Notary Rotary
Question for Ohio notary re: title transfer
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2009 Index

Posted by ReneeK_MI on 11/15/09 12:43pm
Msg #311045

It's Sunday. My husband drove down to Cincinnati early this morning and bought a motorcycle from someone. They both signed the title. Husband is now 1/2 way home and called ....he asked "Um ....why does this title have a place for someone to notarize?"

Well ...it appears from what I can glean off the internet that the older they get ....I mean, that the title needed to be notarized when these guys signed it - this morning, in OHIO.

After considering for 30 seconds all the miles behind him and all the miles left to go - he decided to just keep on driving and figure out what to do later.

That usually means "Honey, did you find out how to fix this yet?"

TIA for whatever you can offer me! =)

Reply by Todd/OH on 11/15/09 1:40pm
Msg #311048

Your husband can probably find someone to notarize it, that is if they don't care about their notary commission having not witnessed and ID'd the signer.

I had someone bring me a signed title and the signer's driver license. They initially misunderstood me and missed the part where the signer must be present. I explained and they replied, "You gotta be kiddin' me !!"

I haven't a clue how you fix this on a Sunday. Ohio titles haven't changed since I bought my first car in 1978.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 11/15/09 1:49pm
Msg #311051

I'm thinking he'll have to mail this title back to the seller (oh yeah ...THAT'LL feel real good) and the seller will have to get his part notarized, then send it back here?

There has to be a legal way to fix it, and there has to be a way to get separate notarizations - since there HAS to be other people from out of state who have oops'ed on this?

Or do I get to tell him "No, honey ....only you."????!!!

Reply by Todd/OH on 11/15/09 2:05pm
Msg #311053

What the seller should have done is sign the form with a notary present, then give it to your hubby. Some way or other, the seller needs to fix his end.

There are likely others who have done this. My son sold a car to a guy on a Sunday. It just so happened that I was around. The buyers needs is signature notarized as well. In this case, the buyer said he would find someone. Go for it, my friend.

Reply by Todd/OH on 11/15/09 2:07pm
Msg #311054

You also get to tell him...

anything you want. Ah - the Power of the Spouse.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 11/15/09 2:48pm
Msg #311056

Oh for Pete's sake - ok, now let's try KY

So after Todd and I get this all nailed down ... I spoke again to my husband, and he tells me "OH, no, it wasn't REALLY in Ohio - it was in Kentucky, but just across the river."

Anyway, I think I've got this figured out - the seller who REALLY lives in KY can go tomorrow and apply for a duplicate title, then sign the duplicate off/over to my husband (PROPERLY), and mail it here. Meantime, we can hold onto the (useless) title as some kind of fuzzy binkie until the Real Deal gets here.

These are both grown men with college degrees and quite a few 'miles' behind them - I'm finding it all pretty amusing! =)

Reply by MikeC/NY on 11/15/09 5:39pm
Msg #311062

So, basically what you're saying is...

... that your husband was so focused on the motorcycle that he didn't even know where he was when he bought it? Does he have this problem often? Smile

Does KY even require a notarized transfer of title?

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 11/15/09 8:10pm
Msg #311067

Re: I get this problem quite often..

I have people bringing me titles all the time and often times it has been signed by the seller but not notarized. I advise them to find the seller have it notarized then you can have it transferred. Of course they will ask me to notarize it anyway..and they say the notary across town will do it! Sorry I will not do that!
They usually return to me when the buyers signature has been notarized. At least I help educate the public, one person at a time.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/15/09 9:36pm
Msg #311071

Re: Oh for Pete's sake - ok, now let's try KY

Interesting scenario, Renee. I think you have a good plan worked out. Whether it be your husband or not, I don't think the general public thinks about a vehicle title transfer needing to be notarized.
After all, how many people even know what a notary does??? Cute story & thanks for sharing it.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 11/15/09 6:37pm
Msg #311064

KY title transfer rules

http://www.dmv.org/ky-kentucky/title-transfers.php

Selling a Vehicle

If you’ve ever purchased a vehicle, you understand the concerns buyers experience. Handing over a large chunk of cash for a product that must be reliable, durable, and safe can be stressful, but you can ease your buyer’s worries when you offer them a Vehicle History Report (VHR). A VHR provides information about a vehicle’s history, and helps the buyer understand exactly what he’s purchasing.

Once you have a buyer, take the following steps to transfer the title:

1. Make sure both you and the buyer completes, dates, and signs the current title, as well as have it notarized.
2. Complete and have notarized with the seller an Odometer Disclosure Statement.
3. Complete and have notarized with the seller a Bill of Sale. You may want to keep a copy for your records.
4. Give the paperwork to the buyer so he can visit his County Clerk’s office within 30 days to complete the transaction. Of course, you can tag along to make sure the vehicle is no longer in your name.

Top Buying a Vehicle
New Cars

When you purchase a new vehicle, your dealer will handle the title transfer for you.

However, you may be able to save some time and money when you shop online for a new vehicle before heading straight to the dealership.
Used Cars

Shopping for a pre-owned vehicle can help you save money―especially when you order a VHR and find out exactly what you’re getting.

Once you know what kind of vehicle you’re looking for, make sure you shop around for an auto finance option that suits your budget and an affordable car insurance policy that meets minimum coverage requirements.

When you’re ready to transfer the title, take the following steps:

1. Complete, sign, date, and have notarized the title with the seller.
2. Make sure the seller properly records the odometer reading on the Odometer Disclosure Statement, then sign and date the statement and have it notarized.
3. Complete, sign, date, and have notarized a Bill of Sale with the seller.
4. Visit your County Clerk’s office within 30 days to complete the transaction and pay the title-only fee of $9. Be sure to bring proof of insurance and picture identification.

Your County Clerk’s office handles vehicle titles and registrations, so you may want to handle both during the same visit. Refer to Car Registration for information about registering your vehicle.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.