Notary Rotary
Okay, 'fess up
Notary Discussion History

Okay, 'fess up
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Gary_CA on 3/9/09 5:05am
Msg #280049

Okay, 'fess up

So I did a signing Thurs, RM got it done early enough to get the docs out, had a shipping label with me all ready to go, I was so proud.

Friday about 10:30 the TC pops up on my caller ID...

"Gary, none of the docs you sent us are signed. There's 2 signed RTC's but everything else is blank."

No... I didn't.

Yep... I sure did.

So my Sat morning was back to the BO, take "their" set (of signed and stamped docs) over to Kinko's, make them a copy (on my dime of course), send the originals to TC (on my dime of course) and back to the BO.

Somebody please, somebody with 5 years doing this, tell me they've done this one...

If I'm the only one I might have to commit hari-kari.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/9/09 5:18am
Msg #280050

Re: Okay, 'fess up....not in this lifetime...

But in my prior life in CT...

1. Sent borrowers home with original signed package - thankfully I caught it when I got back to my desk - called borrower and Mrs. came back to office and we swapped packages.....<<red in the face time>>..

2. Had several closings and disbursements the day leaving for vacation - sent two payoffs out - Bank A, Bank B - swapped checks...sent Vank A check to Bank B and vice versa...I was a couple thousand miles away when that one was discovered!!!

Feel better now??...<G>

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/9/09 5:20am
Msg #280051

Woops..."Vank" - "Bank".... n/m

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 3/9/09 7:23am
Msg #280052

There's a feeling, eh Gary?! I've never done that, but live in FEAR that I will! My whole life is an orchestration of stop-gaps based on such fears, honest-to-Pete. I put borrower's copies inside an envelope so I won't be likely to swap. If I'm collecting funds at the table, I clip a #10 envelope with "FUNDS" written on it - so title will find check, but more so I WON'T forget! My biggest fear is that I'll completely forget about a closing - never have, but OH the feeling!

I do these preventative things because I have run downstairs with the dog's dish and filled it ... with sugar. Conversely, I have filled the sugar bowl with kibble. I have made hard-boiled eggs, and scraped them off the ceiling (they explode, by the way). I have had to turn around and go home for shoes.

Take heart, though - I have a theory (which I seem to continually 'prove'): the smarter you are, the dumber the mistakes!

When I worked for a lender, I was responsible (?) for approving daily wires, about 80 a day.

I only forgot once. Might be why I live in so much fear ... =O

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 3/9/09 10:31pm
Msg #280131

For 7 years

I have handed the borrower(s) their copies 100% of the time when I sit down to begin the loan signing.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/9/09 7:43am
Msg #280053

Thanks for reminding us we're all human, Gary. With the sense of so much responsibility on us, and the hectic pace, things like this are bound to happen. I like Renee's examples of the things we can get mixed up. As they say, s#@t happens.

Reply by sue_pa on 3/9/09 7:55am
Msg #280057

Sorry - never.

I've read how some people show the borrowers their copy, how they lay it out on the table, etc., to reassure them they have a copy of everything they sign. Not me - they don't see it until the signed copy is put away and I'm standing up to leave.

Reply by JulieD/KS on 3/9/09 8:30am
Msg #280058

Nope, I never have and I don't worry that I will, either. Why? Because when I get the borrowers' set printed, I put a Cover Page on it that's printed on Orange Paper. On that cover page it says in huge letters "BORROWER COPY" and then it has my name and contact info.

I have a huge stapler that I use for big tax returns. After putting the RTCs on top (right under the cover sheet) I then staple the whole mess together and paperclip my business card to the cover sheet.

There ain't no way I'd mistake the borrower copy for the originals. I always go through the package at least 2 more times prior to dropping it in the FedEx box - - either while sitting in my car (if time is short) or at my desk (if the package is going out the next day) to make sure I didn't miss anything before dropping that package off.

If I make a mistake, I want to be the one who catches it. I want a reputation of never making a mistake.

Reply by Joan_OH on 3/9/09 9:40am
Msg #280061

Been there, done that, learned my leason the hard way!

