Notary Rotary
one for the books
Notary Discussion History

one for the books
Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Lisa Bittner on 3/18/09 3:25pm
Msg #281190

one for the books

We scheduled a Los Angeles signing agent to complete a REO loan signing. As far as we were told signing went with out issue.
Docs got out on time and were delivered to escrow on time. Smile
when escrow reviews the docs they find the only docs that are returned are the signed pages only.
Meaning a 1-14 page dot, only has page 13,and 14 came back.
not one non signed document was returned..
We asked the signing agent why he did that, he said.. that way he would not have to print a copy of the loan docs for the borrower.
He does not see why escrow cant just print a new set and include the signed pages.

I have seen many types of errors us notaries can make in error.. this one is so special.

Reply by ananotary on 3/18/09 3:26pm
Msg #281191

I am speechless!! n/m

Reply by A-1 Signing Agents, LLC on 3/18/09 3:27pm
Msg #281192

Re: I am speechless!!

Still shaking my head in awe. NEVER heard such a thing.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 3/18/09 3:48pm
Msg #281193

Oh yes, "special", nothing surprises me anymore n/m

Reply by rengel/CA on 3/18/09 5:19pm
Msg #281219

yeh, "special"... In a short bus kind of way............ n/m

Reply by Jim/AL on 3/18/09 3:57pm
Msg #281195

Thanks Lisa... needed a good laugh!

I have been been tempted to not print non-closing related docs (appraisal for example) , but always bite the bullet and print all. I am sure you will use him again soon...NOT.

Reply by Calnotary on 3/18/09 4:18pm
Msg #281199

What is it an 85.00edoc signing? n/m

Reply by Lisa Bittner on 3/18/09 4:27pm
Msg #281204

Re: What is it an 85.00edoc signing?

CALNOTARY
So by that comment it would make sense that someone would do that, if it was a "lowball" fee?

$75.00 or $150.00
if a signing agent agrees to a signing fee, they agree to standard practices.
Unfortunatly, if the signing agent was running out of paper, or was in a financial bind, we would of printed to copies and sent them out by fedex at no fee to the signing agent, or borrower.

there is no excuse for this action.

Reply by Calnotary on 3/18/09 6:31pm
Msg #281240

Sorry Lisa I meant an $85.00 dollar notary. n/m

Reply by Becca_FL on 3/18/09 7:21pm
Msg #281259

Re: What is it an 85.00edoc signing? More than likely.

Lisa, you get what you pay for. If you fish on the bottom of the pond, you'll catch lazy bottom feeders and pound scum.

Reply by Lisa Bittner on 3/18/09 7:44pm
Msg #281260

Re: What is it an 85.00edoc signing? More than likely.

Becca, you dont know how much this cost me
and as most of those posting got the idea of the problem
certainly not our fault

Reply by Sandra Clark on 3/18/09 4:23pm
Msg #281201

Totally unbelieveable! Guess you won't hire him again! LOL Thanks for sharing

Reply by Sandra Clark on 3/18/09 4:24pm
Msg #281202

Laughing with you not at you Lisa................

Reply by Lisa Bittner on 3/18/09 4:29pm
Msg #281205

haha.. i know we were laughing as well.
The escrow company is making us to to the office with a new set and swamping out all of it..
then I will overnight the docs to the borrower so they have a full set.

Signing agent was so surprised that this was not ok.. haha

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/18/09 4:48pm
Msg #281213

Whoa. Hope that isn't someone from here! n/m

Reply by Todd/OH on 3/18/09 5:27pm
Msg #281222

Any bets on how long this notary will last? n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 3/18/09 6:04pm
Msg #281226

That is one for the books. ROFL!
Interesting line of thinking--save time & paper by only doing the signature
pages. Talk about advertising that you don't know what you're doing.
Maybe it's the same person who was talking about $20 signings.

Reply by Kate/CA on 3/18/09 6:28pm
Msg #281236

You didn't bill the title company, did you? n/m

Reply by Lisa Bittner on 3/18/09 7:48pm
Msg #281265

Re: You didn't bill the title company, did you?

Kate, bill them for what?
sure we did, we drove down to the office and fixed the issue at my expense with little delay in sending docs out, but 2 hours. They are local to our office
btw
for those who have worked for Harmony Escrow, who specialize in REO
you will know why this is significant.

Harmony is one of the escrow companies who pay very very low.
so this signing ended up costing me money.
I was just saying, that as I am also a signing agent, I thought some of you would get a kick out of it. And many of you did. Smile

Reply by Becca_FL on 3/19/09 1:10am
Msg #281312

Excuse me, Lisa? You find this funny???

>>>I was just saying, that as I am also a signing agent, I thought some of you would get a kick out of it. And many of you did. Smile<<<

Frankly, I find this disgraceful, and, I find it an abomination of the trade I worked so hard at , and worked many years learning, only to have you mock me and others, not knowing the first thing about what this business is really about. How dare you!

Keep hiring losers, Lisa, I'm sure your business will not prosper because of your decisions. AND, I thank you, for sharing your bad decisions to all that read this forum. Hopefully, you're TC clients read too.

