Notary Rotary
Should be crazy next week for some of us
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by ME/NJ on 3/20/09 10:08am
Msg #281463

I hope.. I already talked with 3 TCs and each one is swamped with work for next week. I hope some of it falls in my area. 3 lined up for today, nothing for next week yet.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 3/20/09 10:19am
Msg #281467

Eight today. Ten so far for Sat thru Wed. Keep 'em coming. n/m

Reply by Todd/OH on 3/20/09 11:23am
Msg #281472

Hmm - pretty quiet here. n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/20/09 11:45am
Msg #281473

Bob, your type of schedule (although enviable) is simply a

physical impossibility for me in my neck of the woods....no way could I do 8 in one day....my max is 3 due to the distances I have to travel for any one signing, and that's if I have docs yesterday....did four in one day once about a year ago and said "never again"....

Good for you though....

Reply by Jessc098 on 3/20/09 11:51am
Msg #281476

Arrrrgh!!

I'm thinking hey--where's my business? So I looked at my phone to see when it last rang. I turned off the ringer yesterday in my AM appointment and it was still off. AAARGH. Missed a bunch of calls.

Ugh.... color me stupid.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/20/09 1:04pm
Msg #281487

Re: Arrrrgh!!

You turn off the ringer during signings? You'd rather lose business and money than excuse yourself to take a 1 minute business call? Utterly foolish.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/20/09 1:13pm
Msg #281489

I used to turn my phone off during signings too

until I saw how many of my signers had no problem keeping me at the table so they could answer THEIR phones...now my phone stays on and a simple "excuse me" for when it rings.

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 3/20/09 2:19pm
Msg #281494

Never had borrowers object to my taking a business call

I politely say "Do you mind? It may be about your loan", and they always want me to take the call. Then when it is not, I explain I'm in a closing and quickly get the date, time, place and fee, and confirm I'll take it or turn the assignment down, adding that I'll check my email for the assignment when I return home. Takes 1 minute or less. I turn to borrowers and say "Sorry, if I don't take the call, they just move on to the next notary, and I lose the work." Borrowers always understand and say it was no problem. And I immediately and smoothly turn back to their closing.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 3/20/09 5:58pm
Msg #281517

I changed also,

I use to turn off ringer also, but after much thought and reading of the discussion on the board, I began leaving on vibrate. It really doesn't ring that often during a signing, and when I have answered it the BO doesn't mind. I can determine in 10 seconds if I need to continue the conversation or not and most of the time not, but now and then it's more work. Caller ID is a usefull tool as to whether I need to answer or not.

Reply by doglover/CA on 3/21/09 12:46am
Msg #281573

Re: I used to turn my phone off during signings too

I need to keep my phone on when doing a signing for ND. They call to check up on your progress so that they can put your signing as "completed" in the system when you tell them you are done.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/21/09 8:47am
Msg #281591

Re: I used to turn my phone off during signings too

"I need to keep my phone on when doing a signing for ND. They call to check up on your progress so that they can put your signing as "completed" in the system when you tell them you are done"

Glad I don't work for them - that kind of micromanagement would set me crazy!! You want me to get the job done, leave me alone....I'll let you know if I run into any problem and I'll give you a quick call when I'm done...

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/21/09 1:32pm
Msg #281612

Same here

It would take exactly 1 signing for me to realize that is a company that I wouldn't do a second signing for.

"I need to keep my phone on when doing a signing for ND."

Does that mean you turn your phone off during other signings? The thought of someone keeping their phone on so they can be micromanaged, but otherwise turning it off and losing business makes me want to bang my head against the wall. Talk about an employee mentality.

Reply by doglover/CA on 3/22/09 11:43pm
Msg #281728

Re: Same here

When doing a non-ND signing, I also have the phone on in case I need to speak with a representative from the lender or the title company to ask a question. Caller ID lets me determine if an incoming call is business-related or not.

Reply by snowflake/PA on 3/20/09 11:53am
Msg #281477

Re: A bit quiet here too n/m

Reply by Tami Jones on 3/20/09 12:10pm
Msg #281482

Re: A bit quiet here too

In Richmond, Flooded in first 2 weeks of month. Have only had 2 this week and only 2 scheduled for next week. Maybe calm before the storm.

Reply by doglover/CA on 3/20/09 12:15pm
Msg #281483

It is already starting to get crazy for me. Yesterday has been the only day I did not have any appointments. And will be getting a new printer sometime next week, an HP Laserjet P2055DN. At 35 ppm, it will be faster than the present printer.

