Notary Rotary
Signing
Notary Discussion History

Signing
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Mary Hawkins on 3/18/09 12:13pm
Msg #281149

Signing

I have become a member but I am new to this and would like some pointers as to getting the work opportunities. I am a notary public. Can you Steer me in the right directions? Mary

Reply by MW/VA on 3/18/09 12:16pm
Msg #281151

Use the orange search button & do a lot of research.

Reply by Mary Hawkins on 3/18/09 12:25pm
Msg #281158

I did view the orange search and need directions for anyone, me, or other what would be the selection? Msg#, search for, key word, post from, to - blanks to fill in. Tell me. Thank you. Mary

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/18/09 12:26pm
Msg #281159

Message # 33325

Is a good place to start.
Otherwise, for specific questions, use kewords in your search.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/18/09 12:26pm
Msg #281160

Excuse me, that would be KEYWORDS n/m

Reply by Mary Hawkins on 3/18/09 12:36pm
Msg #281162

Re: Message # 33325

So my message # will that above when I do my search. The key word should be whatever I have ?'s about and post is frm date to date.

Reply by Mary Hawkins on 3/18/09 12:42pm
Msg #281164

Re: Message # 33325

Ok, I veiwed the above message # and I got the info and I will read and go from there. I'm new at this so, one step at a time for me.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 3/18/09 12:28pm
Msg #281161

Hi Mary and welcome aboard

Did you become a Premium member or a basic member, the path to success is different and I certainly don't wish to influence you but the Premium membership offers certain advantages that basic members don't get such as placement in the listings and certain research functions. I would recommend that if you are serious about this particular niche in the business you become a Premium member. There is a lot of competition from seasoned Notaries and to start off at the bottom of the listings isn't going to jump start your business: its a known fact most people won't read down more than two or three Notaries before making a decision. Unfortunately the business is way off and many well established notaries have struck their tents and gone home because of the down turn. Good luck!

Reply by Mary Hawkins on 3/18/09 12:46pm
Msg #281165

Re: Hi Mary and welcome aboard

I don't think so. I just signed up. I am interested in becoming a signer because I feel that this is something I have been looking for in my spare time. How do you become a Premium member? Mary.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/18/09 1:13pm
Msg #281172

Mary
First, go to Find A Notary icon and search your zip code to see what competition you have.

Realize this is not a "get rich quick" business, it takes a lot of work and study. Make sure you know your state's notary laws inside out and back to front.

Your "spare time" may not be the time that coincides with signing companies needs. A lot of the signings are done in the evenings, at the borrowers convenience - not the notary's convenience.

At the "Home page" of NotaryRotary when you log in, next to your name it will say "my account" just click on that and it should tell you how to become a Premium member.

Reply by Todd/OH on 3/18/09 6:47pm
Msg #281252

If you are new to mortgage banking, I would HIGHLY suggest that you become familiar with the necessary documents in a typical closing package. There's a reason for each and they can't be overlooked. In addition, there are the "junk docs". They still need to be signed but take up time and paper.

This is one of the best electronic boards that you can become involved with. Research and read topics as they come up. You will become acquainted with most of the issues/problems that a typical notary faces. This will take time to do. Even when you become comfortable enough to take a closing appointment, there will be even more to learn - and achieve.

While it's true that you learn from your mistakes, this is one profession in which mistakes can get costly. A typical mistake is having a borrower sign wrong on a doc or they miss it entirely. You must then pay them another visit at your expense to get the signature.

You will find mostly professionals on this board and they will allow you to learn from them. If you have a passion for this business, this is the place to be.

Good luck !!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/19/09 12:10am
Msg #281302

Good points, Todd. But the costs from mistakes can go way beyond having to make a second trip. There is a lot of potential liability these days, if someone misses a rate lock, or if a redraw becomes necessary because of notary negligence.

Mary, you didn't mention whether or not you knew anything about the loan business, just that you are a notary. Being a notary is a prerequisite to being a loan signer, but this is a completely different ball of wax. I would do more than suggest that you become familiar with loan docs. I'd call it a necessity! If you haven't yet, I highly recommend you take a course to get the basics of the signing business. The best out there is the Signing Registry program which is sold here on this board. Just reading this forum isn't really enough for you to get started, and as Todd said, you will mostly find professionals here. That means that the expectation is to already know what they are doing (the basics, at the very least), not that this is a site to train people to do what we do.

It's also a good idea to put together a business plan. You will need to learn what supplies will be needed, what your costs are (there is lots of info here about what to include), etc. so you can decide what fees to set. This is self-emplyment, not like having a job.

Having said all that, I do agree that you can learn a lot here. I still learn new things here all the time and I've been coming to this forum for many years now.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.