Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just wondering. Do you check package before leaving home?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2010 Index

Posted by JanetLA on 8/13/10 8:27am
Msg #348795

Do you check for typos and to make sure the docs are right? I typically only check for completeness of package and lately I have had some names, etc spelt incorrectly on docs and even some other craziness on warranty deeds (no place for buyers to sign and more). Do you check everything before leaving home?

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 8/13/10 8:28am
Msg #348796

If there is time, I do check them.

Reply by bob/IA on 8/14/10 3:22pm
Msg #348955

Almost always check docs before I leave, look them over, put them in the order I prefer to present them. However, 2 nights ago, last minute rush order, print and go. Get to borrowers pull docs out of brief case and they appear to be in Russian. Still not sure what caused it, but back home I went, called TC they re emailed docs, reprinted , back to borrowers. All turned out well but never again will I not check docs

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 8/15/10 3:53pm
Msg #349007

Bob, you & I went to the same school, learned the hard way! n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/13/10 8:51am
Msg #348800

I make time on each signing and go through entire package - set up notary certs in advance while borrower copy is printing - check names, check for printing errors,

Typo's other than name? No - that's what Correction Agreement/LPOA is for...not my job to proof-read and spell check title/lender's work.

In FL, buyers do not sign Warranty Deed - at least none I've come across - so this is a non-issue for me.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 8/13/10 9:00am
Msg #348801

I do the same as Linda. Spelling of someones name can be easily fixed so I don't make it an issue. I do check if funds owed and match HUD to rest of pkg. And I prepair acknowledgements in advance.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 8/13/10 9:03am
Msg #348803

Basically the same as Linda n/m

Reply by PAW on 8/13/10 9:36am
Msg #348817

I agree that buyers typically do not sign a deed of conveyance. However, I've noticed more and more title companies getting buyers initials or signatures on the deeds. The main reason is for the buyers to check the vesting information. Names, especially the spelling of them, form of ownership and mailing address are often messed up.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/13/10 9:04pm
Msg #348906

I do not print and run.....

Like Linda, I *make* time to go through each package, flag notarized docs, this way I know exactly how many journal line entries per borrowers. On a recent signing, I starting printing docs and noticed that some were cut off. Looking at the screen I realize two boxes were unchecked that normally stay checked: (1) Auto-Rotate and Center and (2) Choose paper source by PDF page size. I'm used to those boxes being checked. Got complacent and wasn't paying attention.

Because I wasn't paying attention, I wasted 100 sheets unnecessarily. What a headache and aggravation I would have caused for myself (and the borrowers) had I started the printing and walked away to do other things. Then just collected both bundles and rushed off to a signing. Borrowers may have plans and aren't obligated to wait around for me to fix the mess I created by not checking the docs.

I will always take the time to review the package before heading off to the signing.

Reply by Cari on 8/13/10 9:24am
Msg #348809

I do take the time to scan over all documents to make sure the name are correct, and get the not certs together, but sometimes, I've missed a few, and had to call it in...but nothing major that would delay funding....

Reply by anotaryinva on 8/13/10 9:45am
Msg #348819

Yes, I've had two in the past two weeks with the wrong address, one TC corrected it, one TC chose not to.

TC that didn't correct said that they used the address that was on the original deed, this was not a typo of the street, this was a street that doesn't exist. It was frustrating, there was plenty of time
for them to correct at the very least the hud, the deed and the note.

Reply by Dennis_IN on 8/13/10 10:01am
Msg #348823

I compare the name(s) with the TC instructions. Twice this week there were variations so I called to confirm the correct spelling. I also arrange the docs so the signing flows smoothly. HUD, Note, Mtg, TIL, RTC first, then the rest of the pkg., I get the borrower through the critical docs then the rest of the docs flow fairly quick.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 8/13/10 10:15am
Msg #348826

Dennis has it right!

Too many notaries do not realize how taking the time before the signing to check the documents for accuracy and to arrange the documents properly can make the difference between a difficult signing and a smooth and enjoyable.

