Notary Rotary
Printer help
Notary Discussion History

Printer help
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Linda Juenger on 3/23/09 4:02pm
Msg #281836

Printer help

I have had an HP 4100n printer for almost 4 years. It was starting to get light on the left side of the paper. So, last Thursday I bought 2 refurbished 4100n's at the place where I bought the first one. I got quite a deal. $45 each, both dual tray. However, they will not print legal size. I keep getting an error message that says Tray 3 open. I have called them and they are telling me that it must be a bad sensor. I would accept this except that I get the same error message on both printers. I doubt very seriously that the sensor is the problem. Something isn't configured right. The settings on my computer are correct. I called a SS in my area who I know uses these printers and has bought many of them and my settings are correct. He can't figure out why I am getting that message though. Does anyone have this printer that could maybe help me out. Thanks

Reply by Mia on 3/23/09 4:13pm
Msg #281840

I did a search & came up with this website :
http://www.fixya.com/Search.aspx?cstm=0&_s=HP+4100n+Printer

Reply by RickG/CA on 3/23/09 5:14pm
Msg #281852

I would set the printers on your old tray 3 (assuming old printer had tray 3) to see if it pulls from that tray. If not, bring back to shop. Not worth the extra time and frustration to troubleshoot. If you just bought them, you should have a non-DOA guarantee.

Reply by enotary/va on 3/23/09 6:46pm
Msg #281871

Try using the trays from the one you have had for 4 years in the new ones you just got. See if that is a fix????

Reply by Joan_OH on 3/23/09 10:01pm
Msg #281908

Check the tray itself

The bottom tray has a little blue slidey thing on the right hand side. You need to push that all the way forward for it to recognize legal. Not sure if you have the same problem, but I messed with my printer settings for DAYS before I saw this little slidey thing.

Joan-OH

Reply by Linda Juenger on 3/23/09 10:56pm
Msg #281917

Thanks for the replies. I finally had to give up and print

all legal. I have no idea what the problem is but I am too busy right now to figure it out. I am swamped on Tu. Hopefully Wed am I can take them both back and have them looked at. I've tried everything I can possibly think of and that includes blaming my husband. lol It's always the man's fault, right???

The money I saved buying these printers cost me in auto repairs. A huge rock came off a truck and hit my windshield. Now I have a nice spider. Maybe next week when it slows a little I can get that fixed.

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/24/09 1:00am
Msg #281924

Re: Thanks for the replies. I finally had to give up and print

<<<I've tried everything I can possibly think of and that includes blaming my husband. lol It's always the man's fault, right??? >>>

Either one of three did it....the butler, the maid or the husband. Since I don't have the first two, hubby gets the blame! ;-0

Reply by sue_pa on 3/24/09 8:21am
Msg #281936

I'm no help but my 4100 did the same thing. I forget what the actual problem was but it was some type kit needed. It was (just guessing) $100+ just for the kit. Because the *&*$&( cat had already broken the one door and broken a sensor I decided not to put the $$$ into it. When I called the printer repair guy, he knew exactly what was wrong without even coming out ... my problem was I couldn't wait for the part to be ordered so I had to purchase a new printer that day .. bought a ()&*_! HP 2015 and HATE the cheap little thing.

Reply by Jcobb on 3/24/09 12:57pm
Msg #281965

Re: Printer DEALS

So may printers, how to choose. Personally I have a HP 2430DTN that I love. Fast! reliable.
Who do you trust? For people looking for a used/new/ or refurbished printer, these folks are just terrific...knowlegeable, good trouble shooters.
PERFECT PAGES
1-714-538-6986
Ask for Rene'
I learned so much about the different printers and about refurbished ones. Printers you can buy at a fraction on the new price completely gone through. (not like some companies claiming to do so.) Anyway, they've helped me, hope they can help someone in our forum too.
(I am not from the co, or have anything to do with it, just have have marvelous customer service!) J-

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.