Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Scanned docs: Yet one more thing to worry about.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Ernest__CT on 3/30/09 12:46am
Msg #282628

A few days ago I received edocs for a loan signing. At a quick glance they looked fine. I have a firm habit of looking at _each page_ as the doc is printing. In the PDF file that had both letter and legal docs, I found that legal-size docs had been scanned as letter size! A panic call to Title brought a "Good catch!"

IMHO, we should not be proofreaders or the final quality control checkers for documents. Reality is that we are. We also may be the people who care the most about the docs being right (other than the borrowers, that is).

Reply by LindaD/NJ on 3/30/09 7:02am
Msg #282631

Morning. I had this happen to me. I called title to alert. 3 times they sent the same file the same way! Could not explain to them any more clearer on the problem. Finally, they got it right. But in the mean time they figured I was just someone new to the bus and didn't know how to print legal docs!

Reply by PAW on 3/30/09 7:53am
Msg #282632

I too have had this problem. It's usually someone new at the title company not knowing how to operate the scanner. In one case, they rescanned all the docs to A4 paper size. (A4 is the normal page size for European and Asian countries. Measures 8.27 x 11.69 inches.)

After the third try, someone else scanned the docs, all to legal size. (At least that's better than all to letter size.)

For those who are curious, you can see all the different paper sizes at: http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/office/paper.htm

Reply by CF on 3/30/09 9:43am
Msg #282640

Are you people serious???? Wow- I work for a profit- not to make sure that everyone else has done their job right! I operate my business by receiving a doc package, printing it, getting it signed/notarized, and shipping it back. I have never checked the size of a document while printing and I could care less what size page is was scanned for....as long as it is not cut off....but I print on all legal....so I really do not have anything to worry about! This is just another insane time waster- in my opinion.

Reply by Vince/KS on 3/30/09 9:53am
Msg #282643

Not an insane time waster so much

as caring about doing a decent job. Most of the TC's seem to appreciate wanting to have the documents printed as they were originally prepared (assuming they were originally correct).

Whenever there is time to do so, I quickly review the documents before printing them. I would guess that there are errors, even from the best companies, about 5% of the time.

Reply by CF on 3/30/09 10:08am
Msg #282649

Re: Not an insane time waster so much

If that is the case then they should do thier job properly....it is not my business to babysit and make calls and question everything. Now lets open up the gates about how I do not get repeat business, I do not give good customer service and that I am just and all around bad business person. I print what I get.....I am only as good as the person handling the order before me and I am fine with that!

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/30/09 10:54am
Msg #282651

I have a completely different attitude: Your borrowers are

my neighbors.

Last week, I caught a HUD that was for the buyers, not the sellers (my signing.) Took two shakes for Title to get me the correct HUD, and serve my neighbors. A while back on another deal, noticed the docs looked ~really~ bad - don't know what the problem was, but Title re-scanned -or whatever they did- and avoided any problems the original docs might have caused.

As the last line of defense toward a successful outcome, it only makes sense to me to go the extra inch, or mile, as the case may be, to help insure a smooth signing and favorable end.

For me, it's all about communication and service, not blame.

Reply by PAW on 3/30/09 9:57am
Msg #282644

>>> I could care less what size page is was scanned for....as long as it is not cut off....but I print on all legal....so I really do not have anything to worry about! <<<

If the documents are scanned as images, all to letter size, then it makes no difference what size paper you print it on. If you print a letter sized image, say of the HUD, on legal size paper, it will still print it letter size, leaving a wide margin at the bottom of the page.

>>> This is just another insane time waster- in my opinion. <<<

It's all about customer service. Title companies, lenders and even signing services, are our customers. Granted, we're not the paper police, but providing excellent customer service is what stands out. Besides, it only takes a few seconds to see if the document size is correct. For example, the HUD is typically printed on legal size. And, for some counties, the Mortgage must be printed on letter size.

Reply by LynnNC on 3/30/09 10:01am
Msg #282646

PAW - I am curious

Do you use a dual tray printer...if so, which one? I print all on legal now, but, want to get a dual tray printer.

Reply by PAW on 3/30/09 10:03am
Msg #282648

HP LaserJet 1300 w/Dual Tray n/m

Reply by LynnNC on 3/30/09 10:27am
Msg #282650

I bought an HP4250n a year ago...

...with a second tray and have never taken it out of the box. It is too big and I plan to sell it.

I want to get a printer that is fast and efficient, but, smaller. The HP P2015D mentioned on 3/29 is smaller, but I would prefer one that is faster than it's speed of 26 pages/min.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/30/09 10:00am
Msg #282645

I'll always check the package - I'd rather check it ahead of time than get to the table and end up wth "whoops, what happened here" - package can be checked while borrower's copy is printing....that's also why I request docs 2 hours in advance (keeping in mind most travel for me is minimum 35-40 minutes) - I have time to catch and fix printing errors or get mistakes corrected before we get to the table....MHO

Reply by LisaWI on 3/30/09 11:50am
Msg #282657

Time Waster? Is it a time waster to ackowledge the kind of business we are in and that it will contain a mistake made here and there by comps we work for? Therefore communicating to the comp of their mistake so that they might fix it? I would call this time waster, job security for that particular company. In addition I would call that profit, because this particular comp will probably call me again because I took the time to help with the problem in addition to fixing it the first time. Rest assured, these time wasters as you describe them have been profit for me. They are no less human than we are and probably will make mistakes. Im in this to work together for a better result for everyone involved and if I take the time to do that, they acknowledge this.

I had a manager one time who's philosphy was "You cant fix it, if you dont know what the problem is" I would lay money on it, that if a comp didnt realize that there was a mistake or mishap, they would be happy someone brought it to their attention.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 3/30/09 11:08am
Msg #282653

I always skim the docs checking for things like names, page size, missing docs etc. It's not hard and when you tend to catch things that others don't, it just moves your name up on the call list .....

Reply by davidK/CA on 3/30/09 11:55am
Msg #282659

Why you must review the docs...

Not practicing UPL but recently I received a set of docs where the property was held in trust but the loan was to be in the individuals names so there were two Grant Deeds (GD) to transfer title out of the trust to the individuals then another GD to put the property back into the trust.

This is fairly standard procedure in CA. I have seen many of these transactions before. But the title company prepared the signature lines on the "out of trust" wrong, not including the word "Trustee" since that was who was making the Grant of Title. After calling the SS, I was then sent another GD, but instead of correcting the "out" GD the title company added "Trustee" to the "back in" GD. It took several phone calls to try and fix it but title refused to correct the very obvious mistake. I was instructed to have the GD signed as indicated on the signature line even though it was clearly wrong. The end result will surely be a "do-over" for another signing fee for me since the County Recorder will reject the GD. More money for me. All because I looked at the documents.

In addition, the Settlement Statement was scanned by title beyond the printing borders which meant that I had to reprint them using the "shrink to fit" function. Had I not caught that error the borrowers would have refused to sign since the amounts were cut off on the right side and the beginning of the words were cut off on the left side.

It appears to me that quality control has been transfered to the NSA, like it or not.

Reply by LynnNC on 3/30/09 2:47pm
Msg #282691

I always look through the docs...

...because I pull certain docs to put them in order in the Borrower's copy. Just last week I found two pages that had gone through the scanner at the same time...one half page was one document and the other half the other document. The second document required a notarization and had I not found it, I would have had to make a second trip. While it would not have been a mistake on my part, the TC was very appreciative that I found the problem.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.