The borrowers are so appreciative of a notary who is confident, organized and mindful of the borrowers major concerns about their loan and about their time.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/13/10 10:20am
Msg #348827

I've been told several times to NOT rearrange the

docs in the package - they are to be returned in the order received - the only thing I move is the HUD - that goes on top....I flag all the critical documents, in addition to the ID Verification forms, to review first but leave them in the order they came in (obviously removing the flags before returning the package)..

MHO

Reply by Frank/NC on 8/13/10 10:13am
Msg #348824

If nothing else, especially if it is a busy day, I check the docs to see they printed correctly and the printer cartridge was not out of toner. Also, to see that the docs weren't printed in some garbled manner which happens very seldom when they are sent with an odd ball program.
Although recently I had one where they did not send a RTC with the docs which I caught by flipping through them but honestly that was just a fluke to catch it right there.
It's just worth a quick once over that may prevent you from going back and sometimes driving a long distance.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/13/10 11:06am
Msg #348828

Always. I don't ever print & run. I print the docs, put

then in an order (HUD, Payment Letter, Note, DOT, TIL, RTC, etc. It's a little time invested upfront but makes for a very smooth closing. It really helps to have all the docs w/pertinent nos. in those first 8-10 pages. I remember a while back, when the lender would bury the payment letter 3/4 through the package. We'd get to it--it was not what they were up for, and the signing stopped. I don't do that anymore. Any issues can be cleared up early.

Reply by James Dawson on 8/13/10 11:18am
Msg #348829

This may create some discord but...I don't. I expect the

Documents to be correct just like the borrower does. I expect the Title company to do their job(s) correctly and I also hold the person sending the Docs to me responsible for correctness.

I don't think part of our job is quality control. If the documents are incorrect how am I suppose to know. How do you spell Sherimeka or O'blameroski? That's suppose to be funny okay?

Anyway I look for Docs that may be missing that I know should be in the package. If there's a mistake when I get there, I call and ask what is it they want to do about. Line out? Redraw, they're paying, there choice. That what I do JanetLA.

Reply by Lavergne Manuel on 8/13/10 11:58am
Msg #348832

Re: This may create some discord but...I don't. I expect the

Most companies want you to leave the docs in the order they were sent and thats what I do. The only document I may move it the HUD. On the fourth page of the HUD you have all the information that the borrower would probably be interested in. Amount of loan, Interest Rate. Term of the loan, Payment amount etc.... I show them that and tell them we will run across all of this on documents in the package and I will show you when we get there. Works for me.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/13/10 12:56pm
Msg #348837

It's interesting that you posted this today. I don't normally check for things beyond having HUD, Note, TIL, RTC, DOT in the package. If I happen to notice something that doesn't look right, such as husband and wife on DOT but only one name on TIL and RTC, I will bring it to the attention of the TC and ask for clarification whether spouse should sign these docs.

I have a package that I received today where the spouse is on the Note, but not on the 1003. Also, spouse is on the DOT but not on the RTC. These are both inconsistencies. I did ask the TC, and they said spouse is not on the Note and they will resend a new Note without her name on it. They will also send new RTC with spouse's name included on it.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/13/10 2:42pm
Msg #348857

I never check

Other than taking a quick peek at the name on the front page to make sure they didn't send me the documents for somebody else. My fee structure does not include me doing quality control checks for somebody else, and if I were to spend 5 minutes on each package, it would cost me about 30-35 hours a year of extra, unpaid work. Why should I assume that cost if I'm not the one making the mistakes?

In over 7 years of doing loan signings I could count on 1 hand the number of signings where a critical doc, that I would have noticed if I had checked the package, was missing. As for misspelled names, how do I know how they spell it? I've gotten plenty of confirmations where the name ended up being misspelled, so comparing to that isn't fail safe, I've seen oddly spelled names that I would have assumed were misspelled, but really weren't, and making phone calls to determine the correct spelling of the name just ends up costing more time.

