Notary Rotary
borrower says notary scratched table
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Julie/MI on 3/26/09 3:40pm
Msg #282244

not me, someone I know just returned to borrowers home as they complained the notary scratched the table. What if the notary did? Is the borrower responsible for protecting their table, or is the notary?

Reply by Blueink_TN on 3/26/09 3:43pm
Msg #282245

Unless the notary carved his/her initials into the table, I'd say it was the borrower's responsibility to make sure the table was protected. That must have been some pretty soft wood!

Reply by MW/VA on 3/26/09 3:46pm
Msg #282248

This needs to be on "Gimme a break". I have sat at some tables that are high quality, unprotected, and I'm careful not to scratch them with my binder clips or bracelets. IMO if this is the place where they chose to sign, it's up to them to make provision to protect it.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 3/27/09 6:10am
Msg #282317

Lol Good grief what people manage to come up with. The BWR knows they will be signing paperwork and I assume the BWR has been using the table for quite awhile. Duh! Like you said MW/VA that's the reason we are so careful, no jewelry and carry extra paper with you to put under your docs for just such a situation.
Sure wish I could get my Jeep repainted by the goofy BWR's that leave their dogs jump all over your car leaving all kinds of claw marks on the black paint job. It's not like the BWR's don't know we are coming. Sure makes you wonder "what are people thinking." Ah! The exciting, thrill packed life of a notarySmile

Have a great weekend allSmile

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 3/26/09 3:48pm
Msg #282249

This is a Topic...

...I've mentioned in the past due to my P&C insurance background. The Notary most certainly CAN be held responsible for any damage they may do in a borrower's home, real or imagined. A borrower could claim the Notary broke a $10K antique vase as they were getting up to leave. That's where a CGL policy comes into play. Even if the Notary is eventually exonerated from wrongdoing, in the meantime who pays for the Notary's defense if a borrower takes him/her to court? A CGL policy will provide for their client's defense even in an obviously frivolous case. JMHO & should not be construed as legal or insurance advice. Seek the counsel of an insurance agent/producer in your state for the definitive answer in your individual situation.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/26/09 3:51pm
Msg #282251

Re: This is a Topic...

Ok, what is CGL? I'm assuming you're referring to business liability insurance.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 3/26/09 3:53pm
Msg #282253

Commercial General Liability Insurance Policy...

...or, as you say, business liability insurance.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/26/09 3:53pm
Msg #282254

Comprehensive General Liability would be my guess n/m

Reply by A-1 Signing Agents, LLC on 3/26/09 6:59pm
Msg #282287

Re: Comprehensive General Liability would be my guess

Interesting subject. From the beginning, I always used the folder I put the docs in to soften so they aren't writing on a hard surface. Something I always do for myself is put some cushion between the table and paper I am writing on. Even as a drafter I did this. Seemed more comfortable. Luckily it was a practice I see now. So many people are after something for nothing.

Reply by doglover/CA on 3/26/09 7:41pm
Msg #282292

I carry my seal and journal in a metal lockbox. Most of the time I place the lockbox on the floor when I arrive at the borrower's place so I don't risk scratching the table if it is uncovered.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.