Notary Rotary
NJ Notaries - Question - Blind Signer
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by MaggieMae_CA on 3/18/09 10:53am
Msg #281124

I know someone who works for a NJ developer. The CEO of the company and a few others entered into a contract with another individual and attempted to swindle the person. However, they were caught and I'm not sure if there are civil or legal charges against them.

The CEO is blind and had been in an accident and suffered a brain injury. He attempted to use his brain injury as his defense, but they (whoever they may be) are not buying it. Probably because he heads up a very large company. Now he's switching the blame on the notary.

Thus, my question is, in NJ what does a notary need to do when notarizing the signature of a blind person?

Reply by MW/VA on 3/18/09 12:03pm
Msg #281142

What's he trying to say--that he didn't know what he was signing?

Reply by trnsa_IL on 3/18/09 12:08pm
Msg #281146

I am not from NJ of course, but in IL you cannot not. a doc

that has not been read to the blind person. I am guessing he is going to say no one read it to him, or he did not know what it said.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 3/18/09 9:58pm
Msg #281290

Exactly! He wants to say he didn't know what he was signing and it was the notary's fault.

Reply by ME/NJ on 3/18/09 12:19pm
Msg #281153

one of the first questions a notary should ask

Do you understand what you are signing.. If they were blind the next question should of been has someone gone over the docs in detail with you.

Reply by A-1 Signing Agents, LLC on 3/18/09 3:07pm
Msg #281185

Re: one of the first questions a notary should ask

Sad that a family member wasn't present. At least the scum would have known a person with their best interest was there. JMO

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 3/18/09 10:02pm
Msg #281292

Re: one of the first questions a notary should ask

The blind man and his partners were trying to defraud another individual. He knew what he was signing and is now trying to say he is innocent and that the notary should have read it to him.

I don't know who the notary was and if he or she asked the blind individual if he knew what he was signing or offered to read it to him and he declined. Only a fly on the wall knows what transpired. Since the blind man's original defense was that he had a brain injury and that didn't fly, the neglectful notary is his next attempt to get out of the situation.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.