Notary Rotary
Override Toner Life End on Brother MFC 7440
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by parkerc/ME on 3/6/09 6:55pm
Msg #279875

Does anyone have a nifty trick to override the "toner life end - replace cartridge" message on this printer? I was still getting good quality copies and can't believe it's gone on strike and refuses to print any more copies until I replace it! Grrrrr!

Reply by Cheryl Anderson on 3/6/09 7:30pm
Msg #279877

The Brother MFC's are great at using up all of the toner. When the printer states that toner is low...get your back up ASAP. Once it states Toner Life End...that is it...it means business. No amount of shaking and pleading will extend it..toner is gone. I have the Brother MFC 8460 and a portable Brother HQ 1200. NOW...when my MFC 8460 stated that my DRUM UNIT was low...I was still able to print out 12 more packages...and may have been able to go longer...but I got "skeered" and replaced it. Good luck to you!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/6/09 7:36pm
Msg #279878

Cheryl's right -

I have the Brother 8460 too - same thing - toner low, no go...Smile

Reply by parkerc/ME on 3/6/09 9:22pm
Msg #279903

Thanks, all. I just remember back when I was "employed" using our work HP laser and being able to shake it to squeeze out that very last copy. Times have changed. Of course, it would choose that very last page of the BO's copy of docs to decide it was done. . . didn't have time to deal with it except cuss . . and printed that last BO page out on my inkjet. Ah, well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thanks!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/6/09 10:03pm
Msg #279914

yep yep...

I have a HP2200 too - it starts to run out you shake the heck out of the toner cartridge and carry on with no problem - hopefully long enough to finish the job...

Sorry to say not so with the Brothers...

Reply by brass/LA on 3/6/09 10:14pm
Msg #279917

Here's a trick that works on the Brother 7420 and 2140. It might work on the 7440. Pull out the drum/toner unit and look on both ends. There will be a hole on each side. This is where a laser light shines through the toner cartridge from one end through the other. If the toner is full the light can't pass through. When the toner gets low the light passes through to the other side and this generates a "low toner" or "end of life" message.

If you take two pieces of black electrical tape and cover each of the holes then you have tricked the printer into thinking that the toner is still full. I have printed hundreds of copies after the "low toner/end of toner life" message.

You will know when the toner is really out when your pages come out with a grey tinge to them. At this point either refill or replace.

Hope this helps.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/6/09 10:19pm
Msg #279921

Nice trick!!...:) n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 3/7/09 9:10am
Msg #279954

Thanks for the great tip.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/7/09 9:20am
Msg #279959

super tip! TY.

I hate that there is toner I am shaking out to put new in. Goes against my "Waste not, want not" motto.

Reply by TonyV on 3/8/09 12:02pm
Msg #280025

THANK YOU Re: Override Toner Life End on Brother MFC 7440

I have a 7420 and this trick will come in handy. Thanks!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.