Notary Rotary
re: Scanning edoc pkg
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by Roger Proctor Sr on 3/31/09 2:34pm
Msg #282865

Has anybody ever heard of scanning an entire edoc pkg and emailing them to the lender after signing? I have been doing signings for almost 2 years and this is the first time I have ever had a request like this.

Reply by Barbara___IL on 3/31/09 2:44pm
Msg #282868

If you have the docs in email, aren't they already scanned? Can't you just attach them to an email for them?

Reply by Jim/AL on 3/31/09 2:45pm
Msg #282870

I assume he means signed docs Barbara. n/m

Reply by Barbara___IL on 3/31/09 10:20pm
Msg #282945

Re: I assume he means signed docs Barbara.

Oops...I never thought of that. That's too much to ask.

Reply by Jim/AL on 3/31/09 2:44pm
Msg #282869

yep, heard of it & hate it

More common at EOM, but a couple TC's or SS's require whole package or almost every signed page faxed back after appt., some want you to wait to drop docs until they approve..PITA IMHO.
Best to ask about faxbacks when taking appt. and charge based on your extra time and equipment use or decide not to take the job.

Reply by Roger Proctor Sr on 3/31/09 3:10pm
Msg #282871

Re: yep, heard of it & hate it

Yep - sorry was referring to signed docs and I am used to faxing back docs but never have been asked to scan and email back signed complete pkg. I might add that this was a request after confirmation of assignment.

Reply by janCA on 3/31/09 3:13pm
Msg #282872

Roger, just charge accordingly.

Time is money and you should be compensated for that.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/31/09 3:27pm
Msg #282878

All the time, no big deal: all of 5 minutes.

Required on most same-day-funding closings I faciliate.

Reply by SGardTX on 3/31/09 6:09pm
Msg #282900

Re: Is there a special setting to scan faster b/c I have a

fast printer, but it doesn't scan very fast and most of the time the package is too big to send in 1 attachment. Is there a way to make it faster?

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/31/09 7:31pm
Msg #282905

scan faster

Be sure to check your settings. I use Paperport, and have the resolution set to 300 for scanning, and scan type set to black and white.
Anything less is too little, and settings above 300 take forever to scan.
Also, with Paperport, I check "document" and not "photo".
All of these little tweaks have been successful for me.

Reply by PAW on 3/31/09 9:38pm
Msg #282941

Re: scan faster

What are you using to 'receive' the scan? That is, what software package do you have? Or are you simply using the internal printer-ware to generate the file.

I find it very hard to believe that you (or anybody) can scan in 200+ pages and send as an email, all under 5 minutes. (I don't scan as image, I scan as text, makes for a much smaller PDF file.)

Reply by SGardTX on 4/1/09 1:23am
Msg #282948

Re: scan faster: I use the software that came with my Brothe

r MFC-8860. The software automatically opens whenever I hit the scan button on the printer. How can I change the software? Thanks for all your help. This is such great information.

Reply by PAW on 4/1/09 7:32am
Msg #282959

Re: scan faster: I use the software that came with my Brothe

You can use software that supports "twain" devices, and if your scanner is "twain" compliant.

TWAIN means Technology Without An Interesting Name. It is a programming interface that lets a graphics application, such as an image editing program or desktop publishing program, activate a scanner, frame grabber or other image-capturing device.

Most scanners support twain set up, but not all graphic applications do. If you have IrfanView (a free graphic viewer/grabber), you can set up twain in the File menu item. Then you invoke scanning from the application, rather than the printer control.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/1/09 6:17am
Msg #282957

Re: scan faster - Paul, this can be done

on the right set up. Like Misty said, "Paperport".

At my day job office I complete tasks like this each day. (I'd need a faster scanner here at home...but I'm saying it is definitely a possibility because I do it constantly.)

I scan directly to PDFs into Paperport, copy the file(s) with CTRL C, open up the email do a CTRL V and fire away.

200 pages can be scanned in four chunks of 50 or more...a minute or less a piece.

What if it takes TEN minutes? If you make $25-$50 extra then ten minutes is nothing...especially when maybe doubled (or tripled?? Smile ) in a day - $50 to $150 extra in a days work.

Ten minutes is definitely doable on a good set up -- 200 pages -- with minutes to spare. Five minutes? Oh yes, it would be easy to scan 75 pages in five minutes and mail it off.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/1/09 4:51pm
Msg #283054

Paperport, and I never said I scanned 200 pages in 5 mins.

I don't remember ever having a 200+ page package that had to scan.
Normal same day funding packages I am seeing/scanning are anywhere from 10 to 100-ish pages.
5 minutes. Paperport. No lie.
Did I step on someone's toes? LOL Sorry Paul, I didn't mean to get your dander up.

Reply by PAW on 4/2/09 8:35am
Msg #283121

Re: Paperport, and I never said I scanned 200 pages in 5 mins.

No problem. (No dander either! And my toes aren't aching.) It's just that recently, even with purchases, the doc set has been right around 200 pages with all kinds of broker docs, title docs, FHA/VA docs and lender docs. One package had 5 (count them) Name/Signature type affidavits. All slightly different.

I agree that a 100 page (or less) doc set shouldn't be that much of a hassle.

Reply by A S Johnson on 4/1/09 9:29am
Msg #282975

Re: yep, heard of it & hate it

This is a interesting topic, faxing/scanning back a lot of the signed doc package. Last week I was called to do a 200 pg CW with some 60 pgs of fax backs. When I told the SS owner, who called me, of my charge for that, she said "you have done 2 of these for me recently, I don't see any need to fax back these docs".
I had always thought these fax backs were for checking if they were done right and not for use to start the funding process.
But I l aso thought that a lot of tis is because of the low ball SS that use SA that have little of no experience.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.