Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
What the heck is pdf/A mode...and why is it sooo slow?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Lee/AR on 3/19/09 9:03pm
Msg #281435

And goofy. Could only print maximum of 6 pages at a time or an error message would pop up and it would shut down. Guess I should add that spouse did me a 'favor' & upgraded to Adobe 9.1.

Reply by OR on 3/20/09 12:46am
Msg #281442

Re: What the heck is pdf/spooling for me.... I had to....

I had to restore back to the 15th and that fixed my 'puter. It took 1 hour and 20 minutes to print 60 pages. Argggh So glad I got it done. Now I have to get up at 4 am to drive 100 miles tomy signing tomorrow. G'nite to all. Life has bee so busy lately. Wish I had more time to chate lately. Hope life is good every 1.

Reply by YumaAgent on 3/20/09 12:52am
Msg #281443

You might want to consider downloading a driver for your printer. Hope it works!

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 3/20/09 6:23am
Msg #281447

Most companies don't use 9.1 when sending files, I had to remove it from my new computer. I did find that using a different driver changed the speed of printing. Do an update on drivers and test printing 20 pages or so to see if printing has speeded up.

Reply by PAW on 3/20/09 8:01am
Msg #281453

"9.1" is the latest version of the free Adobe Reader. I believe the latest version of Acrobat, the PDF 'maker' software, is still at version 9.0.

Many companies have upgraded to v9 but the files they create are usually targeted to version 5, which means most versions of the Reader (v5 and later) will have no problems with the file. Some of the other (non-Adobe Acrobat) PDF makers, often target the output for v4 to allow for capability with most users software.

I have upgraded to 9.1 of the reader and have had no problems with it. I haven't noticed any slow downs in printing since. But, admittedly, I haven't done a whole lot of printing either.

Reply by PAW on 3/20/09 7:54am
Msg #281452

According to the Long-Term Preservation of Documents effort by the government (Library of Congress), PDF/A-1 is a constrained form of Adobe PDF version 1.4 intended to be suitable for long-term preservation of page-oriented documents for which PDF is already being used in practice. The ISO standard [ISO 19005-1:2005] was developed by a working group with representatives from government, industry, and academia and active support from Adobe Systems Incorporated. Part 2 of ISO 19005 will be a version of PDF/A based on a more recent version of PDF. (Source: http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000125.shtml)

In short, it is the ISO Standard format for PDF documents.

Reply by Shoshana Roller on 3/20/09 8:01am
Msg #281454

I just love it when my dh "helps" me! LOL! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.