Notary Rotary
Learning Documents
Notary Discussion History

Learning Documents
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Kathryn on 3/17/09 1:28pm
Msg #280991

Learning Documents

There is a friend of mine "a newbie" who needs to learn what each document for a mortgage package means, etc. I will take the time to teach her by phone if I have to BUT I just wondered if any of you know of a website to send her so that she can learn on her own?
Thanks.

Reply by Jessc098 on 3/17/09 2:16pm
Msg #280995

I've recently completed the NNA's Notary Signing Agent training and found it very helpful even though I've been doing closings for a little while. I'd recommend it to anyone who's just starting out and doesn't have a background in the industry.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/17/09 2:22pm
Msg #280996

I don't know of any online site where you can learn the mortgage docs. However I believe this site has the Signing Registry Training Guide in the Notary Supplies store.
I would recommend that over any other training guide.

Reply by Dave_CA on 3/17/09 2:32pm
Msg #280997

I completely agree with Sylvia. The Signing Registry has great traing materials.
Stay far, far away from the NNA.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/17/09 4:32pm
Msg #281012

Echo!

I am echoing Sylvia and Dave - stay far away from NNA

Reply by MW/VA on 3/17/09 5:23pm
Msg #281025

Yes, NNA does a lot of promoting & draw from it. There are courses just as good, or better, like the material from The Signing Registry (now National Signing Agent Registry). A lot of people buy into the NNA Cert/BGC thing, too. There is a lot of misinformation contained in their material. NNA promotes NNA more than it does the profession as a whole.

Reply by Kathryn_OR on 3/17/09 4:58pm
Msg #281017

I'm Kathryn of Oregon. Would someone please tell me why to stay far far away from the NNA? I don't visit this site much. I'm pretty tired of not getting paid...so I've backed off from signings for awhile. Just starting to get back in...

Please advise me on the scoop against NNA...truthfully and direct. I just really want to know.

Reply by Steven Pearce on 3/17/09 5:11pm
Msg #281018

There is a lot of the 'Evil Empire' mentality

regarding the NNA because they have done some bonehead things like publish a lowball fee list as a recommendation for what we should be paid.

Truth be told, NNA has some pretty good material. They have a training guide that is in excess of 400 pages that picks apart the docs, expains them fairly well, and even has samples of them for the newbie to see.

I like the training material I got from them, but after my certification with them expires, I'll be renewing here at Not Rot, mainly due to the incessant invoicing for membership renewals that the NNA keeps sending. I don't buy into the Evil Empire thingy, but the money grubbing they do is getting to be annoying.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/18/09 1:45am
Msg #281077

Re: There is a lot of the 'Evil Empire' mentality

Smart move. But the Signing Registry program offered here has the best reputation.

For the record, there are many other reasons people have become disillusioned with the "XYZ" over the years. I probably shouldn't bother to do this, but what the heck -- it's been a while since this was discussed in depth. (First of all, let me say that this is all JUST MY OPINION! OK, got that out of the way...)

* Many here have found that the information they give out on their hotline is unreliable.

* They present themselves as a non-profit (using a ".org" as their primary web address) although only their foundation is non-profit. The main organization is very definitely a for-profit enterprise, and their business practices clearly bear that out. Nothing wrong with that, but I think the deception shows a lack of integrity. (Again, jmho.)

* A few years back, they heavily advertised their NSA training programs to the general notary population, misrepresenting (imo - and many others') the income potential, especially for a new person. Just in Southern California, for example, they were holding multiple classes every month, and this was going on in many population centers around the country. The market became oversaturated with "NSAs" in those markets. Then they published their "minimum" fee schedules and many hiring entities started reducing what they were willing to pay. The market was flooded with people who had never notarized anything, but thought they could make a six-figure income doing this. There was always a plentiful supply of new people willing to work for very cheap. (I haven't checked in a long time, so I have no idea if this is still going on.)

* Their one-day class wasn't really enough for people to learn all they need to know, so someone was telling them just to come to this board to get their questions answered. Almost daily, we were seeing posts from people who were fresh out of class and wanted us to tell them how to get started, without having done any homework first. They often asked the most basic questions that they should have learned on their own or in a class, then got mad if they didn't hear what they wanted. (That triggered the start of msg. 33325.) Some of us even got calls from people who wanted to do "ride-alongs" so we could teach them how to do signings and start their businesses in our own backyard. One guy wanted me to hire him part time while I trained him! Worst of all, almost every week I was meeting someone who "used to be a notary". They had invested a good deal to take the classes, buy all the supplies, then found out it was harder than they thought, so they quit -- several hundred dollars later. (I'm still running into people like that frequently.)

* They heavily promoted their background check requirement because of a "new" law (that was passed about six (?) years previously). Then they convinced many of the largest of our potential clients that theirs was the only background check that was good enough and that it should be required before they hired anyone. But, as you well know, to get that service from them you also have to pay for two memberships, plus the certification every two years. (Notary Rotary also offers an even more comprehensive backgroung check.) Even though anyone who is actively pursuing this business is going to be much better qualified two years into it, you have to pay for the same thing over and over again. For a long time (or still??), many of the people who were promoting that they were NNA Certified were right out of a class, with little or no experience. It's a red flag (and a joke) for many EOs/TCs who hire notaries directly. Many (most?) of those who had/have been around this business for a long time and have a depth of experience don't bother with certification. I don't recall ever being asked if I was NNA Certified, except by low-paying companies that I wouldn't want to work for anyway.

I could go on and I imagine many here could add a thing or two, but for those who are relatively new to this board, this should probably explain a little more why so many of us are no longer fans - to say the least! Wink

Reply by Jessc098 on 3/17/09 5:12pm
Msg #281020

I personally like the NNA's materials, though you're right, their idea of fees is way off base. I just presumed this to be either out of date or not geographically to me (I'm in Seattle which is Expensive for everything).

their training was very high quality in my opinion. Also, I just saw that they offer collections services through a vendor partnership... so I'm thinking of turning over a couple of bad invoices to them. (I haven't had much trouble with not getting paid, but I think I have two invoices that are past due).

Reply by Steven Pearce on 3/17/09 5:15pm
Msg #281022

Collections services

Didn't see that, I don't frequent the site.
If it works, that could be the deal keeper for me.
Keep us up to speed on that.

Reply by Shelly_FL on 3/17/09 5:22pm
Msg #281024

Re: Collections services

I gave them my $19.95 and haven't got anything in return but a confirmation they received it. That was March of 2007!

Reply by desktopfull on 3/17/09 6:03pm
Msg #281029

use orange search key, plenty of reasons not to use the NNA n/m

Reply by doglover/CA on 3/17/09 11:28pm
Msg #281073

On Youtube, there is a person with the handle "notarygift" who has some videos up explaining different types of documents in a loan package.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.