If companies can't send out correct docs, they deserve to eat the cost of getting them fixed. I'd rather eat the cost of an occasional full signing fee that turns into a trip fee than eat the guaranteed cost of 30+ hours a year doing somebody else's job for them. And in over 7 years of doing loan signings, I've never had a single time where they tried to pass the blame onto me for not checking the package before I went to the signing. And as we all know, these companies are NOT shy about trying to blame the notaries for their mistakes.

Reply by garland/CA on 8/13/10 3:20pm
Msg #348864

Always check names and verify with borrowers

I check the name on the notarized docs (usually DOT) and confirm with borrower they have ID to match that name (spelling, Sr or Jr, middle name or initial...). If their driver's license doesn't have it, see if they have other satisfying ID (such as passport, CA state ID card, etc), or if necessary, have them arrange for credible witnesses. This saves a lot of time and trouble at the table. If I have the HUD at the time I call I check to see if funds are due. If there is time I leaf through the loan package to see if there is anything else unusual. This makes me more knowledgeable about their loan package when I arrive.
I don't spend a lot of time on this but a brief scanning can help things go more smoothly.

Reply by Jason Berger on 8/13/10 5:52pm
Msg #348889

Only thing I check is that the same number of attachments that come via email are the same number in my package, other than that, I just go. It's on the LO or TC at that point if they forget something.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/14/10 8:51am
Msg #348941

"same number of attachments that come via email are the same number in my package, other than that, I just go. It's on the LO or TC at that point if they forget something"

And IF in those attachments there's supposed to be a Note..and there's not (or only 2 of 3 required pages)....the prudent notary will see that by checking the package first and know they either had a printing problem to fix, or a call to title is warranted - yes it's on them - with your support..because yes,**it happens...and it needs fixing before you're at the table.

MHO

Reply by anotaryinva on 8/13/10 7:24pm
Msg #348899

Re: Just wondering. Do you check package before leaving home? n/m

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 8/14/10 5:44am
Msg #348933

I do

I have 3 objectives, all equally important: I want each pkg to be properly signed/notarized; to be fundable; and to record. I am a contract closer, not 'just' a notary - but I also know what I'm looking at and know where to look, and honestly - checking things doesn't take me longer than stacking it, maybe 5 minutes tops, while copy pkg prints.

Things jump out at me usually. Recently, I had pkg with street as as "Rose Terr" - well, THAT didn't sound right, mapping it I found "Rose Terrace". I checked USPS - danged if the street isn't really (officially) "Rose Terr". Okie-dokie, fine with me. Took me all of 30 seconds to check, no phone call needed, had I waited 'till I got to the table I'd have called on that (seemed like an obvious typo, though it wasn't). PLUS - lenders don't usually let a bad address slide, and I am NOT about to do hand-corrections on an address to an entire pkg. They can fix/resend OR I'll ONLY fix the funding docs (or collateral pkg or 'legals' or whatever name you use).

Just had an A/K/A that showed the wife a/k/a the husband. Um ...maybe not? Called while printing, in case they had some weird doc in file that NEEDED to be tied that way. This, too, jumped out at me while I was setting up my cert on that, I really don't comb through - but it was way easier making that quick call before I got to the table. I know there COULD'VE been a reason to need it that way, and I know I couldn't just arbitrarily have that 'corrected' by the wife.

Names & address I can't help but notice, and I MUCH prefer dealing with these beforehand, that's my motivation to notice.

Printing & running off w/out stacking as is my protocol, which allows me to take the glance at the important stuff - almost always invokes Murphy's Law, for me. Last time I did that, drove practically to Egypt and sit down at the table ...first 5 or 10 pages were fine, then ...all completely blank. Fun. Borrower's copy was identical.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/14/10 10:16am
Msg #348943

This reminds me of the stories I hear from borrowers, how

the last notary sat there & fumbled through the package. IMO stacking is important, not to mention checking every page to make sure it printed correctly. It's a myth that companies want everything returned in the order they sent it. Yes, they don't want everything just thrown together, but I've never had one complaint about the way I return a package.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.