Notary Rotary
When to start a new journal
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2010 Index

Posted by ajd/pa on 8/3/10 4:46pm
Msg #347459

I think that this may be a personal preference type of thing, but I am just curious about this one. Would any of you start a new journal when you renew your comission, or just when you finish the old one? I am curious since my comission is renewed for September and I am not sure if I just keep going with the old one or start anew.
Interested to see what others do.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/3/10 4:59pm
Msg #347462

When the old one is full, regardless of a renewed commission or not.

Reply by Alz on 8/3/10 11:11pm
Msg #347490

Ditto...At least this is the case

in California according to the SOS Handbook.

Reply by LatteLady/NV on 8/4/10 12:19am
Msg #347492

Re: Ditto...At least this is the case

What if your journal is starting to come undone? It hasn't totally fallen apart yet, but the book has split in two in the binding area. The pages are still in tact and sewn together, but my book is literally split in two, yet still glued to the cover on the front and back.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/4/10 12:56am
Msg #347498

Did you buy the one on this site? I have never had them come apart before I fill it up .......

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/4/10 6:32am
Msg #347507

If that's the case, I don't see a problem with closing that one out and starting a new one. If it were me, I would cross out all the remaining unused pages. However, my state does not require a journal so I have no regulations on what I *have* to do.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 8/4/10 12:25am
Msg #347494

Unless your state's SOS specifically states otherwise, I'd say the same thing as Glenn.

I have heard of some notaries that will close out their journals at the end of each calender year (personal preference on their part for record keeping purposes) otherwise they fill the journal up before starting a new one.

Reply by ajd/pa on 8/4/10 6:53am
Msg #347508

Thank you all for your thoughts. I kind of thought that was the case, but I just wanted to see what others might do. I still have several pages to go in this one and was not sure about getting a new one. So I will wait until I get closer to the end of this one.

Reply by Gavina Franklin on 8/4/10 9:38am
Msg #347535

I asked the same question to the Secretary of State

Dear Ms. Franklin:

Government Code section 8206 states in part.... A notary public shall keep one active sequential journal at a time, of all official acts performed as a notary public.

To view the complete code section, please refer to page 27 of the 2009 Notary Public Handbook available on our website at www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/handbook.htm.

Within 30 days from the date the notary public commission is no longer valid, the notary public must deliver all notarial journals, records and papers to the county clerk's office where the oath is on file. (Government Code section 8209)

Sincerely,
Notary Public Section

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/4/10 1:49pm
Msg #347570

Re: I asked the same question to the Secretary of State

What you've posted is good information, but it only affects California notaries. The original poster is from Pennsylvania, so this wouldn't have any relevance for them.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.