen because our packaging is so irrisistable...or we are simply "picked" out of desperation to satisfy the appetite of the last minute craving (rush). Sometimes we can be lucky enough to compare to the branding like "COKE" or "PEPSI" because we are just that good...(as experienced, professional notaries). So, the more our "aisles" are scanned by our potential consumer, I think it is important to make sure that our packaging "sells" and grasps the attention of anyone here who peruses this site, or any other site for that matter. To me...Notary Rotary is an opportunity that couldn't either make you or break you, but could certainly get you noticed. But this is just how I think...and so many of you on here make me want to be a better notary...make me remember to update my business plan, my marketing "look"...and to continuously update my "colors." I've got lots to compare myself to, and I take a lot with me that I pull from these forums...thank goodness!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/15/09 6:10pm
Msg #280840

Very well said, Cheryl - couldn't agree more!

When it comes down to it, it's all advertising. But it's the results that end up developing the reputation of the brand!

Reply by NCLisa on 3/15/09 8:57pm
Msg #280846

Yes, there are good and bad, but we've tried a total of 12 times now, and used NR or 123 all times. The profiles had to be blatant lies because of all the mistakes made. One notary that I posted about on this site, forgot to get the note signed. Another stamped all the notary pages, but forgot to sign them. Another shrunk all the documents so you couldn't read them. About 2 weeks ago, the notary forgot what her expiration date was and put 2007 on everything, and then would not answer her phone or return calls. I had to call the SOS's office and find out what her experation date was, and then attach an affidavit to the deed. Another said that because the borrower was not signing the docs in a spousal state, that the spousal docs were not required and refused to have them signed even though I explained that the property was in NC, and they were required here, and I would be happy to let him talk to the attorney. We had to email the spousal docs to the borrower and they took them to their bank to be notarized, a mail-away would have been cheaper. As you can see we have had absolutely no luck, and no one that could help with recommendations in those areas.

I'm starting to think that there are a lot more bad NSA's out there, than there are good ones.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/15/09 9:56pm
Msg #280850

Jeez...that's pretty pathetic, and scary....guess you deserve to feel the way you do and can't say I blame you...

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/16/09 3:20am
Msg #280853

Yikes!! I have so many reactions to that, I don't know where to begin... I guess first off, I'm very glad, once again, that I'm not a ss or in the notary hiring business! Secondly, it's really upsetting that there are so many who are that clueless - or careless - and, as you said, must be seriously fudging their profiles (to be kind). On any given day, anyone can make a mistake, but jeeeeeez!!! I don't know what that says about our chosen profession... Sure is encouraging, though, for those of us who tell the truth and take extra care with our work. Wink

Seriously, I hope you have better luck in the future!

Reply by VioCa on 3/16/09 10:32am
Msg #280862

I am with you on this one Lisa.
From what I see when I have a split signing, from missed signatures, dates or even failing to natarize the deed of trust, I do believe that you had horrible experiences.
Last package I have seen last week came to me from a South Carolina Notary, (the property was in California), and I could not believe what the Notary did on the Deed of Trust, she signed as a witness and that was it. I know that in South Carolina there are two witnesses reguired and one of them can be the Notary but it has to be notarized though.
From all the split signings that I had over the years I saw only one package that was properly signed and notarized

Reply by NCLisa on 3/16/09 9:32pm
Msg #280919

The very worst one was done by a woman that was the manager of a small title company that claimed she'd done over 10,000 closings, half of them as a EO or Settlement officer whatever it is in her state.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/15/09 6:38pm
Msg #280841

I agree that that's a bit harsh - and painting everyone with the same brush isn't really fair. Naturally, just because someone has a profile here -- or anywhere else -- isn't a guarantee that they really know their stuff. A few minutes on the phone will at least give you a better idea. But neither is a profile here an indication that any given notary is NOT a knowledgeable professional. And I'm not convinced that being in a network is any guarantee, either, although there may be some networks in some areas that collectively are very good. But not all of them are created equal...

I guess it's always a bit of a cr@pshoot until you have a relationship with someone, just as it is with us in choosing to work for someone. Just the nature of the beast. I'm sorry to hear, though, that you've had such problems.

Reply by JulieD/KS on 3/16/09 7:58am
Msg #280855

When you hire a notary from NotRot or 123, do you call around until you get the cheapest price or do you pay a fair fee? If you are shopping for the cheapest price, then you have no basis to complain. Those of us with knowledge and experience don't charge the lowest rates...but then, we know what we are doing!

Reply by janCA on 3/16/09 9:54am
Msg #280860

Interview them.

Just my small input here, but, do you interview an NSA before you actually hire them and put them in your database? Interview them thoroughly. Ask pertinent questions concerning a loan signing. Even go through the vital docs of a loan signing and ask them how they "explain" or "describe" these documents. And then ask if that document is to be notarized. You should be able to get a pretty good idea of the experience of this NSA. I'm sorry for the problems that you've had. This is very disheartening to hear about our profession.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.