Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
bob-chicago...i also ran in to this article....interesting..
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by dickb/wi on 3/26/09 12:49pm
Msg #282209

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/New-Illinois-Law-Combats-iw-14738134.html

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/26/09 3:28pm
Msg #282240

Well, crap, but not to you DickB....

Can I just say that this contributing organization did such a fine job in California...getting the notaries to their classes...manufacturing (IMHO) all kinds of scary things to be able to sell them gear, gear, and more gear...and there absolutely NO FRAUD in CA, now is there?

I wonder how the IL notaries will feel once the organization sets their hooks into their real estate and mortgage market...maybe kind of flooded with notaries?

If you don't know what I'm ramble-raging about look who is posting the press release.
Check out the last paragraph of the story:

Established in 1957, the blah blah blah is the leading authority on the American Notary office and is dedicated to educating, serving and advocating for the nation's 4.8 million Notaries. The blah blah blah imparts comprehensive notarial knowledge and understanding, promotes a positive public perception of the Notary professional, and bolsters consumer protection by promoting best practices. The Association's accredited professional programs, services, model legislation and groundbreaking eNotarization technology initiatives help Notaries advance their careers and serve the American public with the highest level of professionalism and ethics. To learn more, visit www.blahblahblahorg. For the latest updates on how the new law impacts Illinois Notaries and their employers, please visit www.blahblahblah.org/IL/lawchanges

Someone at the blahblahblah...........

Reply by trnsa_IL on 3/26/09 4:10pm
Msg #282257

Re: Well, crap, but not to you DickB....

My feelings exactly!

They also sent a letter to IL notaries...Sign up now and pay anywhere from $99.00 to $198.00 and we'll train you how to complete the new notarial record and properly identify the signer because you must comply with SB546. The letter never tells what the SB changes are just that we must all comply and they can sell us the info.

This letter came with a "copy" of a letter sent to the NNA from Cook County RoD/Registrar. The letter seems to be addressed to the NNA assuring them that their office(CCRoD) is implementing the necessary changes. It states that the NNA has worked closely with them to develope a form to comply with the new SB. (I'll Bet) The letter even suggests that the NNA customers call them first before contacting the IL Technical Service Division if the NNA can't answer their questions. The name of the recipient of the letter is "missing" making it appear to be written to the IL notaries to be included in their mass mailout(IMO). I believe this letter was sent to the NNA after solicitation from the NNA.

Just google it (SB546) and read it for yourself. I called the SOS and they are preparing a letter of their own, and I hope it doesn't suggest we contact the NNA.

This press release states that the NNA is glad that IL has chosen to use notaries. I can see the $$ in his eyes as he says this because he plans to make a killing "selling" this valuable information to people who will not check it out for themselves.

Sorry I am so upset, but I am tired of this money making machine!

P.S. I am not mad all the time, I am really a nice person. =)

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/26/09 4:15pm
Msg #282261

trnsa_IL - - - it concerns me that they have found a new

venue to infilterate and flood with notaries.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 3/26/09 4:48pm
Msg #282266

Re: trnsa_IL - - - it concerns me that they have found a new

I maybe be missing something, but I only think that they are going to "train" existing or any "new" notaries they can recruit who will pay them for the information. The SB546 referenced in the article states we have to complete a notarial record which includes a thumbprint of the signer for every "notarial act that transfers title to residential real property" in Cook county. It also changes the Id document requirement to be valid Government issued with a photo and signature. As far as Id goes, I can only say "It's about time!"

Like I said I may have missed something here, more than they are just greedy.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/27/09 2:56am
Msg #282312

Don't bet on it. They did the same thing here in CA last year when the law changed. The state SOS office did what I thought was a pretty good job of covering the changes in a short newsletter available from their website. The come-on letter from XYZ sounded like the teasers for the late news. I just love those: they tell you a little of what they're going to tell you without really telling you anything. Then when they DO tell you, it takes the same amount of time as the teaser line so they could have just told you then what they were going to tell you... [or something like that] Wink

And in the case of the XYZ classes, you waste several hours and I think they were charging $75 for the class. I don't know how they managed to turn that into to a whole class (which may have been a half day). They probably used half the time trying to sell supplies. ("Today only..."Wink Thanks, Brenda, for commenting on this. That last bit made me gag, too. I have to say, though, that I do think the new law makes sense to me.

<<Since 1993, the state of California has been requiring notaries to record thumbprint on all notarizations relating to real property transactions. To date there have been no fraud cases related to a thumbprint or any other data being compromised from the records of the state's more than 250,000 notaries public.>>

Conversely, there HAVE been fraud cases brought to trial directly as a result of a notary having a thumprint in a journal. But we are responsible for maintaining the security of our own journals and may not hand them over to our employers -- or anyone else, except for the County Recorder, once we retire or expire. I believe they keep them locked up for 10 years, then destroy them.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 3/27/09 9:10am
Msg #282330

"The come-on letter from XYZ sounded like the teasers for the late news. I just love those: they tell you a little of what they're going to tell you without really telling you anything. Then when they DO tell you, it takes the same amount of time as the teaser line so they could have just told you then what they were going to tell you... [or something like that]"

Well said, Janet; that is exactly what I was trying to say. Brenda, I understand where you are coming from now. We are on the same page; I thought maybe I had misunderstood their intent.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.