I have a habit of paper clipping the title, HUD, and junk docs together and putting them on top before the binder clip goes on the whole thing. At the box, while I was double checking my work, I had the signed junk docs, but blank lender docs - on a purchase no less!!! YIKES!!! I knew the buyer was on her way to work at the largest hospital in Cleveland and knew I would never get HR to find her for me, so I called the switch board and lied - told them it was an emergency. And when they asked - yes I was a "family member" In the end, thank goodness, she had the docs in her car and went out on break to get them for me to pick up. I am very lucky that I have a 10pm Airport drop box. No one ever knew I screwed up that bad.

I think we all do a stupid thing once - then we take steps to NEVER let it happen again (like dropping UPS in a FedEx box). If we don't take those steps......

Joan-OH

Reply by Alice/MD on 3/9/09 11:13am
Msg #280070

Re: Been there, done that, learned my lesson the hard way!

Drove 36 miles to borrower's home. Went in my case to get the docs out to start the signing and they weren't there.

Had to drive back to get docs and back for the signing.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/9/09 12:39pm
Msg #280084

I did that once too...felt so stupid explaining to Mr & Mrs that I left them at home. Why is it that the further away one goes, the more you are likely to do something like this? There is a Murphy with a Law, he got me on that one.

Reply by Keys_Notary on 3/9/09 10:42pm
Msg #280132

Oh the sinking feeling when you open your briefcase and the docs aren't there!
Been there,
Done that, too!

Reply by Alice/MD on 3/9/09 11:13am
Msg #280071

Drove 36 miles to borrower's home. Went in my case to get the docs out to start the signing and they weren't there.

Had to drive back to get docs and back for the signing.

Reply by Cari on 3/9/09 11:14am
Msg #280072

Gary...kudos to you for fessing up....

I too strive to 'never' make a mistake, but never say never.... I screwed up a RM, and then to be absolutely sure I didn't make the same mistake twice with this particular SS that gave me the gig, when I got another RM from them, I tripled check everything before I sent it back...turned out I did the same mistake twice! UGH...so much for 'never' making a mistake more than once!

Reply by John_NorCal on 3/9/09 12:32pm
Msg #280083

I sure am glad......

people 'fessed up Gary. I sure wouldn't want you to commit hari-kari :-}

Reply by LisaWI on 3/9/09 2:25pm
Msg #280095

Re: No, I havent had the pleasure........

but this is extremely amusing Smile Im crackin' up laughin' This should go into, "The Stupist Things Ive Done as a NSA" Book. Im sure there are more stories out there like this one. The other day I was at a closing and filling out an acknowledgement when I started chuckling to myself. The borrowers just kind of looked at me puzzled and I said, "this has to be one of the silliest things Ive ever done in this biz" and they said "what?" I said, "I just mispelled my own last name" Smile
Glad everything worked out ok for you Dave and thanx for the laugh.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/9/09 5:36pm
Msg #280110

Just as bad? Jammin' day, everything happening at

once kind of day; Murphy was busy busy busy.

XXX docs in UPS envelope to ZZZ, and likewise, ZZZ docs in FedEx envelope to XXX.

Both picked up.

BIG OH SH*T YELL when I checked the confirms.

Frantic calls to FedEx and UPS, both still in the county.

Met both at south end of town, fixfixfix.

Before leaving the house, raided Dad's super secret candybar stash and showered both drivers with yummies.

By the hair on my chinny chin chin did I not have to commit hari kari.

Doh!

Reply by Ronda Roaring on 3/10/09 9:08am
Msg #280149

I don't see how that could happen, the way I work. I put the borrowers' docs in a long manila envelope and the lenders docs in a legal carrying folder. I'd have to take the borrowers' docs out of the envelope and put them in the folder. No, I don't see how that could happen. In addition, I take everything back to my office and go through everything at least once more for a total of three times. In 5.5 years I've missed only 2 stamps. I also missed 1 document (it was stapled to an information sheet), but caught it before I sent the packet back.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.