Notary Rotary
Why don't people know...
Notary Discussion History

Why don't people know...
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by BrendaTx on 3/13/09 7:34am
Msg #280555

Why don't people know...

before they start a business who will hire them...what to charge...how to "start" the business?

I believe I'm going to start a dog grooming business today.

I need to know...

do I need training?

who will let me groom their dog without experience?

what do other places charge...I need to be "competitive" in my pricing? (i.e., undercut get the other businesses to get started)

will the local dog groomers tell me how to take a part of their business away from them?

will someone please send me links and documents, books, training materials on how to get my grooming business going?

do you know where I can get training? I need help fast...I opened yesterday.

==========
Shouldn't this kind of info be researched BEFORE starting a business?

Just my thoughts...

Reply by MW/VA on 3/13/09 7:56am
Msg #280558

Great post, Brenda. I don't think anyone has ever presented it this way. I got started in this business because a friend had told me about it. I didn't have a clue about this business.
I started with a particular "how to book", took the courses offered (even though there is a lot of criticism of the XYZ), researched equipment, etc. That was in the days before I even knew about NotRot & the other boards. Fortunately, I had a business background, so at least I understood recordkeeping, taxes, etc. I started really slow & the business built as I gained in knowledge/expertise. There is no franchise for NSA's. I agree with you completely, that research & training are necessary before anyone takes that first signing.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/13/09 9:15am
Msg #280564

Re: Why don't people know...prompted by

a note from a new notary in the North Tx area...

Found a link here from back in '06...2 years ago...which I had posted regarding where to find a set of loan docs.

Well...that link is no longer working.

New notary wanted me to send him a new link or provide him a copy of the loan doc package...why? Because he just started this business.

It is preposterous that anyone starts a business they have no clue about...which they just start asking people to help them with.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/13/09 9:18am
Msg #280565

Brenda
You can groom my dogs anytimeSmile

Reply by sue_pa on 3/13/09 9:46am
Msg #280574

I'll have my youngest bid against Brenda (need your smiley face) - AND she's got experience !!!

Reply by sue_pa on 3/13/09 9:52am
Msg #280577

changed my mind - I'll have my daughter teach Brenda everything she knows, as long as Brenda stays out of PA unless she's coming for lunch !!! and then that's on me

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/13/09 10:12am
Msg #280583

I guess "grooming" is on my mind...wish I "KNEW" a groomer and not just a place to drop off dogs to be groomed. Both of mine have to be clipped or I wind up with a dog hair carpet on my wood floors.

sue...Would love to do lunch! It's just that Tx to Pa drive. :0)

Glad to do your pups, Sylvia...next time I am in FL...I am gentle...but they aren't exactly beauty contestants when I get finished.

In fact, my babies look pitiful when I finish...but they have shorter hair, no burns...and I tell them they are looking good and they don't mind. It saves me about $80 - $100 to groom them myself...but it's such a hassle and worth every darn penny.

Reply by MichiganAl on 3/13/09 9:39am
Msg #280572

I've stopped being surprised by the lack of preperation n/m

Reply by rengel/CA on 3/13/09 11:55am
Msg #280597

... and now that I have started my grooming business, why aren't all of the pet owners calling me for appointments and not their groomers that they've been using for the past 10 years?

...what's that? Advertising? I have to advertise? Nobody told me that part....

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/13/09 12:21pm
Msg #280598

Do you pick up and deliver??? - if so you're hired!!...<G> n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 3/13/09 12:41pm
Msg #280602

Speaking of the dog grooming business, MOBILE is the way to go. That's hot in this area.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/13/09 1:08pm
Msg #280606

There are mobile groomers in my area too but my dogs are too

big - they can't accommodate my two "ponies"..

Reply by sue_pa on 3/13/09 1:42pm
Msg #280611

Re: There are mobile groomers in my area too but my dogs are too

my daughter's van has some type hydraulic lift - the "ponies" stand on a platform and it lifts them up so they can walk/saunter/be shoved inside the van. No idea how her thought process works but she loves Mastiff's (sp? - the ones that look like bears?) and dislikes St. Bernards.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/13/09 2:09pm
Msg #280616

Funny you say that Sue..

we just got a "puppy" a few weeks ago - she's 4 months old - mother is Siberian Husky (full) - father is possibly mastiff/golden/hound....she's already 40 pounds - vet says father is probably mastiff - I read about them and they are HUGE!!! There was a local ad for Mastiff pupplies for sale - sire on premises - 246 lbs!!!

I think I'm in big trouble...

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/13/09 10:56pm
Msg #280669

Speaking of mastiffs.....

I did an RM signing on Wednesday, was in an area of Riverside county with partial unpaved roads and I went to what I thought was the BO's house and a GIGANTIC charcoal grey creature with glowing eyes was staring at me....no fence around these properties as they were probably 1,000 feet apart. At first I thought it was a statue but it started moving and it had a tail..... and then it barked. *You could not have paid me to get out of the car!!* Needless to say I was on the phone with the BO and he told me I was at the neighbors and to backtrack and come to the house with the XXXX car in the driveway. I asked him about that BIG grey creature with the glowing eyes and he said it was a bull mastiff.

But then the BO had a big dog that has a rottweiler face, was black and brown like my friend's rottweiler but was shaggy. I asked him if he had a rottweiler mix and he said it was a new zealand pure bred rottweiler. Interesting looking dog.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/14/09 8:52am
Msg #280690

Hey Lisa - you got lucky!!

Mastiff and Bullmastiff are two different breeds - and the bullmastiff is the smaller of the two - if you can believe that!!!

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/14/09 1:55pm
Msg #280744

Re: Hey Lisa - you got lucky!!

Then I stand corrected......it was a mastiff, you could put a saddle on it and ride it. LOL!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/14/09 2:09pm
Msg #280746

ROFL..I'm selling pony rides this summer!!! n/m

Reply by Teddog/CO on 3/14/09 9:49am
Msg #280697

Brenda TX lol I couldn't of said it better myself. What in the world are people "thinking" when they just jump-in the water before they learn how to swim ??? Research, research. JMO

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.