Notary Rotary
A marketing lesson for us ....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Glenn Strickler on 1/10/11 5:20pm
Msg #367875

He may have been irritating, but our little buddy who picked up his toys and left, ( he also took his profile from the numbers site) we can learn something about marketing. While I do question his claimed experience, (his profile said "since 2004 and 100 loans completed") as Brenda correctly pointed out, when you use a his zip code and the word "notary" in a search engine, he is all over the place.

It does show that if you are persistent and work at it, you can get your name out there.

So, lets think about that part of this experience for a while next time the question comes up "How do I marked myself?"

Reply by James Dawson on 1/10/11 5:27pm
Msg #367879

I fully agree with you there.....and , very will done!

Reply by Dillon/NC on 1/10/11 5:29pm
Msg #367880

It amazed me! Just the number of (what I consider intelligent) people he got to play him game.

Reply by Dillon/NC on 1/10/11 5:30pm
Msg #367882

Sorry, meant to say "his game".

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/10/11 5:36pm
Msg #367886

Geeze it s/b "How do I market myself." n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/10/11 5:37pm
Msg #367888

Re: A marketing lesson for us .... sort of

It depends on the area - if he's in a small town and there's not many notaries there, it's easy to do.

If you google my zip code and notary I show up too - because we have 400-500 people in my town and I think I'm the only notary here!! (unless someone snuck in when I wasn't looking)... I also show up in the adjacent zip codes - either at the top of the page or no lower than 4th on page 1....and it's not marketing since that's one area I'm really lax in - and I doubt it's my posts here...it's the demographics.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/10/11 5:52pm
Msg #367894

That is very true Linda.....you can't even find me unless it's the XYZ site or here!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/10/11 5:59pm
Msg #367898

We moved from a city with a population of about 50,000 to a town of 400-500....talk about culture shock!!!,,,LOL

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 1/10/11 6:12pm
Msg #367901

I just checked mine.

I have the bottom 3 below another notary with only an address, UPS, and FedEx.

Reply by Dennis_IN on 1/10/11 6:23pm
Msg #367905

Re: A marketing lesson for us ....I got a call

Friday while I was in the car driving to my next appointment. The woman said she saw my magnet sign on my car, was able to copy the phone # and she was just behind me. We set an appointment for later in the day. When I put the sign on my car my daughter said it sign was lame, now I remind her that it helps pay for her schooling. You just never know when and where your marketing efforts will pay off. All I know is that you should never stop marketing your business.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 1/10/11 6:45pm
Msg #367912

He was incredibly annoying and un professional. He did not seem to understand what the posters were saying. I kept wondering if he wasn't a disaster at the table with borrowers. I wouldn't have hired him if he had references from Trump. He somehow was not believeable.
100 signings in 6 yrs......

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/10/11 6:59pm
Msg #367914

I didn't find him that annoying.

I have learned that after awhile frisky posters generally settle down.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/10/11 7:32pm
Msg #367920

IMHO marketing is only as good as the product you're

marketing. Yes, you can get super agressive, get lots of "hits" and still be a bust.
It isn't just about the #s game, it's about the #s you produce. He accumulated a lot of #s of posts here, but didn't really say anything or contribute. Sorry, but I thought it was just "noise".

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/10/11 8:21pm
Msg #367932

I don't think that makes him a good marketer

He just happens to be pretty good at knowing how to make search engines work for him. That alone doesn't make him a good marketer. He may be visible, but he makes an awful impression.

Reply by Les_CO on 1/11/11 11:01am
Msg #367987

Re: I don't think that makes him a good marketer

A question…after reading his posts here, suppose he was your neighbor and you were completely booked, and had a call from someone (desperately) needing a NSA. Who here would recommend him?
I don’t call displaying to the world that you are an, unprofessional, uninformed, uneducated borderline psychotic to be good marketing.
If I’m booked I recommend other notaries here in the Denver area that I know to be professionals. They are in one respect my competition, but they will do a good job, and I care about the service my clients get. I’ve had many clients thank me for the recommendations, but still call me back when they need a signing done.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/11/11 11:33am
Msg #367998

You're right Les, Marketing skills, must also include professionalism and customer service. The "who would you recommend question" ought to bring up some interesting ideas.

Reply by Les_CO on 1/11/11 1:44pm
Msg #368029

I guess I should have added:If your competition will recommend you, you must be doing something right!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.