Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Wow! So BO called me directly to schedule appointment...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 7:27am
Msg #280401

He already had the docs and lives very close to me. In my head I am thinking "Sweet. Just simple notary work". I get to his home and notarize the required docs. He then tells me that the lender told him that whatever notary he called would go through the package with him and return it. The nerve. Can you believe that?

Reply by sue_pa on 3/12/09 7:30am
Msg #280403

So did you? The one's I've done I've been hired strictly as a notary. Others state they offer the borrowers the option of 'notary' or 'signing agent'. I can barely squeak notary fees out of someone ... they would never pay my fee to go through the entire package. When I get these calls, I tell them to have laying to the side all docs to be notarized. I touch nothing else. The ones I've done have all been very clearly marked with a section either clipped together or else on one side of a three-sided folder with docs to be notarized.

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 7:57am
Msg #280406

Absolutely not!

I did not touch the package for the reasons you stated above. But I did want to add the BO did not just say "whatever notary you call". He specifically said "a notary from Notary Rotary will". I just can't believe that they would tell him that.

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/12/09 8:31am
Msg #280409

So, who's the lender? n/m

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 8:36am
Msg #280410

Re: So, who's the lender?

Wells Fargo

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/12/09 9:45am
Msg #280414

I had one some years ago - vacationing family in seaside

resort town up on the northern Oregon Coast - a couple of hours drive for me. Mr. called from out-of-state, made the app't after I quoted $400. He was a lawyer. I remember a gorgeous summer's day, beautiful drive, very nice folks, and a check on the spot.

I hammered the check on my way home, and was happy to drop docs.

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 10:16am
Msg #280419

Re: This was not a vacationing family in seaside...

By where they lived (not that I'm a snob) and the condition of their home, they were not about to foot the bill. When I made the appointment, I expected a notary job so I quoted him based only on that. It was not until I go there, that the whole scenario changed.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/13/09 9:29am
Msg #280569

Re: This was not a vacationing family in seaside...

I have clients call me for notarizing their loan docs. When they arrive, I just have them get the docs out that need notarization. I do not go through their loan docs with them.
If asked, I will let them know that going through docs with them is not a notary's job, that they need a "signing agent" a notary who specializes in loan docs. My health will not allow me to sit down for an hour to go over the loan docs with them.
Plus I discovered several years ago that most of those who bring their loan docs to me, as a notary, don't want to pay anything more than the state allowed fee for notarizations (some even think that is too high!)

Reply by JulieD/KS on 3/12/09 9:57am
Msg #280415

If that's the case, then I would charge the borrower normal signing agent fees and tell him why. If I'm 'just' acting as a notary, I would just charge for notarial services...but if the lender is just trying to bypass paying my fees, then I would still charge my normal fees.
I think it's the borrower getting the shaft in this case.

Of course, in today's financial and economic climate...we are all getting the shaft in many ways.

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 10:19am
Msg #280422

Re: I quoted him on the phone based on a notary job....

After I had arrived and finished notarizing, I was hit with the rest of the package. I can read people very well and these people (regardless of my salesmanship) were not about to pay my fee.

Reply by BobbiCT on 3/12/09 11:33am
Msg #280441

Notary Public fee quotes ...

At $5 per notarization and a MAXIMUM of 35 cents per mile, I

Have the signer come to a location of my convenience. Explaining that I DO NOT travel for the 35 cents allowed by law when the IRS business deductible rate is 55 cents.

Tell the signer to have two CURRENT forms of identification handy.

Tell the signer to pull out only those documents flagged for notarization. As these are the documents I will notarize and it is outside the scope of my commission to "review or assist" with the documents.

Tell the signer to have cash. He can calculate the amount by counting the notarizations at $5 each. (Eliminates any bounced check and aggrevation over a $15 bounced check; i.e., you may never get paid when the check bounces.)

Fox and the Grapes: If the grapes don't come to me, I probably am better off not trying to get them.

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 11:35am
Msg #280444

Re: Notary Public fee quotes ...

Agreed...but it was a total of 8 notarizations and he was in the same town as me. My town is a whole 7 sq miles. I had no problem going to him.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/12/09 10:17am
Msg #280421

This has been discussed before. Docs going directly to borrowers, with instructions to "find a notary" aren't unusual. It isn't just "notary work", so you should quote them an appropriate fee.

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 10:22am
Msg #280423

I have done these too...

I did quote them the fee for notary work and that is what I expected: NOTARY WORK! It was not until after I finished that they pulled out the rest of the package.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/12/09 10:41am
Msg #280429

Re: I have done these too...

That's why you should give them 2 options when they call you. You won't have to worry about being put on the spot like this and you might end up making more money than you otherwise would have.

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 11:02am
Msg #280433

Re: I have done these too...

Good idea...In 8 years, I had never had that happen.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/12/09 11:41am
Msg #280445

give them 2 options when they call you

That's exactly what I do.
I ask if they just want their signatures notarized on certain docs, or if they would like me
to act as a remote closer and review the whole package with them, and offer them the
fees for each.
Around here, I offer a inclusive fee, which is generally less than the per notarization fees
the state allows.
But, honestly, most decline and go to the local UPS, where fees are generally less than what I can afford to charge.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/12/09 10:44am
Msg #280431

"...not until I finished that they pulled out the rest of

the package."