Reply by ME/NJ on 3/20/09 12:29pm
Msg #281484

2 canceled today, up again for EOM

The joy of last minute calls.. call this morning cancel by noon. Hey lets make sure everything is a go before we set a closing. Nope lets set the closing then get our ducks in a row.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 3/20/09 2:15pm
Msg #281492

Unusual day so far for me.

My 7pm did not want to wait that long so he came to me this morning. I called him when I had docs and he came to my house. Saved me miles, gas. woohoo. My 4pm is also coming to my house because he works right outside my town at the Air force base. Yeah.
I could get used to this. lol

Also was told by my regular TC's that things are definetly picking up and to please keep my phone on and answer it. I always answer my phone in an appt. I excuse myself for a minute and explain that my phone is my livlihood and if I don't answer it, I dont' get work. They always understand. Never a problem. My family knows that if I don't answer it, I will call them back as soon as I can. Or text me if its an emergency. I always look at my texts quickly. I am respectful of the borrowers and don't hold non business conversations while at the table.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 3/20/09 2:48pm
Msg #281498

quiet

Slow for me in North East Ohio..First 2 weeks of March were great, then all went quiet..I have a few lined up already for next week. I think it is the calm before the storm!!

I wish that everyone receives more calls than they can handle!! Happy 1st day of Spring!!

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 3/20/09 5:45pm
Msg #281513

It is getting busy

No question about it these new lower interest rates are going to increase business.

I am busy in the Inland Empire so I can imagine what it is going to be like in other parts of the country.

"Fasten your seat belts it's going to be a fun ride".

Reply by Barbara___IL on 3/20/09 5:43pm
Msg #281512

How can anyone do 8 refinances in one day? I think I would look like Linda Blair in the Exorsist with my head apinning around.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/20/09 10:45pm
Msg #281565

I think some people who say they're doing 8 in a day are full of crap.

The odds of getting 8 different assignments in one day are slim enough, then add in being able to schedule them all consecutively, getting all the docs in a timely manner, having time to print all the docs, and traveling to each appointment and it seems HIGHLY unlikely to me that anyone could possibly get this done, even if they wanted to work a 16 hour day.

Reply by Pat/IL on 3/20/09 10:56pm
Msg #281568

Then again, if you are sitting in a title office closing room and they are stacked for you, not a problem.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/20/09 11:43pm
Msg #281571

Right! (Unless you're sub-contracting out...) The most I've ever done in one day was 7 - and several of them were just that: stacked up one after the other and they came to me. It was a verrrry long day and I was fried by the end of it. No way I could do that too often!

Reply by Joan_OH on 3/20/09 11:13pm
Msg #281570

Yes it can be done

Like Bob in Chicago, I am in a very populated area. I highly doubt someone who does 8 in a day does all refinances unless they are sitting in a title office. But those that do probably have a combination of Lender & cash purchase packages. I had 9 purchases today, 9 scheduled for Monday, and 5 so far on Tuesday. I usually don't push so hard, but my partner is on vacation.

It also helps when title lets me schedule, having all the docs the evening before, call all the buyers to make sure they've seen their HUDs and have the appropriate funds ready and carry a laptop and printer in the car so you can pick up an extra closing or two during the day filling in the holes in the schedule. Makes for long days, and even longer evenings preparing for the next day. Then, lots of recuperating and catching up on the weekends.

I imagine my scenario is much like Bob's.

Joan-OH

Reply by sue_pa on 3/21/09 7:18am
Msg #281577

I'm not full of crap.

Thursday:
9:30, 1:00, 2:30, 4:00, 5:00, 7:00, 8:00
Yesterday:
9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 2:30, 4:30, 5:30, 7:30, 9:00

Thursday night I went to bed at 1:00 because when I got home I had to finish up my packages and print what I had for Friday.

Reply by ME/NJ on 3/21/09 7:37am
Msg #281581

8 a day is possible and more

Day starts around 8am and you're done around 1am. Kim would help close a few too. 30 days later you have a nice check. I have not had a days like that in looooong time.

The good ole days.

Reply by sue_pa on 3/21/09 8:08am
Msg #281583

Re: 8 a day is possible and more

...The good ole days. ...

yup ... when receivables dropped below $20,000 the worrying set in.

Reply by ME/NJ on 3/21/09 9:44am
Msg #281595

Mine were never that much

I avg a 30 day roll of 10-13K a month from 2002-2005

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.