Notary Rotary
Notarizing a Birth Certificate
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Deeanna Yates on 3/7/09 10:27am
Msg #279966

Hi I am fairly new as a Notary and was wondering if anyone has ever notarized a birth certificate? I was asked to notarize a birth certificate and the client had his license stolen so has to creditable witnesses. Also if I can notarize a document of this nature would I only charge for the clients signature or that of the witnesses as well. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Reply by Patricia/VT on 3/7/09 10:32am
Msg #279967

My CA commission expired a few years ago when I moved to VT, but I don't think you can notarize a birth certificate. Check your CA notary law book. Hopefully some CA notaries will respond to your query.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/7/09 10:38am
Msg #279969

Page 16 of your handbook:

"Certified copies of birth, fetal death, death, and marriage records may be made only by the
State Registrar, by duly appointed and acting local registrars during their term of office, and
by county recorders. (Health & Safety Code section 103545)"

www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/handbook.pdf

Reply by Deeanna Yates on 3/7/09 11:38am
Msg #279974

Thanks for your help. I will contact the client.

Reply by Gary_CA on 3/7/09 11:39am
Msg #279975

Are you crazy?

First off we don't notarize birth certificates, though you will sometimes notarize a form that the parents use to get the birth certificate. As previously posted that's in your handbook and should have been in your class too.

But let me get this straight... you've got a guy with no ID that you don't know from Adam who's going to bring a couple buds and you're going to notarize something that gives him an identity???

Think about that for a minute.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/7/09 1:38pm
Msg #279977

No way.... but...

No, you cannot notarize a birth certificate. That's basic and it's in our handbook. Keep reading it.

You CAN notarize an application for a birth certificate... but you cannot notarize the actual vital record. That's what the county clerk is for.

Reply by Joe_PA on 3/9/09 10:20am
Msg #280066

Nothing to notarize

In PA the birth certificate come from the state with an embrossed seal. It is clearlly printed that copies are not to eb made.
When you notarize you are notarizing a signature nowhere on the birth cerificate is their a signature except from the state

Besides being illegal to copy what woudl you be notarizing?

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/7/09 1:40pm
Msg #279978

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

A birth certificate, death certificate and marriage license are VITAL RECORDS and CANNOT be notarized. If the client needs copies, he must order them. Give him this link http://www.vitalchek.com/express-birth-certificates.aspx

As a matter of fact, write down that link, save it and give it to anyone asking you to notarize a birth certificate.

The client's signature on the application needs to be notarized and that you can do with the two credible witnesses, who each must have a valid, current ID. But you cannot notarize the actual vital record as it is NOT an original....it is a certified COPY. To answer your 2nd question - you only charge for signatures you notarize - the credible witnesses are just walking ID's and though they sign your journal, you are not notarizing their signatures.

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/7/09 7:34pm
Msg #280000

Just found out something

What I wrote earlier applies to vital records from the U.S. and the CA handbook is clear about vital records. The rules for foreign birth certificates may be different as I've found out that other country's citizen get their original birth certificate and their country's consulate accepts photocopies.

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivbirthcertificates.html

The Copy Certification by Document Custodian may possibly be used for FOREIGN birth certificates that are originals where their country's consulate accepts notarized photocopies.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 3/8/09 4:57pm
Msg #280031

Re: Just found out something

"The Copy Certification by Document Custodian may possibly be used for FOREIGN birth certificates that are originals where their country's consulate accepts notarized photocopies."

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what the foreign country accepts shouldn't matter -- you can only do what your state law allows, no?

Reply by LynnNC on 3/7/09 1:43pm
Msg #279979

You don't notarize documents, you notarize signatures of persons acknowledging certain things or them taking an oath or affirmation.

Reply by SharonMN on 3/9/09 7:24pm
Msg #280123

In some states (like MN), there is a notarial act of certifying that a copy is a true and complete copy of an original. This can be handy for things like a handwritten bill of sale. I wouldn't do this for any primary identification document, though - they can get a copy from the agency that issued it.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 3/7/09 4:03pm
Msg #279988

Maryland you can't notarize a copy

Reply by rengel/CA on 3/8/09 10:32am
Msg #280022

Please do yourself a huge favor and re-read your California notary Handbook- at least 5 times. It will make your life as a notary much easier. We need to know our notary laws backward and forward, up and down and sideways!
Yes, there are times that something comes up that we have not encountered before, but the topic of birth certificates has come up in every notary class I have attended. That is basic notary law.

My .02

Reply by Lyle Hebard on 3/9/09 2:05pm
Msg #280092

Hi,
It depends on your state. I can't do it in NJ but check CA's laws and see what you can find out. Good luck.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.