Notary Rotary
New experience to share
Notary Discussion History

New experience to share
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Rick Ary on 3/13/09 12:26pm
Msg #280599

New experience to share

Midwest Mortgage Services from Ballwin, Mo. called and ask me info about my business and decided to give me a signing in my area. They sent signing info and I confirmed with borrower. Since this was my first experience with them, I started my due diligence as usual. They told me they were the largest NSS in the Midwest, the guy was really a friendly smooth talker. I could not find anything on them on the notary sites plus their website is one page, one paragraph. So I e-mailed Midwest and told them I needed some validity of their business. They immediately replied and told me they had found another notary for the closing I had confirmed. I really made them mad trying to assure myself of getting paid. Now I know why as notaries started replyig to my post 28059. They have some problems it seems. Probably an NSS to be careful with.

Reply by Cynthia Lewis on 3/13/09 12:36pm
Msg #280601

I think you were wise to stay clear of them. It's not worth the hassle.

Reply by Richard King on 3/13/09 1:01pm
Msg #280604

I am sorry that this notary was upset with me having to move on. The request for references and "validity" was sent long after the acceptance of the email. I did send him two on letterhead and a copy of my one million dollar E and O insurance policy but could not wait for his approval and had to get another notary as we were busy. He also asked for and got a positive referral from a local notary without my involvement. I have asked him for letters of references. I still have not received them but he did email me to tell me he was going to burn me on this site.
While we have been in business for 8 years times have changed. This gentleman told me he had been burned often, but as a signing agent myself I take new business from strange companies everyday with the prospect of new business getting the benefit of the doubt.
Most vendors don;'t pay me quickly like in the old days, some run as late a four to five months. We used to pay everyone at the end of the week, long before we were paid. That is not possible anymore. But I accept full reponsiblity for all payments and work hard to get everyone paid as quick as possible. I am sorry he feels this way. I did tell him I would call him next time.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/13/09 1:16pm
Msg #280607

" We used to pay everyone at the end of the week, long before we were paid. That is not possible anymore. "

Why not??? If you are in business as a signing service you should have the capital to pay your notaries when they complete the signing! I see in a previous thread where a notary was told she would be paid in 4-6 weeks!

I don't get paid right away from the title companies, however I make sure my notaries get paid right away!!!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/13/09 1:18pm
Msg #280608

Another poster too - waiting since 12/08 - 90 days!! n/m

Reply by ericashaw on 3/13/09 2:04pm
Msg #280615

Rick has always been good to us

Rick has always paid us in the past and has always been very easy to work for. My only complaint is he is a little intimidating until you get to know him. We have worked for him for at least two years.
FYI all you folks who daily turn down business because they may not pay you by the end of the week, you are losing a ton of business. We have been down this road before, but once you have your steady income from this business, what does it matter if they pay in one month or two????? I see daily on this board companies that most of you have written off because they don't pay fast enough. Richmond Title comes to mind, they have paid me over $1500 this year alone(thats cash in hand). I don't know how you all stay in business.

Reply by Rick Ary on 3/13/09 2:14pm
Msg #280617

Re: Rick has always been good to us

NM I agree we should not turn down business if they do not pay quickly. But you must know whom you are dealing with and that is all I was trying to do on first contact.

Glad to get all sides of Midwest Mortgage Services good and bad. I was certainly not trying to burn them but provide info. And now there is information on Midwest.

Reply by Les_CO on 3/13/09 3:33pm
Msg #280625

I have no problem with a Signing Service that tells me IN FRONT that they just don’t have the capital to…. immediately / within a week / when the loan funds/ etc./… pay the notaries they hire. That they will pay when and if they get paid, and will guarantee that. I then can decide it I wish to gamble with my efforts, and maybe find a new a customer for my service, or not. I have done this in the past, usually (but not always!) with good results. But I agree with Sylvia I set a ‘credit’ limit, I only do one until I get paid.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/13/09 1:46pm
Msg #280612

Re: New experience to share- Rick

The problem I have with your post is that you obviously accepted the signing before checking the company out. Obviously you e-mailed them after accepting the signing and confirming with the borrower, which may have sent up a "red flag" to the company. They probably didn't have the time to wait for you to check them out more as they would have needed to have a valid confirmation from the notary to fill the order with the title company.

When I was able to do signings personally I always gave a new to me company a "credit limit" if I didn't find any info on them. I would only do a limited number of signings for them and note how they paid.

