Notary Rotary
Mortgage best method
Notary Discussion History

Mortgage best method
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by ssdn on 3/5/09 7:06am
Msg #279556

Mortgage best method

I have a question, how would you handle this situation and why. You have a split signing the Borrower is signing in one state with you and the other co borrower is signing in the other state with another notary. Now, the mortgage certificate is preprinted with both names are in the particular or body of the certificate. You witness the signing of the borrower, but not the co borrower. So, do you draw a single line thur the co borrower name and initial next to the co borrower name. and proceed to notarize the document of the borrower you did witness. Or, you attach an acknowledgement to the mortgage, and at the bottom of the page print please see attachment. I would appreciate your response on the best way to handle this situation.

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/5/09 7:10am
Msg #279557

Cross out the co-b's name & initial.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 3/5/09 7:14am
Msg #279559

If I am the first notary I will use the pre-printed certificate and cross out the name of the borrower that is not appearing before me. I then initial my change.

My state of VA prefers that notaries do not use separate certificates (after being completely banned for one year, they are now allowed if the name of the person we are notarizing for appears in the notary cert), so I only use that if I'm the second notary or if my ack/jurat stamp will not fit onto the space left on the doc.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 3/5/09 7:23am
Msg #279561

I'd do the same, use the preprinted acknowledgement and cross out and initial person you are not witnessing. I don't think the mtg co or title company would want you to attach another ack.

Reply by Shoshana Roller on 3/5/09 7:26am
Msg #279562

In addition to what everyone else said, I also write the word only after the borrower's name. This insures that the next notary would not try to write the co-b's name after it was crossed out and initialed.

Reply by sue_pa on 3/5/09 7:33am
Msg #279564

If the notary ack block is correct for my state, I use the preprinted one. If the property is in another state and it's incorrect for PA, I make up my own and attach rather than doctor up the printed one.

Being second in line opens your eyes. I've seen several loan packages where it appears the first notary is attempting to 'help' me. Eye opening to be sure.

Reply by ssdn on 3/5/09 8:05am
Msg #279573

Thank you to whom responsed to my mortgage question . I do appreciate you guys,and all the helpful suggestions. Have a great day !!!

Reply by MW/VA on 3/5/09 8:43am
Msg #279582

Split signings are fairly common. All you need to do is make sure you are clearly only notarizing for the one party. If you're fortunate enough to be #1, you can use the certificate on the document (crossing out & initialling the other name, of course); otherwise, if you are #2 you will probably need to attach a separate ack.

Reply by ssdn on 3/5/09 10:45am
Msg #279614

Thank you also M.W. This is what I did I was wondering if this was the best method . I am please with the responses I received today.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.