Notary Rotary
Interesting reading - The Unlawful Notary
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2010 Index

Posted by PAW on 8/5/10 7:39pm
Msg #347862

Notaries, you know the rules. We all do. You have to do it right. But often notaries are asked to make exceptions to the rules, by friends, family, and employers; and when they do, these notaries frequently find themselves before a judge explaining why, and paying huge settlements to cover the damage done by their actions! Some of the cases detailed in this article resulted in large settlements and some did not; some are not yet resolved. All notary wrongdoing may be subject to fines, judgments against your good name, damage to your reputation and employability, and worse! Read the following documented cases against notaries, (some of which you may have seen before) and think of these whenever you want a reason to refuse to cooperate with unlawful requests.

And now, for the rest of the story ... http://pawnotary.com/documents/The%20Unlawful%20Notary.pdf

Reply by Paul2_FL on 8/5/10 8:09pm
Msg #347865

Thanks Paul Very interesting! n/m

Reply by James Dawson on 8/6/10 2:27am
Msg #347893

Wow...thanks for sharing..notaries are just as bad as any...

one else aren't WE. I like....."According to their findings, the employer can and will be held responsible for the employee’s actions, including negligent ones, as long as those actions take place within the scope of the employee’s duties. This is commonly referred to as vicarious liability.

" Kinda explain the entire hand holding and disclaimer issue for some SS HUH?

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/6/10 5:44am
Msg #347897

Re: Wow...thanks for sharing..notaries are just as bad as any...

Not really. We're not employees of SS, TC.

Reply by James Dawson on 8/6/10 8:11am
Msg #347899

True...some of us are not. I stand corrected. n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 8/6/10 8:37am
Msg #347901

Which is exactly why Fedex is no longer offering notary

services. I understand they were held liable for an employee's carelessness in handling a notarization. Remember, there are still a lot of "just stamp & sign" notaries our there.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/6/10 8:39am
Msg #347902

Oops, meant to say Fedex Office (formerly Fedex Kinkos) n/m

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 8/6/10 9:12am
Msg #347905

Thaks for the info Paul. Good reminders. n/m

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 8/6/10 12:17pm
Msg #347928

Re: Interesting reading - Thank you. n/m

Reply by Tess on 8/6/10 12:45pm
Msg #347934

Re: PA now requires education classes before commission, and

upon renewals!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/6/10 3:58pm
Msg #347965

Important reading, especially for newbies

In fact, I think this would be a good thing to add to message 33325. Anyone else agree?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.