Reply by Rick Ary on 3/13/09 1:55pm
Msg #280614

Sylvia, I think you are right. I am sorry for this and have gained some valuable experience. My problem was that they said they were the largest NSS in the Midwest and I could not find anything about them on any of the Notary sites.

If I would have waited a little bit, I received a post from an NM that was very positive about Midwest Mortgage Services.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/13/09 2:16pm
Msg #280618

" I am sorry for this and have gained some valuable experience"

Maybe you should apologize to Richard King for your post.
It's OK to post negative remarks about a company when you have worked for them and have had problems getting paid, but the reason you posted is not a reason to be negative about a company.

As you say you have gained some valuable experience. We all learn something new every day.

Reply by Rick Ary on 3/13/09 2:30pm
Msg #280621

I was sharing an experience and providing info. on a company where there was none. Not being negative just what transpired. What I am sorry for is that he found another notary in seconds without giving me a chance after I confirmed with the borrower. I did nothing to be sorry about. I All I was trying to do was see whom I was dealing with. There was not any info on Midwest Mortgage Services. Now there is.

Hopefully this will help other NM's to make up their own mind about Midwest.

Perhaps I am giving him advertising which he has not had that I can find.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/13/09 2:33pm
Msg #280622

Why not add the company to Signing Central and link your

first post for future reference...

Reply by Linda Juenger on 3/13/09 3:32pm
Msg #280624

It has been my pleasure to work with Midwest Mortgage (Rick King) over the past several years. I have never, ever had a payment issue. Rick King is one of the most knowledgeable people I know in this business. He is always, always available and can answer any question that would arise. He is not one of those companies that just calls you to schedule and then clicks foward to send the docs, then is unreachable. He knows the background of every borrowers pkg and every doc in that pkg. He even calls the borrower and keeps them informed if there is an issue with late docs etc. He makes sure the notary is not blamed for late docs, late appt times etc. You won't find a more on top of it company than Midwest Mortgage, Rick King.
There are only a handful of signing companies that I work for anymore, but Midwest is at the top.

The perfect world would be if we got paid immediatley after closing or at least after funding, but that isn't happeneing with most companies, and title companies anymore. I'm not as concerned about the days, just as long as I get paid in a reasonable timeframe.

I don't know exactly what transpired between the 2 Ricks, but I do know this: Rick King is very busy and doesn't have time for us to make up our mind to take it or not. He's got to get the order filled and move on. In this case, there was no negative comments at all. Don't you think if they were a problem, someone on here would have surely jumped on the chance to post negative. You betcha someone would post a negative first before a positive. And asking for 3 references is a little much IMO. I give a new company a chance and don't get in too deep in the beginning to see how it works out for both of us. I try not to burn bridges either. They are too hard to mend.
My .02. Have a great day.

Reply by Letty Marquez on 3/13/09 4:23pm
Msg #280631

Rick,

I am glad you had learn a lesson with all this and like Sylvia said. Issue a credit limit and go from there. Also be careful next time because like Linda said "Once you burn bridges they are too hard to mend."

good luck!

Reply by MW/VA on 3/14/09 10:44am
Msg #280709

I agree with Sylvia on this one. Your negative experience was not with the company, but in your approach to the matter. There is risk involved in this business--no guarantees. We get really upset when they book with us & then shop for a cheaper notary. You accepted the assignment & IMO you should have completed it. The only way I'd cancel out on a signing I had accepted was if I knew for sure they were deadbeats. It's your business, and if you choose to shoot yourself in the foot, that's your choice.

Reply by Rick Ary on 3/13/09 8:51pm
Msg #280659

Thanks to all for their input. What I learned is that there are NSS whom are very proud, king of their empire and do not want any distractions from little ole notaries. I just do not want to work for them and vice versa. No big deal.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/14/09 12:42am
Msg #280674

Where you might have handled this differently, in my opinion, is to have made up your mind about taking the assignment before confirming with the borrower. When a borrower ends up getting calls from more than one notary, it ends up making everyone look bad. Like Linda, above, if I don't find anything negative right off the bat, I'll give a new company the benefit of the doubt at least once - but not too much too soon. My BS detector has let me down only a couple of times, but mostly with individuals who were pros at deception. Many times, however, I've ended up with a great new client. I also agree that asking for references is a bit over the top for the norm in our business, with as much competition as I'm sure there still is in most areas.

Having said all that, I agree that you have every right to make your choices about who to work for with whatever criteria you want.

