Notary Rotary
Last Page of Mortgage Instrument
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by HKB on 3/24/09 11:19am
Msg #281951

I did a closing some days ago and notarized the last page of Mortgage Ins. I got that page back today via over night service and the lender service is requesting me to sign the lower portion where it says

This instrument was prepared by:

Name of the person
Name of the Bank
address ........State ....Zip

I affirm, under the penalties for perjury, that I have taken reasonable care to redact each Social Security number in this document.

I never sign here and wonder why they are asking me to sign .......... am I supposed to sign here? Any advise??

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

me

Reply by MonicaFL on 3/24/09 11:34am
Msg #281953

Well, if I didn't prepare it, I wouldn't sign it and I think that is what I would tell them. JMHO.

Reply by BobbiCT on 3/24/09 11:47am
Msg #281954

Cerfying who prepared mortgage and that SS #s redacted ...

No can do.

I would return it with a note:

I acted as a witness and notary public to the signatures on the mortgage deed. I neither worked with the person who prepared the mortgage or the title insurance agent who is recording it. As a notary public, I did NOT alter the document and do not have authority to alter the document once it is prepared by the lender.

I suggest you ask the title insurance agent who will be recording the mortgage deed to, if the title insurance company allows, make any redactions to the document text and certify that s/he did so; particularly as this is the company insuring the mortgage deed. Because I am neither an employee of the lender or the title insurance company, I have strict instructions NOT to alter any document prepared by either.

Reply by Yowheelz on 3/24/09 12:02pm
Msg #281956

Re: Cerfying who prepared mortgage and that SS #s redacted ...

I had one company threaten to not pay me unless I signed this section. I did not sign and I did get paid. They said it was a MD requirement that I sign this section. I told them to check with their attorney.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 3/24/09 8:40pm
Msg #282019

Re: Cerfying who prepared mortgage and that SS #s redacted ...

Never ever sign anything you did not prepare!

I work with a company that always asks that I sign the HUD. I attach a note stating if I sign this I would be committing fraud. I always get paid.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.