BTW, Have you watched "The High Price of Low Cost" Just wondering?

Not that I think you will ever get it, but there's always hope.

God help the TCs that outsource you for work, they need every bit of help they can get.

Reply by Becca_FL on 3/18/09 6:42pm
Msg #281246

Hold your horses, y'all! This guy thinks he's got the answer

to staying competitive and profitable when accepting lowball SS fees. Think about it, print one complete package, brws can review all docs, make an extra copy of the TIL and maybe the HUD, only send back the signed docs and give the rest to the brw as their copy package. Maybe this is how those NSAs accepting $25, $45, $65 and $85 edoc signings are making it work. The next time I get a lowball offer, I just might throw this out to see if it sicks???? Where are you ServiceStink? I have a proposition for you.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/18/09 6:58pm
Msg #281255

Becca, I think you may just have a point...

I found Lisa's story funny... amusing...very entertaining...except that it is such a sad commentary on this business and the kind of people who get "hired".

In the back of my mind I kept wondering if this wasn't a case of "you get what you pay for"?

A sad commentary on the whole situation that this is the kind of notary being hired....a lot illustrated about the way notary brokers select and engage their contractors. Surely there's a better way.

Reply by Becca_FL on 3/18/09 7:15pm
Msg #281257

Thank you, Brenda, for "getting it" w/o further explaination n/m

Reply by Lisa Bittner on 3/18/09 7:49pm
Msg #281266

Re: Becca, I think you may just have a point...

Becca and Brenda... Nice..
blame the signing company

Smile

good job

Reply by sue_pa on 3/18/09 7:59pm
Msg #281271

I also blame you

We know it was a low fee because you told us your client doesn't pay very much ... naturally the trickle down works fee wise.

Did you interview this guy? Did you check his references? Certainly not every time but when you are at the bottom, others at the bottom will be with you.

I had a chat today w/one of my favorite regional signing service owners - we've had this discussion many times. You must pay a fair fee EVERY time and you will have a stable of notaries waiting to work with you. There will seldom be a need to search for anyone new.

By the way, reo =s a purchase and there is responsibility with that that shouldn't be passed along to someone you didn't know.

Reply by Becca_FL on 3/18/09 8:42pm
Msg #281281

Lisa, there are at least 10 knowledgable LA NSAs that post..

here, probably more that I am not aware of.

The point is, you read posts here, you know what's out there and instead of calling a sure bet and paying a fair fee you decided it was more important to make more money than it was to provide excellent service to your client. There is a fine line between greed and your next PB&J, Bernie Madoff taught us all that, or so I thought. I guess you thought your time would be better spent playing the NSA dial-a-cheaper-notary game than looking out for the best interest of your company and the best interest of you client...too bad for you. Frown Live and learn, I'm sure Bernie's thinking about that right now too.

Reply by SoCal Signing Co. on 3/18/09 11:58pm
Msg #281301

Re: Lisa, there are at least 10 knowledgable LA NSAs that post..

you are wrong

you have NO idea how much was offered this signing agent.
things are not always as black and white as you think

You are just wrong..yet you judge..

this only taught me one thing, not to use that signing agent.

reading your posts is like listening to Charlie Browns parents

Reply by Becca_FL on 3/19/09 1:21am
Msg #281314

I'm sorry, you were not one that came to mind when....

I mentioned LA NSAs. Keep on taking $65 closings, offering $85 closings...whatever makes you feel worthy. Just know that I will NEVER be in your camp because I have self respect, self worth and I know what it costs to run a business.

SoCal=$5 BJs

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/18/09 8:51pm
Msg #281282

Lisa, you can mock us if you'd like to but you might

learn something from people who disagree with your own opinions if you didn't find them so contemptuous.

There is a bigger picture. As someone else said, this is evidence of brain drain...it will continue if you are hiring the open brain drains. The deed and posting of it do nothing for notaries except make fools of them.

In that context it is very sad. Surely there is some lesson to be learned for the signing service in charge of the signing appointment described.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/18/09 8:53pm
Msg #281283

Oops..."brain drain" was in another thread...

however, the same concept applies to this.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/18/09 10:47pm
Msg #281295

Re: Becca, I think you may just have a point...

"Becca and Brenda... Nice..
blame the signing company "

Guess you decided not to come back and include Sue, but when you do you can add me to this list.

First of all, I have a hard time believing that you even advertised to any and all that you did such a sloppy job in finding this person to do your job. Yes, you were responsible for the entire fiasco - you didn't do your due diligence in determining who was to do your REO/purchase. Appalling! And then you pass it off as a "Funny of the Day." And of course you're not responsible for what another does? Where is your shame, or is that a foreign concept to you.

Second - you billed the TC? Lobsters, as sweet as they are, eat dead meat and other thingys.

I could go on, but I am sickened by this affair. You are to a degree, but passing off as a funny story shows lack of many ideals.

