Notary Rotary
jurat with affiant statement
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Carol Graff on 3/12/09 3:50pm
Msg #280507

Hi, I'm new at this and am copying some forms off of my CD. What is the above form used for?
thanks!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/12/09 4:49pm
Msg #280514

Carol
I strongly recommend you read your California handbook - it is available online. This is Notary101.

Reply by Carol Graff on 3/12/09 10:15pm
Msg #280535

Sylvia, I have read my handbook, many times, and nowhere is the Jurat with Affiant Statement mentioned. Jurat yes, but not this other form. I am not sure why you would use this form. Can anyone help me on this, please?

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/12/09 10:49pm
Msg #280537

It is used mostly (I'd almost say exclusively--but what do I know) by an attorney and will be drafted by one. Notaries don't do this. All you need to do is complete the jurat below whatever the lawyer has drafted that the signer wants or needs to 'state' or 'affirm'.

Reply by Carol Graff on 3/12/09 10:51pm
Msg #280538

thanks, lee. Appreciate the info.

Reply by Tess on 3/12/09 10:58pm
Msg #280541

Re: Before asking a question, please use Google!

Sylvia is right, notary 101. You should know what a affiant statement is !!!

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 3/12/09 11:16pm
Msg #280543

The Jurat with Affiant Statement is not in CA Handbook

Jurat With Affiant Statement

I(We)_______________________________________________________________ with my
(our) signatures, herewith swear or affirm that the following statement is true to the best of my (our) knowledge.

Initial each line completed

___ ____ 1.________________________________________________

___ _____ 2.________________________________________________

and it goes on to number 10

Signature of affiant_______________Date signed
Signature of affiant_______________Date signed

The rest of it is 2008 CA Jurat Certificate verbiage

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/13/09 7:54am
Msg #280557

One of your students, Joan? n/m

Reply by Tess on 3/13/09 10:28am
Msg #280585

Re: If you know what a Jurat is, and know who an Affiant is,

and know what an Affidavit does, = you would know what the form is used for. It does not have to be in your handbook. Notary 101!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/13/09 12:30am
Msg #280548

The Jurat w/ Affiant statement is not an "official" form in our handbook because the affiant statement is NOT a notarial form. It's is simply a statement... and it can be in any form the signer wants, with a jurat attached.

There are forms out there that allow for a person to write a statement out that contain a pre-printed jurat... but I don't like supplying them because, as a notary, I don't want them to think I'm supplying them with any kind of legal document.

As previously mention, this is usually something a lawyer prints out for a client, or somebody writes up ahead of time. As a notary, you're only concerned with the jurat part of it.

Reply by Mamie on 3/13/09 7:33pm
Msg #280645

Today in a refi, I had something very similar. The form was the BO's name affidavit, where he put in all the information and signed his name 4 different times in 4 different ways
and then signed on the bottom that he is affirming these signatures and names to be true. Attached to that was an acknowlegement which was I notarized that he is the one who acknowleges he signed the document.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.