Reply by Rich/PA on 3/14/09 1:03am
Msg #280675

I'm sorry. I disagree. I see nothing wrong with a business asking for references (Validity) from another business if needed. It is a common practice.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/14/09 7:56am
Msg #280683

I don't see anything wrong with a business asking for references either. But, when you accept a signing and confirm with the borrower, is not the time to ask for references. If you need references, then when the company calls you, ask them then for references so you can check them out before accepting a signing. Let them know that you need references, and as it takes a little time to get them, that until you checked their reputation you won't be able to accept this particular signing.
I would have no problem with a notary asking me for references before doing a signing for me. However I often don't have time to wait for the notary to check my references before I need to fill (firmly) the signing.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 3/14/09 9:36am
Msg #280695

Rick Ary I don't blame you for being careful. Our bills arrive every month and we must pay our bills in a timely manner (or else) We cannot afford to "wait" four to six months for people to pay us, not to mention the hassle and wasted time chasing them for our pay. JMO

Have a great weekend allSmile

Reply by Les_CO on 3/14/09 1:26pm
Msg #280739

Don’t ever forget that WE are extending CREDIT to the SS or Title Company that hires us. It is not only ‘reasonable’ but proper that we ask for references. Go into a bank, or any store and ask for $100… cash or credit. See if you’ll get it without giving your (real) name, address, phone number, ID, Tax ID, AND references….Then what are your chances??? Busy ‘signing agents’ in a 45 day period could easily have 5 /10 grand floating out there…to people they have never met, with no credit references, names (real) addresses (hard to ‘serve’ a web site) and who are mostly hundreds of miles away in another State. In addition this business is rife with deadbeats and thieves. Should we ask for references…….It’s your business you can do what you want.

Reply by Kimberly Schneider/ Mobile Notary on 3/17/09 10:39am
Msg #280950

Hello:
I'll jump in with my experience with Rick King. He called me Friday and asked me to do a signing on Monday. I've never worked for him and asked him what he would pay : knowing what my fee's are: He said "as little as possible" I guess he thought it was funny, He said the fee was low because of the lender and if I accept this amount he will give me more money next time. My next questions what when can I expect to get paid, he said 4-6 weeks. I did a search on this site and read only a few negitive reports of not being paid. I made the decission not to except the assignment and called he right away. He was very upset at the negitive reports. I told him he should try to resolve the matter directly. I turned down the job for 3 reason's, price, pay time, references. What I don't understand is that the Signing company is on the HUD, so we can see their fees. Also disburments happens in 3 day's and everyone on the HUD should be mailed their check from the escrow. Underwritters audit these accounts, I believe every 6 months. The money can't stay with the Title company. This is in Maryland. So what Signing companies are not getting paid? Any thoughts!

Reply by Richard King on 8/19/09 1:31pm
Msg #300854

My company, Midwest Mortgage Services LLC,pays everyone the same day the file disperses and we get paid. This happens on the disbursement day, usually the fourth business day after the signing.
That means my notaries get their checks in about two weeks, sometimes less. This policy was started about April and my notaries love it. I have no plans to change it.
I treat all notaries the way I liked to be treated and always go out of my way to get docs to them early, if possible. Sometimes my humor is not received well. I am sorry about that. I sit alone in my office working and talking on the phone all day and try to be friendly and funny and keep business fun. After all I am a signing agent too.
Rick King

Reply by Cari on 10/3/09 4:57am
Msg #306005

Midwest Mortgage Services...

This is a two-folded response to your post:

"Since this was my first experience with them, I started my due diligence as usual..."

1) Why didn't you do this, BEFORE you accepted the closing....nevertheless, you accepted, and since you did.....

2) and also confirmed with the BO, Midwest was obligated to hold up their end of your agreement, despite your insistance on references.

I believe Midwest was wrong - to bail out on you after the closing confirmation. And although, I'm not an attorney, nor is this legal advice in any way shape or form, to some extent, it appears that Midwest breached your contract and MAY be held liable to some extent if you wanted to pursue legal action.

Just my .02 cents...

Reply by madhatter on 4/16/13 9:34am
Msg #465882

Rick King is a smooth talker and doesn't pay. I don't like begging for my $$$. Did a closing in January and supposedly the check is in the mail AFTER I sent 4 emails and numerous phone calls. He is very smooth and baited me by asking if I would be interested in more closings in the area. First off, I want to get paid for the closing in January. When we talked on the phone, he told me he would look into it. #2, he was on holiday and would look into it when he returned. #3, it was his birthday and he would look into it later. Promised payment on 4/11/13 and still nothing.

After all these postings (warnings), and you still want to work for him, beware!!! Not worth the hassle.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.