Reply by mmjosey on 3/19/09 12:42am
Msg #281306

Re: Hold your horses, y'all! This guy thinks he's got the answer

Hey,
This reallly kills a couple of birds with one stone. Those title companies that send you unneccessary paperwork to print like sticking an entire pages with on them directions in the middle of the docs and 30 pages worth of closing instructions that don't pertain to the borrower, might think twice when thay have to print those docs. You can also mitgate your loses from those signing companys that get paid for closings you complete then pocket the entire fee and close down without paying you your fee.

Reply by LindaD/NJ on 3/18/09 6:43pm
Msg #281247

WOW! I am also speechless! n/m

Reply by ChristineHI on 3/18/09 7:21pm
Msg #281258

I am speechless too.....

In 18 years that is a new one to me too. Wow. That scares me a bit too! Geez. Thanks for sharing.

Reply by A-1 Signing Agents, LLC on 3/18/09 8:21pm
Msg #281277

Just wondering. Are you going to pay this guy?

Reply by SoCal Signing Co. on 3/19/09 12:17am
Msg #281304

One for the road

as my final departing words on the subject
I have treated those who work with us on a one by one basis or a daily basis with much respect.
Understanding how tough it is to make good money with currant market conditions as a SA.

You can be disgusted, and feeling completely self rightgeous in your opinions.
there are many ways to run a business, and everyone here owns their own business.
There are many types of business models, some are more sucessful than others.

This story is not funny, its sad. The fact that those of you blame my signing company, im ok with that blame. The buck stops here, and bigger people have had to take greater blame on greater issues than a notary forum.

As you go along running your own business and feeling you have the perfect business model. You might consider that just because you say something and the same 3 or 4 people agree with you does not make it true.

This, just does not affect my bottom line.

Reply by SoCal Signing Co. on 3/19/09 12:24am
Msg #281305

Re: One for the road with correct spelling

as my final departing words on the subject
I have treated those who work with us on a one by one basis or a daily basis with much respect.
Understanding how tough it is to make good money with current market conditions as a SA.

You can be disgusted, and feeling completely self righteous in your opinions.
there are many ways to run a business, and everyone here owns their own business.
There are many types of business models, some are more successful than others.

This story is not funny, it’s sad. The fact that those of you blame my signing company, I’m ok with that blame. The buck stops here, and bigger people have had to take greater blame on greater issues than a notary forum.

As you go along running your own business and feeling you have the perfect business model. You might consider that just because you say something and the same 3 or 4 people agree with you does not make it true.

This, just does not affect my bottom line.

Reply by mmjosey on 3/19/09 12:54am
Msg #281308

Listen when I read the post I got a good laugh its amazing what people take it into their minds to do. Maybe I misseds omthing in the post but how the others assumed that you chose this notary beecause he was cheap and and all the additional comments that were made I don't understand unless they have person knowledge of your business practices. At any rate listen can't we all just get along!!! it was a funny story. Those of us who have been doing this for years know that you encounter all types of people in this business and sometimes they do things that just leave you speechless!!!

Thanks for the laugh.

Reply by ChristineHI on 3/19/09 1:34am
Msg #281315

I agree with mmjosey. People are sure making a lot of assumptions about things. The signing agent could have misrepresented himself for all we know as well.
I got a good laugh out of it and I have done this for a very long time and am still astounded with what people will do.
Hey, you could pay a signing agent a lot of money and they could still make a total mess of a signing too. I have worked with many people who supposedly knew what they were doing and don't and that got paid a lot of money for their services.
I appreciate this post and it reminds us of some of the people that we are competing with out there.:-)

The fact is there really is not a lot to help a signing company distinguish a good signing agent from a bad one except personal experience and what the signing agent tells them. We have a signing company list that we have compiled to help us distinguish a good company from a bad but a signing company doesn't have anything like that. Even if a notary is "certified" that means little as well. You passed a test or two, but it does not mean you know what you are doing.
I do think a signing company should find the good ones and stick with them, but many don't, they do just go for the cheapest and in the end they will probably suffer for it.

Hey, in this case, how could the signing company have known the signing agent would do this anyway? For gosh sakes, in 18 years I never thought a person would do something like this either. There is only so much you can do and then you have to trust it will be taken care of. Many of use might have thought the agent sounded great when we hired them too...live and learn.

Reply by Becca_FL on 3/19/09 1:44am
Msg #281316

But, The CA SOS DOES affect the way you do biz...

and, I'm sure they might be interested in the way you do business when hiring subcontract notaries public to do your business....JMHO.

Reply by Henry Davidson on 3/19/09 9:27am
Msg #281342

Nice...love this place...want any help in bashing people?...I have one I need to post in response to Charles_CA and his open letter to me last week. U see that one?...dial me up when you have a chance...lets chat 949.307.6880.

Henryd.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/19/09 9:56am
Msg #281346

It's the Hank and Lisa show!

Here we go again.
Why don't you 2 start your own forum and call it the Lowballer's Acceptance Forum?
We can call it the "LAF" for giggles.
You can "laf" at all the inexperienced NSA's who will accept your fees.
You can "laf" at all the errored packages that are returned by said NSA's.
You can "laf" at all the experienced NSA's on other forums, who don't sing your praises.

Nevermind, it really won't be funny enough to "laf" about.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.