I'm confused. You didn't know this was a refi (or whatever?) What were the docs you notarized? Weren't they a clue?

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 11:00am
Msg #280432

Re: "...not until I finished that they pulled out the rest of

I'm not an idiot...yes I knew it was a refi. I was called and asked to notarize the documents that needed to be notarized. If I am notarizing and nothing else, I do not care what else is in the package. Yes, I notarized the documents and he then he pulled out the rest of the package. I was told that they were already pulled out for me to notarize. I quoted him to notarize and nothing else.

Reply by Roger_OH on 3/12/09 11:14am
Msg #280434

I get calls like this occasionally from folks that are sent the package and told to "find a notary", of course not mentioning to get one familiar with loan docs. I also offer them either the "notary only" option for just notary fees and travel, or the full-blown "signing agent" option which would be my normal all-inclusive fee.

In your case, I'd have advised them that if they wanted the package gone thru and returned,
then that's over and above what they had called you for, and charged accordingly. If they didn't want to pay the additional, then you're finished. Just collect the notary/travel fee.

Reply by PAW on 3/12/09 11:31am
Msg #280440

Ask questions during first call

MsM, I put part of the problem squarely on your shoulders, as you apparently didn't ask the right questions. Whenever a borrower calls, it is prudent for the NSA (or just plain notary) to ascertain exactly what the caller expects. Don't leave anything out that can come back and bite you in the caboose. Always be upfront with your fees and expectations and be sure the caller understands and accepts what you tell them.

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 11:33am
Msg #280442

Re: Ask questions during first call

If the caller stated that they already separated what I needed notarize would you still ask the question?

Reply by PAW on 3/12/09 11:42am
Msg #280446

Re: Ask questions during first call

You bet. I get calls for doing "notarizing" all the time. I always, without question, ask a bunch of questions to determine exactly what it is the caller is expecting. Then I quote a price and repeat the expectations to the caller so they are clearly aware of what I am going to do and exactly how much it will cost. Anything that crops up at the table will be extra!

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 11:49am
Msg #280447

Re: Thanks...

I've been doing this a while but I was a notary first, so when someone says that's what they need, I tend to think that's what they need but silly me.

Reply by PAW on 3/12/09 12:46pm
Msg #280459

You're welcome

I've always worked under the premise that the caller doesn't know what they want. Thus the fishing expedition to determine what it is they are really after. When it comes to loan closings, most "civilians" are clueless or pretty close to it. So when they are instructed to "find their own notary", that's what they look for. They don't know what it is they need or want. To avoid the suspense and surprises, a 15 minute fishing expedition over the phone usually results in what they need versus what they were looking for.

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/12/09 12:33pm
Msg #280454

<<<If the caller stated that they already separated what I needed notarize would you still ask the question?>>>

I get lots of calls to notarize my *paperwork*. One of the first questions I ask is "What is the title of the document?". From there, I'm clued in to the possibilities and can quote fees accordingly.

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 12:40pm
Msg #280456

Just because someone asks you to notarize a mortgage

does not mean they want you to go through the whole package with them. I don't know about your state, but in CT we can not change the price because of the type of document. I have notarized many mortgages and sometimes I've done the whole package and sometimes I have not. What the title of the document is means absolutely nothing.

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/12/09 1:34pm
Msg #280469

Re: Just because someone asks you to notarize a mortgage

<<<What the title of the document is means absolutely nothing.>>>

You missed my point but the bottom line is that you didn't ask the bo if he wanted you to review the package or just notarize the specific docs.

<<<I have notarized many mortgages....>>>

Dumb mistakes happen because of complacency. Notaries get too comfortable and stop treating their 1000th signing like their first, then we see complaining posts like yours who blame the bo for the assumptions THEY made.

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 2:19pm
Msg #280480

Re: I made no assumptions...

If you re-read, borrower stated "I already pulled out the documents that you need to notarize". I'm defintely not complacent but when some one states something, then to me that is what they need. A) "I need you to notarize my documents and I already pulled out the documents you need to notarize" B) "I need you to go through the loan package with me". Based on "A", I gave a quote. With all loans, you are either doing the entire package or you are not. There are 2 choices and don't see how that is being complacent. I was not certainly not blaming the borrower. Again, re-read.

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/12/09 4:29pm
Msg #280510

Re: I made no assumptions...

Yeah, I re-read....your NINTH post....not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd post but the NINTH one stated <<I was called and asked to notarize the documents that needed to be notarized.>>>

Had someone said this <<"I already pulled out the documents that you need to notarize".>> Knowing that he had a loan package, I would have made the following comment:
"OK, EXCELLENT!, so you've had a chance to review the rest of the documents and all of your questions have been answered by your loan officer?" Now he, either has to answer NO he did not review any of the docs or yes, he reviewed them but has questions. By probing a little more and asking more questions, you wouldn't be irritated that the bo asked for more than you both agreed to. I agree with PAW (as usual) that people don't always know what they need.

Reply by MsM/CT on 3/12/09 2:21pm
Msg #280481

By the Way...

The guy did not even have a return shipping slip. So returned on who's dime.

Reply by DPazCA on 3/12/09 12:42pm
Msg #280457

Yes I can believe that. Sneaky peeps. I am always leary and tend to ask more questions because of being nontrusting. Live and learn.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.