Notary Rotary
Livermore CA woman, notary arrested
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by davidK/CA on 3/12/09 9:26pm
Msg #280527

Livermore woman, notary arrested after allegedly defrauding deed to dead mother's house

By Roman Gokhman
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 03/12/2009 05:53:12 PM PDT

LIVERMORE — A woman who investigators say fraudulently changed the deed to her dead mother's house was arrested after she tried to evict several other family members who lived there, police said Thursday.

Donna May Dennis, 47, of Livermore, and 56-year-old Mariefe San Juan Bago, of Fresno, have been in custody at Santa Rita Jail in Dublin since their arrest Feb. 27, Livermore police Lt. Matthew Sarsfield said.

"They both conspired to commit these crimes," he said.

After Dennis' 71-year-old mother died from an illness on Sept. 12, Dennis allegedly prepared a fake quit claim deed to get control of the house, in the 200 block of El Caminito in Livermore. The deed had to be notarized, and police said Dennis arranged to meet with Bago, a licensed California notary in Fresno.

Dennis forged her mother's signature on the quit claim deed and Bago notarized it. After she became the owner of the home, she tried to evict several siblings, who immediately suspected her of forging the documents, police said.

The siblings called police and both Dennis and Bago were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit a crime, perjury and forgery. Dennis was also arrested on suspicion of identity theft, and Bago on suspicion of violating procedural notary laws.

Reply by hp/MD on 3/12/09 9:38pm
Msg #280530

Besides all her criminal activities which she deserves what punishment she gets, I can't believe she wanted to evict her own siblings. WHAT A JERK. I AM MAD.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/12/09 11:01pm
Msg #280542

I've heard it said that most of this kind of fraud actually happens between family members. That's one reason why it's so important to not ignore things like "Jr" or "Sr", etc. when IDing someone. But I agree -- it's hard for most of us to fathom that kind of behavior.

BTW, David, thanks for posting this. It's a great example of the consequences of not taking our role seriously.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/13/09 12:07am
Msg #280547

What an idiot of a notary...

And in California of all places, not to follow procedure for a DEED.

She deserves everything she gets. Oh, and Ms. Bago was also a licensed RE salesperson, too... which only makes it worse.

Reply by davidK/CA on 3/13/09 12:38am
Msg #280549

Re: What an idiot of a notary...

I guess this means that she will be available to do all the jail notarizations. :-)

Reply by John/CT on 3/13/09 9:32am
Msg #280570

Dishonest/incompetent notary public, not necessarily ...

a Notary Signing Agent (at least not listed in NSA directories). Whew ...

Reply by sue_pa on 3/13/09 9:50am
Msg #280575

My question would be was the notary "in on it", did a sloppy job, or was just incompetent?
My unknowing mind would say "in on it" is a much more serious charge than the other two.

I'd guess with conspiracy charges they were in on it but maybe the charge them both with everything and get the notary to then 'roll over' on the daughter.

Reply by Gary_CA on 3/13/09 11:39am
Msg #280596

I wonder if she got a thumb print? n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.