Notary Rotary
LandAmerica Financial Group, Inc. et al.. Debtors: Ch 11
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Susan Fischer on 3/8/09 9:59pm
Msg #280043

Damn. Here's hoping there aren't too many facing filing cliams. (I have no claim to make, but getting the having succeeded before, my general rule is to *always* file the claim, even if it's a hard-earned fifty bucks. It's a pain, but then - at least I was 'at the table,' and got a sliver of the pie instead of el zippo.)

Everything that rises must fall. I call it Economic Gravity. When the demand increases for the value of things, the value has to be kept in relative check, balanced between workers, industry, production, commerce, investors, and government. That balance between the value of things vs. the things of value.

I say, it comes down to good old fashioned accounting principles. Balancing books, not cooking books. Paying bills first. Risk Management and Oversight. Partnering with communities and schools, and supporting societal healing and growth.

If the Mega Companies would actually 'trickle down' their astronomical wealth, we'd all be just fine down here.

Anyway, LandAm. Damn.

Reply by Tam/Kansas on 3/8/09 10:39pm
Msg #280044

I have rec'd everything to file my claim, they owe me $ 175.00. I was just going to write it off. I won't be able to appear in court hearings or anything so I didn't think it would do any good to file against them.

Do you know if it will do any good to file against them if I cannot appear in court?

Reply by Pat/IL on 3/8/09 11:27pm
Msg #280045

Tam, if you don't make your claim you pretty much guarantee there will be nothing left for you in the end. If you do, at least you are in line. I couldn't say whether appearing in court would help you or just waste your time. But I doubt many unsecured creditors with small claims actually put in an appearance.

As always, it is wise to verify for yourself independently, rather than acting on anonymous opinions from a message board. But I'm sure you know that already.

Best wishes for you collection efforts, and also those of all of the others attempting to reap the fruit of their labor.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/9/09 12:08am
Msg #280046

I prefer to file claims. Sometimes I get a check, sometimes

I don't. But as Pat said, you're guaranteed a goose egg if you fail to file. I've appeared in court only in local cases over the years.

Reply by Joe_PA on 3/9/09 10:14am
Msg #280063

I have been working with them since I became a notary and always had a good relationship with them. So when my check bounced after they files for bankruptcy I got very concerned. Call their office and was told not to worry just resubmit it. Because of the bankruptcy filing the court put a freeze on the account. Resubmitted and it cleared.

Since then I did another job for them. got check and deposited. I will say it too a little longer to get the check, normally 2 to 3 weeks took 4-weeks

Reply by Cari on 3/9/09 11:15am
Msg #280073

received the same notice...chucked in the can! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.