Notary Rotary
Portable Printer Sale: Brother HL-2140 @ $59.99
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 3/2/09 7:09pm
Msg #279259

From Office Depot, price good through the 7th.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=674670

This is a very good option as a portable laser printer... and it handles legal paper. I have this printer and I like it well enough. It is NOT my primary printer nor would I suggest it be yours, either... but it holds it own. It only has 8MB of memory, though...that's probably the biggest downside. That and toner/drum prices tend to be a bit higher. It's nice and small, which makes it perfect for portability.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/2/09 7:11pm
Msg #279260

Also, Amazon dropped their price on this, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2140-Personal-Laser-Printer/dp/B0010Z1W06

Reply by Michelle/AL on 3/2/09 7:15pm
Msg #279261

Thanks for posting this, Marian.

My current portable printer is not a laserjet so I can't use it for those last-minute-at-the-table document emergencies. I think this would work just fine. It's a great price.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 3/2/09 8:42pm
Msg #279267

OK, I admit I can be a little slow at times, so talk to me

as if I'm a three year old. I'm going to buy this printer on Amazon.com. I know it doesn't come with a toner cartridge and USB. I need to order that separately, right? But I'm not clear about what LKT and the other person had to say about ordering toner/cartridge. I want the easy option.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/2/09 9:27pm
Msg #279269

Re: OK, I admit I can be a little slow at times, so talk to me

A new printer does come with a toner cartridge... but it's a "starter" cartridge with less toner in it.

You may need to buy a USB cable, though. Those generally do not come with the printer because everyone has a different setup. Some people only need a few feet, others need much more... some use fancier setups.

Here's a 15ft USB cable that would work:

http://www.amazon.com/Startech-Premium-Speed-Certified-Device/dp/B000067SPO/ref=acc_glance_ce_ai_1043_2_tit

The length you need will depend on your overall setup.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 3/3/09 1:05pm
Msg #279345

Thank you, Marian. I got it (finally)! n/m

Reply by ilnotary53 on 3/2/09 8:10pm
Msg #279264

I also have this printer and use it constantly. You can save on toner costs by ordering refills on e-bay. If you are using the starter cartridge though, make sure you order the re-set gears. They are very easy to install and you must have them to refill the starter cartridge. I paid $4.00 for the gears and $10.00 each for the refill kits.

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/2/09 8:34pm
Msg #279266

I have this printer in addition to my color laser multifunction machine. I don't refill toner and found the best price at www.provantage.com for a geniune Brother replacment. I thought amazon had a better deal until I read some of the customer comments that stated they ordered what they thought was a geniune Brother toner cartridge, only to receive a compatible or a knock-off. I emailed amazon about this and their site says they typically respond to customer inquiries within 12 hours.....it's been several days since I inquired. The site gives the impression you're ordering and receiving the name brand item, not a compatible. I cannot get past some of the customer comments.

The high yield replacement toner is $64.99 at the office supply stores and $40.40 plus shipping at provantage.com. All of their brand name items are a better deal.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/3/09 6:47am
Msg #279276

toner kits refill for 7.99

http://www.tonerkits.com/hl2040-2a.html

Reply by Jim Partridge on 3/3/09 12:51pm
Msg #279339

But can it print on LEGAL size paper?

I can't find anything that says it can but then it doesn't say much of anything. I guess if it did, it would probably say so. Anyone know for sure?

Reply by Michelle/AL on 3/3/09 1:07pm
Msg #279346

Jim, Marian's first post says that it does handle legal.

That's key for me too.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.