Notary Discussion History

Why I confirm address of signing when confirming appointment
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Bob_Chicago on 3/12/09 3:26pm
Msg #280499

Why I confirm address of signing when confirming appointment

Just got off phone with a bwr for a signing tomorrow
After normal confirmation talk I said.
We are meeting a 123 Main street in xxx, Il, correct?
He said , no 123 main st is correct, but it is in zzz, Il
xxx and zzz are about 75 miles apart
Seems that lender and/or title co transposed numbers in ZIP code.
Called and told them to re-assign and if they had a problem, I would help
them out, but that we would REALLY need to talk about the fee.
Have had many instances over the years, where they had PIQ address correct,
and showed that on corfirmation but signing was to be at another location for
any number of reasons. Meeting at work, PIQ was investment or 2nd home , or
PIQ was being remodeled , etc, etc.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/12/09 3:29pm
Msg #280500

ok ok, wth is piq? lol

property in question is my guess

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 3/12/09 3:39pm
Msg #280505

Yup n/m

Reply by Linda Juenger on 3/12/09 3:43pm
Msg #280506

Another reason to confirm the address is borrowers are

refi'ing investment property and they live across the country. Happened to me just last week. I kept trying to confirm and they didn't answer. Went ahead and printed docs because I had another one close by and didn't want to drive 15 miles back home and then go right back in the same direction. Borrower finally returned my call and told me she is in Maryland and the property is in Southern IL. I tried real hard to get a hold of the hiring entity to try and get this done in Maryland that evening if possible. That didn't happen, but I tried. My fault I guess. Might as well take the blame, as no one else will claim it. But, it happens and I just go with the flow. No need to get upset, doesn't solve or help anything. Bob is right, it pays to confirm the address while you have the borrowers on the phone anyway.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/12/09 8:50pm
Msg #280526

Re: Another reason to confirm the address is borrowers are

I hope this doesn't come across as petty or nit-picky, but your post reminded me of a point I'd like to emphasize. Just because it's a smart thing for us to check these things for all the reasons people have mentioned here - and many more, I'm sure - doesn't mean that the responsibility should rest with the notary. These are only issues for us when someone else doesn't get it right.

Naturally, we want to work smart when it comes to the conduct of our own businesses and we care about providing good customer service to our clients. However, it seems that in some quarters there is a tendency to try to hold the notary accountable for for everyone's mistakes. I don't want to make too big an issue out of this, but I think we should try to nip in the bud this type of thinking wherever possible.

Linda, I think you did the right thing by trying whatever possible to get in touch with your client, but you weren't the one who assumed that the borrower's address was the same as the property address and mis-assigned the closing. If that hadn't happened, you wouldn't have wasted your time, paper and toner dealing with that error to begin with.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/12/09 5:44pm
Msg #280517

I've had a rash of these lately, too. Sooo glad I check

first. (Since we are a destination area, so many borrowers are vacationing here - Many times they have no recollection of the actual address of the 'home' they are renting...or how to get there. I've "landed" many a family at their 'home port' so to speak, with landmarks to look for. )

It's a rarity to print docs prior to verifying address, etc. with borrowers...that old song 'n dance that they "know you're coming," doesn't cut it, especially with the distances around these parts. "They know you're coming" doesn't work when 'they' are in New York...

Good reminder post.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 3/12/09 6:58pm
Msg #280522

Same thing here in Alabama. Wrong City, Wrong State and

wrong phone number.

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/12/09 9:26pm
Msg #280528

Must be something going around this month...

I'm in AR, PIQ in AR, Borrower in Iowa....my, but that would have been some fee. The 'bad part' of cell phones is that area codes don't mean a lot any more so you don't even get a clue from the phone number. Got it straightened out pdq, tho'.

Reply by sue_pa on 3/14/09 12:56pm
Msg #280728

Re: Same thing here in Alabama. Wrong City, Wrong State and

at least they're consistent !!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.