Notary Rotary
A word about texting (somewhat long)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Glenn Strickler on 1/6/11 12:50pm
Msg #367324

Under pressure from my kids, I began texting last year. I got a phone with a qwerty keypad and began. As a person who hates what texting has done to grammar in this country, I set out with the promise to myself that I would not succumb to abbreviation. No small task for me, as while I can see numbers and do calculations in my head without benefit of a calculator, I struggle with the English language.

Enter the smart phone. This thing is great. It allows me to add words, gets trained to what word I may want to use next and now that I have trained it, it will suggest the next word I need sometimes by my only entering 1 or 2 letters. Now I can text with the speed of those who butcher the language and still use proper capitalization and grammar. Now what has happened, I have shamed those I text to into doing the same thing without saying a word. One small step for “grammar.”

Why would I post about this? Yesterday, there was a thread about the importance of professionalism in both communication and our profiles when advertising. I did not join in because it seemed that those trying to give advice would have better luck talking to a bush in their yard. But now, I want to pass on my experience of today.

I missed a call, and instead of leaving a voice mail, the person sent me a text. I replied to the text with the information needed and went on about my business. In short order, my phone rang and the person who hired me was on the other end. Once we got past the basics, she then told me that she had a lot of responses by text, but choose me because anyone who takes the time to be that professional while texting is sure to be professional at the signing table.

So you young'ns out there that think you have nothing to learn from us old farts, may want to pay attention.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/6/11 12:58pm
Msg #367326

*Once we got past the basics, she then told me that she had a lot of responses by text, but choose me because anyone who takes the time to be that professional while texting is sure to be professional at the signing table.*

Please ask Harry to delete this. It's another stunning revelation about how to get work...I hate when those things are floating around for those who are not paying attention to detail; they are harming those of us who are dotting all of our I's and crossing our T's.

Pun intended.

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/6/11 1:02pm
Msg #367327

I believe in communicating in a professional way. Whether I'm speaking, emailing, or texting, I'm mindful of how I present myself. When texting, I use full sentences, I don't abbreviate, I don't say lol, omg, lmao, or any other such nonsense, and certainly much to the chagrin of yesterday's marketing genius, I use proper grammar and punctuation when texting and emailing. I do this in business AND personal texts and emails.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/6/11 1:10pm
Msg #367329

I use text everyday...I even text back that the signing was completed (when I get in my car before leaving) to the hiring party. I ask the borrower if they mind my contacting them via text if need be after introducing myself and I keep my family aware of where I am/going via text.

I mentioned this about six months ago and the idea didn't really go over so well on this forum.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/6/11 2:02pm
Msg #367347

I don't text unless the other party does it first. Until then, you don't know how they feel about it. They could be an old grump like me.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/6/11 2:52pm
Msg #367367

LOL Ditto....ol' texter' that us... n/m

Reply by ToniK on 1/6/11 1:23pm
Msg #367333

As a person who does 5000+ texts a month, facebook, twitter and many other social sites and happens to be 31 yrs old. If a business or anyone who wants to conduct business with me has the time to send a text, they have the time to pick up the phone and speak with me. I do not text when it comes to Notary business. But as for my other business, I'll text due to the type of clientele but that is very rare as most of my clientele are friends.

I must be old school for still answering the phone or expecting a phone call for notary business.

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/6/11 1:32pm
Msg #367334

I have one scheduler who asked me if she could text me instead of calling me (she has since moved on to another position in the company). I loved it. She'd text me first before making any calls to anyone else. I received a lot of business that way. And it was absolutely no disruption if I was in a signing. My phone would quietly vibrate, and while the borrower was signing a document I just quickly typed in "confirmed," and it was done.

If someone wants to send me business, they can send it to me however they like.

Reply by ToniK on 1/6/11 1:39pm
Msg #367336

Iphone syncs emails and notifies you with Push features

One of the greatest things about Iphone and Itouchs. In addition, I have a message I use if Im in a signing that states for them to send me an email. Therefore my iphone vibrates or dings when I get an email.

Reply by Aaron Marshall on 1/6/11 1:34pm
Msg #367335

A word of caution is in order here...
If you are going to do any Notary business via text messages, that is fine, but please make sure
to ask people to confirm that they received the text. I.E.: "Please confirm". You can at least then document that they did receive the information. If it's crucial that it be truly documented, put the info in an email. I will sometimes even send someone an email or ask them to send me one if I have a conversation with someone and I want to document what was said and when.
There is just far too much "He said, she said" going on in the world these days unfortunately and we are all better safe than sorry. You really don't want to get the call from your SA or Lender's Attorney saying that the loan failed to close because you failed to provide XYZ information and they want to hold you liable...

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/6/11 2:04pm
Msg #367349

Great point ..

At@t if famous for not relaying texts in a timely manner.

Reply by Dawn/PA on 1/6/11 1:42pm
Msg #367338

I also use complete sentences and correct grammar 99% of the time while texting. My 18 year old daughter has texted that way (well to her dad and & I anyway) and my 17 year old son does most of the time as well.

Like Al, I will take business coming in via email, texting, phone....just get a hold of me.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/6/11 1:58pm
Msg #367345

Yeehaw! I feel the same way. I thought I was pretty smart until I bought the Smart Phone. Now I'm way smarter and working smarter too!

Reply by HisHughness on 1/6/11 2:50pm
Msg #367366

FWIW...

I'm ROFLMAO @ OldFart hu cant rite N txt r Ntrpret it. JTUHOAOF (Just The Unfettered Honest Opinion of Another Old Fart).

Actually, not <TOO> honest, since that's the very first and, I strongly suspect, will be the very last text message I have ever composed. How'd I do?

Reply by Richard Ingram on 1/6/11 5:11pm
Msg #367375

Glen,
I am not much into texting but appreciate the good grammar part Trying to make myself buy a Smart Phone but really haven't seen the need. I can't talk as fast as these kids text today so I probably will just stick with my old phone.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/7/11 1:18pm
Msg #367476

I resisted texting for a while. Another time-consumer, IMHO

I don't have all day to spend texting. It has become a valuable tool. Beware of what sites you give your cell phone no. to. They have "premium text message" charges. I have a block on my phone for it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.